.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 20th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Maps?

I love big BIG maps.

Ive tried to put a DomMap generated tga into the MapEditor with some very strange results. Mostly crashes to the desktop. I havent figured out yet exactly what needs fixed to make it work. Resaving it using GIMP, editing out the row of dots in the upper left corner, one or both.

It took FOREVER to come up. Apparently because the editor wants to put a flag on every capital-dot. Not sure why it does that. The "ranomize names" works well and fast but I wish it worked with external files. In fact I wish the whole map editor was a seperate program since it forces me to clutter the game directorys with my rejects.

The "guess all neighbors" thing had REALLY strange results. I dont understand why the old dom seemed to do better guessing than the new dom. And when I tried "local neighbor" setting it looked like maybe it took out all the guessed settings.

And there doesnt seem to be any command switches so I guess there would be no way to feed it the generated targas and say "guess names, guess neighbors, quit"

Back-to-Subject: it looks like a new Version of DomMap will pretty much have to do it all. I could play on ugly old-style maps where the pixels define the terrain instead of little picture-sprites. Of course now we could run a smudge tool on them to give some appearance of the terrains.

The #neighbor and #nostart have to be done by the generator as it did, and now #terrain must be in it also.

I guess #landname would be good as an optional command switch especially if we can create a seperate file for name Groups. Hmmmmm how about using the same terrain numbers. Name4.txt for sea, name5.txt for small sea, name6.txt for large sea.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:39 PM

Brigadier General

Johan K is on a distinguished road

The thing that takes most time is that the editor guesses all neigbors when you create a new map.

If you want all names to be random you could just leave them. All empty names will be randomized when the game is created. But maybe you wanted them to stay the same from game to game

The guess neighbor function is almost useless without some manual supervision. It guesses way too badly. Hmmm.. maybe it could cope with the hexblitz map.
Old November 20th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Is there something new and complicated in that with Dom2? Dom1 did neighbor guessing and people complained but personally I had no problem with it.

Im also getting a strange problem where it seems to be doing some guessing on matching .map with .tga files. I get very strange games with the .map I chose trying to be played on a different .tga image. Im trying to track down if I did something to cause it.

[ November 20, 2003, 15:43: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 21st, 2003, 02:15 AM

Private

RadiantFleet is on a distinguished road
Default New Maps?

Has anyone made any new maps yet? I like the few maps that came with the game, but I like large maps and there really aren't many that come with the game. Has anyone tried porting the random map generator to Dom2? I was thinking about starting to dig into it, but it will be a few weeks before I have time to do the effort justice (pesky work, the things I do to support my game habit!).