The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 25th, 2003, 12:49 AM

Captain

Grandpa Kim is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you tough enough to be the "King of the Hill"?

Grandpa Kim vs. Gozguy approx. turn 54

I guess you would say we are in the deployment phase. The map is about as evenly split as you can make it and we are both building for the inevitable show down. Oddly enough, we both seem to have chosen the same basic strategy so it will be interesting to see who handles it better. After feeling out each others positions, we have settled down to dispute one system. I took one planet, then he mined my fleet, the touchy b*****d!

On a side note, I'm trying a tactic I haven't used since I played in tactical mode. We'll see how Goz like it.

http://se4-gaming.net/
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:51 AM

Corporal

Mathias_Ice is on a distinguished road

Krsqk Vs Mathias Ice : at about turn 118 or so the Green Meanies of Mathias Ice admitted defeat. Move my formidable opponent to the next level of the hill, and feed me to the next shark at the bottom.
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Krsqk is on a distinguished road

Mathias put up a nice game. He did jump into first place for a while, and also fielded some nice fleets with PPB IV against my DUC V fleets. I can't take too much credit for this win; I profited hugely by reading this thread, as well as Stone Mill's strategy articles--hopefully, next game I can put them all into practice with a little more finesse. Surrender came not a turn too soon for me; my three attack fleets were about to run out of supply just as I discovered his home system.

[edit] Yay. I get to move up to the bottom of the hill. That sounds like such a major accomplishment--"Congratulations! You finally made it up to the bottom!" I'm not sure how up to date the site is, but it looks like I'm going against Gandalph next.

[ May 26, 2003, 08:02: Message edited by: Krsqk ]

"Well, sir, at the moment my left processor doesn't know what my right is doing." - Freefall
Old May 26th, 2003, 09:19 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Well, that game went to BBegemott on turn 62. Was about to send in my attack force when his fleet comes through the same warp point. After his fleet blew mine away without a single loss, and checking the conditions around, I surrendered. Nothing I could do at that point.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old May 26th, 2003, 09:54 AM

Corporal

BBegemott is on a distinguished road

Yeah, ECM-3 + Maximum Training against ECM-1... You had to be extremely lucky to win that battle. Thanks for the game, Phoenix-D.

Up the hill I go again.
Old May 26th, 2003, 03:45 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

Trithian Empire (Slynky) -vs- Kif Hegemony (Mark the Merciful): 2405.5

(standard KOTH game: 1 medium starting homeworld)

Expansion and exploring as usual in the usual "circular" sort of galaxy. Ran into each other in the northeastern part of the map and established some boundaries there. Then, later, found each other in the southwestern part of the map.

Mark was in first place from the beginning and stayed there for the first 15 or 20 turns. Got me worried a bit. Then, I popped into 1st. Stayed there till very recently when he saw 1st place again for one turn. THAT got me plenty scared since I fell to 2nd place on the turn I had 7 cruisers come out of the shipyards!

But on to the action, such as it is for the moment. Mark has played mostly a defensive game up till now (though I am on the lookout for a change). I made the first advance (small one) into a "tentacle" in the Northeast. All I did was pave the way for a colony ship into a system where he had a few colonies. Plopped it down. He attacked my 4 carriers with 4 or 5 ships and lost all of them while taking down about 25 fighters. I launched all the rest of my fighters to move and sit at the warphole so the tentacle would be cut off from the rest of his empire.

In the Southwest, we shared a system. I put together a fleet near there and rushed into the attack hoping a sweeper capability of 80 mines would be enough. Wrong! Swept 80 mines and lost 5 ships to the remainder. Glassed the planet leaving the system to me at the loss of those ships. A few colony ships of his have encountered fighters here and there but no real advances till I moved 26 ships into a system I had never been in (in the Northeast). That's when I discovered he already had gained another colony type. Now he has gas and rock ability. There were no defenses to speak of and I popped the first colony of his and there is one left. Holding this system further cuts off the tentacle I mentioned before. Still no signs of a major fleet of his though to have gotten into 1st place for a turn, there must be one somewhere.

Strangely (or perhaps NOT so), he seems to have skipped fighter ability (not sure if it's OK to say stuff like that as I don't like to give away other people's ways of playing...but I mention it because he could easily change that approach in his next game). The only weapons we have seen of each others are DUCs and PDs.

(OK, OK, I'll quit running off at the mouth)
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

DavidG is on a distinguished road

Update from the Top of the Hill - The Beer Wars

After meeting on turn 4 the evil Viking empire quickly realized that the Dundas Rednecks society was, like their own, driven by the production and consumption of Beer. In a mocking gesture they transmitted a picture of themselves holding a large mug of Beer. Meanwhile their beer named ships began pouring into the Rednecks home system while their scouts began to wander the Rednecks territory in a drunken stuppor seeking the Rednecks brewing facilities.
The Vikings were soon evicted from the Rednecks system but came back a month later in a typical drunken Berzerkar Viking Rage.
To date the Vikings have eliminated the Rednecks 3 home systems but much to their dissapointment I'm sure discovered that the Rednecks had relocated all their brewing facilities to the rear.
Things look grim for the Rednecks. The current plan is to attempt to consume all the remaining Beer to keep it out of Viking hands.....
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:43 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

Two empires after my own heart!
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

LOL, nice summary DavidG

It is true. Much to the dismay of the Vikings, we could not take any of the breweries intact so far.
Even though we use massive tankers able to hold several MegaGallons, the range of the Viking fleets is severely reduced as the beer supplies are almost gone after a few months and the crews refuse to venture any further. In order to prevent mutiny, we have to resupply the beer reserves too often.

We have now established forward front-line breweries and with the latest technological breakthough, Zero-G transportable breweries, we are hopeful to have solved the logistical nightmare of keeping our crews in good supply.

Fully loaded Viking fleets are setting out to locate and take the Last secret hidden Redneck brewing facilities in uncharted territory.

edit: seeing the evil scheme of the Rednecks to consume all the remaining reserves puts the Viking captains under extreme time pressure...

Skøl,
Rollo

[ May 26, 2003, 16:15: Message edited by: Rollo ]
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:56 PM

Captain

Asmala is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Krsqk:
[edit] Yay. I get to move up to the bottom of the hill. That sounds like such a major accomplishment--"Congratulations! You finally made it up to the bottom!" I'm not sure how up to date the site is, but it looks like I'm going against Gandalph next.
Well, I admit that the name of the hill parts aren't best possible. Perhaps that crest-top combination would be better... I have to think about it.

Yep, Gandalph is your next opponent because the site is always up to date