.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road
Default campaign play against ai

when you play against the ai how high are your losses ?
i try to take zero causalities but sometimes its just impossible for me. especially in thoose wooded maps. you can pound the enemy for hours with mortars he will still fire back from time to time.
Old September 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Corporal

Sniper23 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: campaign play against ai

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo2000 View Post
when you play against the ai how high are your losses ?
i try to take zero causalities but sometimes its just impossible for me. especially in thoose wooded maps. you can pound the enemy for hours with mortars he will still fire back from time to time.
for me it depend's how big the battle is ,i just finished a company sized battle in MBT against Iraq and i took about 40-50 causalities
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Corporal

BadCompany is on a distinguished road

I suck at wooded maps, its harder to figure out where the enemy is so you need lots of scouts.Wood fighting is like urban fighting, its really close, and casualties can really mount up.

Tip:
If you have tanks, never send them in first.Like keep a tank behind a platoon or something like that.

This is what is happening my current generated Campiagn Germ vs Poland,Sept 1939.
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road

scouts are a bit useless imo they can not fight and especially in heavy wooded terrain they will be spotted aseasily asinf because the spotting distances are so small.

iguess the key to small causalities is not to slug itout but make violent attacks where the enemy is fully surpressed and then to getotas fast as possible because there will be some aty heading for you soon.

but for this you needvery good recon to know where everybody is.

and then there is this advanceover open terrain problem. on one hand you get less ambushes butyou can be spotted from everywhere and a mmg can ruin your day tearingup your squads from 800m and impossible to spot.

no easy game here
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Corporal

BadCompany is on a distinguished road

If you are fighting in open terrian, Smoke is KEY.Open Terrain is also best for armored warfare.
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Corporal

Sniper23 is on a distinguished road

i second that,smoke is very important in open terrian
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Private

deploy is on a distinguished road

I'm still learning the 'way of the woods' but now make my scouts 'priority 1'. Find your highest skilled(Inf Command, Experience and Rally) units and change them to scouts. The higher their ability the more likely they can walk right up to troops without being noticed. Second to this are snipers, though risky, firing at point blank range(one or two shots max) to yield 'pinned' opens the door for others. Motorcycles are very durable and can be used at a pinch. Though with all of them it's important to move one hex at a time. More hexes = more pain. Check all sides before firing

Flamming the woods with artillery can do a lot to increase suppression...allowing plain infantry to do a lot of the 'bouncing' work. Plus 'Z' fire can do a little...Stugs to the front(2 hexes).

Failing that avoid maps with more than a 3 woods level?

Good luck.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:01 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

Sending Kraftradschutzen into woods is useful if you have the time to dismount them they are small yet can usually survive to disengage any encountered enemy. This of course is assuming you can't avoid the woods.

Another tactic which I found works is actually a directive Rommel issued while pushing the 7th Pz Div thru France in 40, which made it SOP to fire HE into any place that looked like in could hide enemy forces along your Route Of Advance ROA. Wooded areas fall into category. This does require some artillery preplanning and insuring you have Panzers with some HE fire power along with the usual tank killers. MG fire can be effective in this role as well, especially if you have a lot of SdKfz 251's along.

This does not work for long against human commanders but against the AI some success should be possible. Killing the enemy with this tactic is not as important as suppressing him. Reaching the objective(s) with speed and suppressive power. This is ineffective when shotgun objectives are used. (Unrealistic anyway in my view)

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo2000 View Post
scouts are a bit useless imo they can not fight and especially in heavy wooded terrain they will be spotted aseasily asinf because the spotting distances are so small.

iguess the key to small causalities is not to slug itout but make violent attacks where the enemy is fully surpressed and then to getotas fast as possible because there will be some aty heading for you soon.

but for this you needvery good recon to know where everybody is.

and then there is this advanceover open terrain problem. on one hand you get less ambushes butyou can be spotted from everywhere and a mmg can ruin your day tearingup your squads from 800m and impossible to spot.

no easy game here
Scouts are your deadliest weapons
@ topic:
Your losses depend on your tactics, i like charging with infantry while air strikes strafe the enemy, and arty creates holes near their defensive line so i can hide my troops in there, rally, and... CHARGE!!!111!one!11one!1
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

I use to flip when a unit was destroyed. I've since learned it's a garantee that you're going to use somebody. Woods and cities are the worst. I like the Russian docterine - Line your troops up, hit every inch of ground with 122mm HE artillary or bigger (Katushas work great for this) and advance behind the fire. Flamethrowers are great assets, too.

Howard Tayer