.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 19th, 2003, 10:37 PM

Default Re: C\'tis and the Dancers of Death

Quote:
Play a bit with the exact positioning of your Groups vs different indies to reduce casualities. Minor deployment differences can make a big difference and nailing the start is well worth it.
It's become sort of second habit to do this as I play more and more Dominions; but the reason I looked and this and let my befuddled mind kind of slither around the concept is my main issue with the AI.

The AI always starts out slow. I usually attack on Turn 2-3 with most races gearing to that initial rush to get gold/provinces. The AI is usually 2-5 Provinces behind even on Difficult/Impossible and most of the time I noticed their troop placement is less than optimal when I fight against it.

Does the AI have a script do anything in regards to positioning for Army weaknesses, use decoys (Undead/High Defense/Prot) for different types of archer/xbow. Hold and attack behind lines of mages who cast Mass Animates, etc?

This may belong in the AI thread; but it was presented here and is an AI issue.
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:27 PM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

Fanaticism can only help once some of the units from a squad have failed a morale check already. (It puts them back on an "unfailed" footing.) If that hasn't happened, it is totally useless. That being the case, the AI won't cast it when there's nobody around who can be helped by it.
Old November 20th, 2003, 12:22 AM

Sergeant

Keir Maxwell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
Does the AI have a script do anything in regards to positioning for Army weaknesses, use decoys (Undead/High Defense/Prot) for different types of archer/xbow. Hold and attack behind lines of mages who cast Mass Animates, etc?
When it comes to AI experiances I am not playing the same game as most it would seem - different settings I assume. I play indies 5 lotsa impossible AI's and I see lots of big AI armies. I have suffered the wrath of at least one very well put together army - see Machakan Musings footnote.

The AI is not going to be able to take subtle advantage of differences in matchups - this is too much to ask. What it can do, and when it gets a big army does do sometimes at least, is deploy its troops fundamentally right.

"What is he saying?" you ask "there is no right deployment." There is for alot of situations given the lack of terrain. Top ancients gamers work out how they wish to deploy their army and then adjust for terrain and opponent. No terrain so no major adjustments there and the computer isn't up to adjusting to opponents. So work out the best way to deploy the troops and do it.

Example:

Standard execute violence setup:

Mass of MI/HI on a decent frontage in the middle to the fore attracting attention. A strong center is incredibly important and who better for the job the cheap, tough, slow moving troops?

Archers (not necessary and dangerous for mages) fairly central, behind HI, and close enough so as to be able to shoot early but not get hit by to many stray arows aimed at HI.

HC - Held back on flanks with attack rear orders or attack closest.

Mages etc - Away from anything that can be chosen as a target by archers yet in range to cast their spells.

Flyers - To rear on hold and attack enemy rear.

Reserves - significant bodies of troops, not on archers target priorities list, deployed on top of mages etc on hold and attack to counter enemy break through troops, flankers and flyers.

This is pretty much the AI army of Van mentioned in Machakan Musings and it worked a treat. Not sure they had enough reserves but I didn't have flyers and the Van covered the flanks well enough.

A variation to this is the hold and attack mid board deployment based on lotsa shooties.

If the AI chooses between these two deployments based on an assessment of the capabilities of its troops then that would be fairly challenging - as long as it can get the armies together. If its decision is informed by intelligence as to the relative capability of the enemy army to perform the two central ways of fighting then we would be cooking with gas.

Cheers

Keir

[ November 19, 2003, 22:53: Message edited by: Keir Maxwell ]
Old November 20th, 2003, 01:29 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
OK, it's official, I suck at this game.
To offer a positive (for me) note: I started again, only I put the AIs on Easy. Well, that was my first ever victory (demo only: I've had many games stop at turn 40, but this was my first game with Dominion victory)... About turn 25, after a quick war with Tien'Chi, I noticed that Ermor's dominion was higher than mine, and getting close to the goal, so I started pumping out cheap Priests and building Temples, and moved my armies to attack Ermor and kill some of their Dominion. And by turn 30 or so, I ascended...
Old November 20th, 2003, 02:26 AM

Sergeant

Keir Maxwell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
[To offer a positive (for me) note:
. . .
And by turn 30 or so, I ascended... [/QB]
Congragulations!
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:38 AM

Major General