vic is on a distinguished road
Default Command & Control question

Long campaign. Given a company formation such that:
B0 Unit (Company commander)
B1 Unit
C Platoon (4 units)
D Platoon (4 units)
E Platoon (4 units)

In a battle of a long campaign B0 was destroyed and repaired during the repair phase following that battle. During the deployment phase of the NEXT battle a curious thing was noted. In the HQ menu, unit B1 had the "C" next to it denoting it was now the company command unit (command evidently passing to B1 from B0 upon B0's destruction in the first battle); no problem there.

However, when clicking on either B0 or B1 in the HQ menu no attached formations (Platoons C, D & E) are listed. One cannot go to the cross-attach routine and assign platoons C, D or E to another company. When clicking on platoons C, D or E the HQ screen indicates they are assigned to company B. So evidently the game recognizes from the platoons perspective that the platoons are attached to the company but the company does not "see" its attached platoons nor can they evidently be re-assigned to another company formation.

Before the battle in which B0 was destroyed the HQ screen was as normal i.e. clicking on B company listed the attached platoons C, D and E.

A test of subsequent battles showed that this condition persists, i.e. clicking on B0 or B1 in the HQ menu shows no units attached (and re-assignment to another company is not possible) but clicking on C, D or E platoons show they are attached to company B.

Is this intentional? Does B1 have to be destroyed in a subsequent battle (so company command reverts to B0) in order to see/re-assign platoons C, D & E from the HQ menu? With B1 "in command" is there anyway to cross-attach/re-assign platoons C, D and E to other company formations?

Thank you!
Vic
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:56 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Command & Control question

Nothing curious at all - if the 0 unit is destroyed, the next available unit will become the commander. We already say that in the GG.

The rest may be a bug, I will investigate later.

Cheers
Andy
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:10 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Confirmed.

Bn support coy platoon HQ in my ongoing Soviet LC has dropped to the 3rd unit (C2), and selectiong "show coy details" will only show the HQ platoon.

Further down, the ski rifle coy has the HQ in the correct first slot - and it shows the subordinate platoons correctly. I'll try to detect the buglet (it may only be looking at the 0 unit perhaps?)

If you select a subordinate platoon - the CHQ is shown correctly however, and these can be cross assigned properly. (CHQs are directly under A coy and so cannot be cross attached in any case since it would be from A to A)

Cheers
Andy
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Private

Thanks...I knew about the "passing of command" on destruction of the "0" unit, hence my comment "no problem there". I'll try re-assigning by clicking on the attached platoons in the HQ menu rather than on the HQ platoon.

Best,
Vic
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Private

OK tried it and clicking on the subordinate platoons works fine, any platoon can be re-assigned. Thanks. Looks to be a "display issue" more than anything else.

Best,
Vic