Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:52 AM

Private

user38 is on a distinguished road
Disk WinSPWW2 Game Guide in epub format

Inspired by Cross I have converted the html game guide to epub format. I converted it using Caliber 4.75. I have tested it on my itouch and ipad using stanza. Given the format of the orginal html files it is only readable on the ipad in landscape mode. It doesn't really work on the itouch. I haven't tested it on my sony reader (because I haven't used it since I bought it).

It is a little rough. I have lost the yellow background so it is just black text on a white background. Most of the screenshots are a little small for my taste. I checked the html source code and it seems the screenshots are defined as 646 pixels wide by 505 pixels high, so they are only cover about 63% of the ipad screen. Not horrible but not perfect either.

Something strange happened to the formatting of the in-manual index. However, it is readable and the table of contents auto generated by calibre works well. For some reason the table of contents entries got shuffled and there is one superflous entry, but I think all the index entries are present. If the randomness of the table of contents bothers you I suggest placing a bookmark at the in-manual index and using that. The good news is that all the in-manual hyperlinks work (that is, the in-manual index and the in-manual links to other parts of the manual, and you can word search the document using stanza's word search function.

I have stolen some IP from the Shrapnel Games website (the game overview). If this is a concern please advise me and I will remove it and re-encode the epub.

Stephen
Attached Files
File Type: rar WinSPWW2 Game Guide (epub) v1.01.rar (14.79 MB, 665 views)

Last edited by user38; February 23rd, 2011 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: we are only human
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:31 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WinSPWW2 Game Guide in epub format

Quote:
Originally Posted by user38 View Post
Inspired by Cross I have converted the html game guide to epub format. I converted it using Caliber 4.75. I have tested it on my itouch and ipad using stanza. Given the format of the orginal html files it is only readable on the ipad in landscape mode. It doesn't really work on the itouch. I haven't tested it on my sony reader (because I haven't used it since I bought it).

It is a little rough. I have lost the yellow background so it is just black text on a white background. Most of the screenshots are a little small for my taste. I checked the html source code and it seems the screenshots are defined as 646 pixels wide by 505 pixels high, so they are only cover about 63% of the ipad screen. Not horrible but not perfect either.

Something strange happened to the formatting of the in-manual index. However, it is readable and the table of contents auto generated by calibre works well. For some reason the table of contents entries got shuffled and there is one superflous entry, but I think all the index entries are present. If the randomness of the table of contents bothers you I suggest placing a bookmark at the in-manual index and using that. The good news is that all the in-manual hyperlinks work (that is, the in-manual index and the in-manual links to other parts of the manual, and you can word search the document using stanza's word search function.

I have stolen some IP from the Shrapnel Games website (the game overview). If this is a concern please advise me and I will remove it and re-encode the epub.

Stephen
One problem with any of these 'alternate format' conversions is that they are immediately out of date on a new patch release - like the one coming in March...

As the only likely user-base of such conversion projects would be existing players, I don't think there should be any IP problems. Unlike (for example) some third party game using our icon artwork as part of their own game content.

Cheers
Andy