.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM

First Lieutenant

K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FreshMeat - 12 Max - EA Newbie - (PLAYERS JOIN

Quote:
llamabeast said:
K, you are not a newbie!
Well, I haven't played an MP game in around a year. It's almost like being a newbie!

To be serious, I've been waiting two weeks for a game to come up that didn't have weird requirements.
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM

Private

Piggles is on a distinguished road

Ooh, I want in, I'll take Arcoscephale.
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:07 AM

First Lieutenant

Renojustin is on a distinguished road

I've been wanting to give Mictlan a try... with the additional caveat that I'd really prefer playing on a medium random map and default settings, like 5 for indy strength. Is there any reason why this is the chosen map? Also, is there any reason why you have pushed indy strength to 7? That can throw a lot of things out of balance! Improved indy strength is fun for SP but it can really hurt MP, in my opinion.

And the same goes for the 55 site frequency... this places a lot of emphasis on magic, so bless nations and nations with powerful troops, or even nations without a lot of magic diversity will be thrown very much out of whack. Failing changing things to default, could we at least have your reasons for doing so? It doesn't look good in the Hall of Honor when you have to put asterisks next to your win!
Old June 21st, 2008, 04:57 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

I'd like to join as Fomoria please. Happy with most of the settings suggested, although I've never played a game with sites as high as 55, so no idea what effect that will have on the game over the longhaul.
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:40 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I've gotta say K, I think if you play in this you will thrash them all easily. After all you are well known as a competent MP player.

If you'd like a new MP game though, I can easily set one up. Any preferences? Seriously, I will always set a game up for someone if they want one. Even if you're not willing to admin, we should always be able to find someone to admin, being as it's a small job.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:50 AM

Corporal

meister_miagi is on a distinguished road

I'd like to play as Niefelheim! Settings are fine by me.
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM

BANNED USER

effeDom is on a distinguished road

im updating thread now for new players.

K, i'm leaving you out for now, until your little convo with llama is resolved ok?
if you dont end up setting up another game, i dont have any problem with you playing here, but, then again, this game wont go into any hall of fame or rankings or whatever there is and it certainly wont be fun for a veteran to play here...it'll be like playing against normal or difficult SP AI probably, at the most, hehehe....(well, i still have problem beating AI on difficult, especially with some nations).
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM

BANNED USER

effeDom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Renojustin said:
I've been wanting to give Mictlan a try... with the additional caveat that I'd really prefer playing on a medium random map and default settings, like 5 for indy strength. Is there any reason why this is the chosen map? Also, is there any reason why you have pushed indy strength to 7? That can throw a lot of things out of balance! Improved indy strength is fun for SP but it can really hurt MP, in my opinion.

And the same goes for the 55 site frequency... this places a lot of emphasis on magic, so bless nations and nations with powerful troops, or even nations without a lot of magic diversity will be thrown very much out of whack. Failing changing things to default, could we at least have your reasons for doing so? It doesn't look good in the Hall of Honor when you have to put asterisks next to your win!
hi Renojustin
a few answers...
first of all, i just personally thought it'd be a bit slower and more challenging to learn better with indy at 7. i play SP with indy at 7 or 8 usually, from what i see it just makes you chose carefully which provinces you expand to, sometimes forcing you also to not expand one turn because you have to go back a province to attack another side, having come up against an elephant wall or heavy cavalry or something. also considering the map is big for only 12 players if we fill it up (i usually play SP with all nations on cradle), i think its better with higher indy making it not so easy to just wipe out every single indy prov.
the difference is small though. maybe im even screwing myself by this because i think i will start with a sleeping or dormant pretender, while SC pretenders can probably do pretty good just wiping through even at 7.

the reason for a pre-packaged map, as well as not having any mods, is for simplicity. this is a newbie game. i dont want to even have to expect anyone to know how to install a mod or map, much less distribute one. next game i probably will. for now i just want to play an MP, i havent done one yet so am looking for similar players who just want to learn a new nation, learn MP, or, well, in general...learn something.

secondly, this game wont go into hall of fame. its a newbie game, once again.

magic sites at 55. i changed it down to 50. personally, I see a very rare difference, and i tend to play SP with over 60, usually 70. then again I guess I do tend to have pretty good gem income with lots of extra gems but then again, i dont know how to use them up either hehe
so 50 will be fine, make gems more rare, though personally i like having lots of magic flying around

renojustin: all this being said i dont konw if you fit so well in this game? let me know, but it will be boring for you if youre at the advanced stage to be querying this kind of stuff, i think. i dunno. you have to decide. this wont be a high end "discuss every turn" etc type of game, its just going to be a fun romp through an MP on a standard map. learn a new nation, learn how to play against other players, etc.
and have fun
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM

First Lieutenant

Renojustin is on a distinguished road

It sounds fun, but sort of randomly tweaking the settings more toward your SP experience has completely unforseen results, for most anyway. Which means that people who are a little more advanced will see things coming that others won't, and I really don't like to have an advantage. But I guess I can live with it, lol. Anyway it seems like you've put at least a bit o' thought into it.

Be advised that that map is ENORMOUS for twelve players, as well. Really the simpler thing would be to go for the medium random, but it's your show, your call!

And every completed MP game goes toward the Hall of Honors.

Looking forward to the game! I've only had one SP game with Mictlan, but I did like them. I'm dreading the micromanagement with a large map like this, though. Turns are going to be taking hours by the third year.
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM

Sergeant

Ubercat is on a distinguished road

Random maps tend to be a crapshoot. I've seen some awesome starting positions vs. some really crappy ones on random maps. The chosen map is probably one of the best balanced in the game. If it's too big, perhaps the game could be upped to 13-14 players.

"I'm not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I've seen what it can do to skyscrapers." -William H. Gascoyne