.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 19th, 2003, 04:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new feature: random game

The way I started doing "random" AI opponents is through random number generator. I pick the nation I'm going to play, decide how many opponents I'd like to have and what their difficulty is going to be, and then have it generate that many random numbers from 1 to 16. It works, to a point.
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:28 AM

Sergeant

jeffr is on a distinguished road

Yeah, with DOM 1, I used a random number generator to pick the computer opponents too. One problem with this approach was that I knew from the beginning the number and nation of the opponents. If you don't know who your are facing, it is more difficult.

It would also be cool if the computer randomly generated your god, dominion settings and scales. You would be forced to adapt.

Hopefully, if the developers like this idea, and it is not too difficult to implement, they can include it in a patch.

I would also think it would make for some interesting multiplayer games.
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Well I can get as far as creating completely random opponents. The pretender, his magic, dominion strength, scales, castle, all that. Plus I can randomize all the game settings such as indie strength and magic site frequency. And even a random selection of a map.

[edited] I CAN set random opponents and their AI level. [/edited]

Now if a REAL programmer would speak up (someone who can create executable files) we could get a clickable icon for a random game

[ November 19, 2003, 15:20: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)