.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Sergeant

Keir Maxwell is on a distinguished road
Default C\'tis and the Dancers of Death

Carrying on with the theme of bless abuse from my previously post on Niefelheim Ice Age play here is the results of my latest look at C'tis and bless effects.

"Dancers of Death"
C'tis standard theme
Prince of Death, Water 9, Death 6, Dominion 7.
Order 3, Sloth 2, Heat 1, Misfortune 2, Drain 2.
40 admin castle (next test I'll try the fortified city)

Obvioulsy the scales are weak - but then how else to pay for all that magic?

Order +3 is a must, Sloth 2 is no big problem as the only units I built were City Guard and Serpent Dancers. Misfortune 2 could easily be misfortune 3 but I was wanting to check out the Heroes. Drain 2 helps the Undead and the Dancers magic resist and with the powerful bless effects and the Prince for research the drain makes sense early but may hurt later if you don't find sages.

The test:

Aran map, 7 impossible AI's, Inde 5, 60% sites, random events rare, 454 Dominion for victory.

Sample of how it went:
t.8 - 10 provinces 468 gps
t.9 - 13 prov 551 gps
t.10 - 16 prov 733gps
t.11 - 19 prov 873 gps
t.12 - 20 prov 961 gps

This was with all non-sea indie's gone and a border with AI's. Time for war with large amounts of troops for the job. This is a very good start by my books and it did not seem to have involved much luck - though no real bad events.

The first army is lead by your initial commander turned prophet (Bless and Sermon of Courage)accompanied by a Sauromancer (Terror - later Eagle Eyes then Terror) attacking on the second turn. Army consists of 7 Dancers (on attack closest) back slightly from base position with the commanders, a unit of ~6-12 City Guard (hold and attack) a bit forward and down a way to attract arrows, and a small unit of javelin at the rear on hold and attack to stop your quickened prophet for running madly into combat - this is a real problem when using High priests in this role (the normal option) and risky with your prophet. The commanders seem to remain behind the Last unit when running around insanely on speed so deploying a unit at the back on hold and attack does the job. I found out the dangers in my first couple of tests where I got routed by losing High Priests. In case you are wondering why I avoid guard commander orders its because your army doesn't rout when it should leading to the commanders you hoped to save dying because their bodyguard hangs around after the battle is lost - at least this was the problem in Dom 1.

The next army leaves 2 turns later (more Dancers, less CG's) and another the turn after depending on priorities and initial gains. The Sauromancers are optional but do help take down the harder provinces and keep down casualities.

The Prince of Death can do a bit of research early to get a range of useful spells - Eagle Eyes, Summon Shade Beats, Raise Dead etc or and/or go out to help speed up the advance if/when needed. I used him for expansion after ~t.5 but regretted going out so early as expansion was fast enough anyway and the Prince is the only quick source of research when you don't find Sages.

Against most independent the armies work a treat as enemy simply can't hit the Dancers in hand-to-hand with their def of 20. The key is not to get the Dancers shot at and it does happen when you get too close to the CG. The Dancers will run back to help the CG's versus units that got past them and can get badly hurt by archery. The solution is to make sure independents with alot of archers are attacked by armies with enough Dancers to catch all the enemy units.

After the test I'm wondering wether to try using Swamp Guard where possible instead of City Guard. I picked the CG because you start with some, they move 2 and don't cost many resources. At times you have the resources for SG (especially with the Fortified City) and not all of your armies need to move 2.

The other question is taking the Fortified City or not? While Dancers can only be built at the capital the limit is your dominion not resources or gold and Sauromancer can be built everywhere. It is a hard choice - Fortified City for extra gold and the ability to build Swamp Guards early (much better vs archers and more useful in the long term) or quicker to build stronghold for Sauromancers - I suspect the latter is more sound as the race is strong enough early.

Hope this of some entertainment.

cheers

Keir

[ November 19, 2003, 09:29: Message edited by: Keir Maxwell ]