.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old December 19th, 2008, 01:11 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Attack Assault battles

This obviosly varies based on terrain vision & other variables but vs a human player not the AI what do you think are reasonable odds for the attacker / assulter to stand a chance of winning. i.e. 3:1
I feel the defaults used by the game give the attacker a near impossible task versus a decent player.
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:19 AM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Attack Assault battles

There are so many variables, it's hard to be sure. The AI comes at the defender at 2.5 to 1 odds and it does apply a lot of pressure due to shear numbers. More prudent artillery usage, planned obstacle breaching and better approach routes and those numbers might be difficult to beat.

It also depends on if you are playing a stand alone game or in a campaign. In stand alone games, you can pick a force best for defending and still be realistic, where as in campaigns your core has to be more rounded for all missions. I just finished a campaign defend against the AI and my core has 31 tanks and tank destroyers and a couple of infantry companies. It's not the best force in the world to defend with. A few armor units were destroyed, but half of my remaining tanks and TDs were either immobilized or without main guns. The main causes were artillery and air strikes. Visibility was 25. Who expects air sorties with that visibility? Anyhow, I think a person would have really been able to take advantage of force not oriented to defensive missions.

Last edited by RERomine; December 19th, 2008 at 02:22 AM..
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:38 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

That is a good point if it is a one of battle defending with an infantry based force especially if dug in causes the attacker a big headache in my experience. seeing them is hard enough let alone killing
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Captain

Scouts do a good job of spotting dug in infantry. All you need is time. If it's a short battle, then all bets are off.
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Corporal

RT-Baseman is on a distinguished road

Hi RERomine,

you can defend a ai-assault with 7069:18606 points. I've an example (scenario in work) in which you lead a full equiped VGR (Volksgrenadierregiment) with two battalions and attached regimental troops in a prepared deep defence positions 1945. I think in this special case a human attacker can win with 2,5:1 odds. The ai has some problems to handle deep defences

Greetings

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip spscn385.zip (102.5 KB, 174 views)
Old December 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM

Captain

There's no doubt an assaulting AI can be beat, even if it has a 2.5:1 advantage. I just finished a battle where I estimate I spent 11,000 on defense. This was a February, 1944 battle. It's really difficult to say how much the AI spent because 27,500 points is going to cause it to run into the 500 unit limit. I got a decisive victory defending against that assault.

I'm just saying that a person controlling the same assaulting force could well have won.
Old December 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post
There's no doubt an assaulting AI can be beat, even if it has a 2.5:1 advantage. I just finished a battle where I estimate I spent 11,000 on defense. This was a February, 1944 battle. It's really difficult to say how much the AI spent because 27,500 points is going to cause it to run into the 500 unit limit. I got a decisive victory defending against that assault.

I'm just saying that a person controlling the same assaulting force could well have won.
Carl von Clausewitz: 6:1 advantage

maybe the ai can win with this odd?
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-Baseman View Post

Ouch! The way the AI takes artillery, if you don't have fast artillery on, you could end your turn and go on holiday while it fires
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post
Quote:

Ouch! The way the AI takes artillery, if you don't have fast artillery on, you could end your turn and go on holiday while it fires
Yes, of course. But the rounds need time to be fired. An dyou can go shopping in zhe meantime.

Carl von Clauswitz had the opinion, that an 6:1 odd is a goal an attacker should have, if he wanted to win an attack (military treatise "On war"). Maybe it ist worth a try, to bulid a scenario with this odds and try to defend succesful?
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Captain

Quote:
Carl von Clauswitz had the opinion, that an 6:1 odd is a goal an attacker should have, if he wanted to win an attack (military treatise "On war"). Maybe it ist worth a try, to bulid a scenario with this odds and try to defend succesful?
I think that premise of 6:1 odds held even into the modern era, IIRC. Western military strategy was to destroy attacking Warsaw pact forces at a rate of 5:1 to effectively maintain what in game terms would be a draw. Consequently, you could conclude that 6:1 odds would be considered to be overwhelming. I don't think that strategy was built on standing fast, however. It was more of a retrograde strategy where land was exchanged for time to mobilize forces necessary to execute offensive operations.

Against the AI, a retrograde strategy might be difficult. You could prepare several positions, at least for infantry and fall back to those. It would involve surrendering the flags. In a large enough battle, it's possible to inflict so many casualties on the AI assaulting forces you can do no worse than a draw even if you lose all the flags and have your force totally destroyed.

Terrain, visibility, force experience and time all play a factor in that, yet what you suggest is interesting. It's probably not possible for a defender to win at those odds in game terms. Displacing to alternate positions might not be possible if the AI is blowing the countryside apart with artillery. The defenders coming out of their entrenchments could be a sure way to get them destroyed.

I might try it anyhow since most of my defends are within campaigns where I have to use the force I've built for all mission types and not just defends. That leaves me with tanks that may not be suited for defensive actions. A hand picked defensive force might do better.

Last edited by RERomine; December 20th, 2008 at 12:43 PM..