.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 20th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

SurvivalistMerc is on a distinguished road
Default New empowerment strategy?

Ok...I'm a dominions newb. A total newb. So please bear with me.

Does anyone consider it to be a viable strategy to start a pretender off with a lot or "3" ranks as a rainbow mage and then empower to 4 for purposes of getting all or almost all of the bless effects for sacred troops?

Also, has anyone ever found a blood magic site? I never did despite generally having blood 2 on my rainbow mage searcher. At least not in the sense that I would have a steady income of blood slaves or a blood summoning site that required fewer slaves to do something neat.

Final question...Castles only draw resources from provinces you control, right? Not adjacent enemy provinces?
Old November 20th, 2003, 03:56 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New empowerment strategy?

Quote:
Originally posted by SurvivalistMerc:
Does anyone consider it to be a viable strategy to start a pretender off with a lot or "3" ranks as a rainbow mage and then empower to 4 for purposes of getting all or almost all of the bless effects for sacred troops?
The bless effects are determined on pretender creation, not their current statistics.
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

I just got my manual yesterday. Can you tell me how you know that? In the manual? Experience?

This would be a good thing if you got killed and lost some skills, though.
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok...I'm a dominions newb. A total newb. So please bear with me.

Also, has anyone ever found a blood magic site? I never did despite generally having blood 2 on my rainbow mage searcher. At least not in the sense that I would have a steady income of blood slaves or a blood summoning site that required fewer slaves to do something neat.

Final question...Castles only draw resources from provinces you control, right? Not adjacent enemy provinces?
Graeme Dice said.

Yes. They are very rare though...

Only your provinces.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

There are not alot of blood sites but the ones that are out there can be VERY important to find.

Castles only draw from neighboring dominions you own. I rarely play in a circle-growth mode spreading equally from a home province (lots of pros and cons there) but I always try to remember to take every neighbor attached to a castle.

I often took gods with 2 or 3 in as many magics as possible as searchers. I figured that if I found a ton of air sites, then I would have a ton of air gems, I would want to be very capable of using those gems effectively, it wouldnt hurt me any to empower him another level in air, etc etc etc. If I found lots of earth gem sites, etc etc etc.

In other words I let my random luck decide where my pretender was headed. Having him 2 or 3 levels toward that goal was good for searching and for empowering (not too expensive). At 3 or 4 in a magic you can usually make 1 or 2 items that can give you the next few levels in that magic bringing you up to 5 or 6 or even 7 in a magic that you just happened to find a ton of sites giving you gems for. Ahhh the POWER!!!
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 20th, 2003, 05:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

apoger is on a distinguished road

Looks like forts no longer pull resources from other forts. Glad to see that gone.
Old November 20th, 2003, 06:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

Thanks for the responses. I am having an interesting time against Ry'leh (?sp). And I'm thinking about building a fortress along my coastline directly adjacent to his home province. Does anyone else do that? It's good to know that it won't pull resources from his adjacent territories. I would love to be able to go down there and seige him, but I haven't even found troops that can go underwater yet as it is early in the game.

I'm adopting that same strategy with my pretender...took a sage and ulm. Really makes the research flow well. I'm actually ahead of all the ai nations in research atm if you can believe that.

Thanks for telling me that there *are* some blood sites out there. I was beginning to wonder. I usually only take 2 in blood because of how easy it is to raise if you can get some hunters.

By the way, do those items you get change your skill levels on the overland map or just in combat?

I guess the general concensus is that bless effects do not change with subsequent empowerment of the pretender or with the pretender's disempowerment by death and being called back?
Old November 20th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Quote:

By the way, do those items you get change your skill levels on the overland map or just in combat?

I guess the general concensus is that bless effects do not change with subsequent empowerment of the pretender or with the pretender's disempowerment by death and being called back?
The items that say something like "1 level nature" or whatever increase the magic path on both the strategic and tactical maps.

The devs have said elsewhere that your blessings are fixed at god creation, so no amount of empowerment or death will effect them.
Old November 20th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

licker,

Thank you for clarifying that. I guess now that is a reason not to be a pure rainbow as I have started to be.... 3 in everything but blood, 2 in blood. Which is nice...the feeling that I have "given up" something makes me feel less guilty about all those magic sites I find.

Has anyone ever found a holy or unholy site? I've had priests search but always come back having found nothing.
Old November 20th, 2003, 06:48 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Holy/Unholy sites do exist, just a bit rare.
A few sites do give blood income (Damned Merchant, for instance; there's also some non-blood magical academy site that does, too) or blood summoning bonuses, but they're far rarer than brigand lairs et al. But blood slaves are mostly captured, not received from sites. There's also a Demon Lord which gets free slaves, but not at a terribly quick rate.