This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 4th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Anarchy Online

I made level 3 and was killed by a big hairy fellow who lootted my body and said some rather disparaging thing about my mother and how she dressed me.

I seem to be being killed a lot by other players. This is not a lot of fun. Walk up to someone say Hi, and the next thing you know, your standing by the nurse.
Old June 4th, 2005, 09:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

[Hijack]No pvp in City of Heroes outside the arena, nobody can loot your body inside the arena and missions are rarely more than two small paragraphs.[/Hijack]

On the downside, it is subscription. Plus you have to buy the game.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:51 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The game is free right now Narf. So sign up, download, update, and go help David and the Gang of Looters pillage and plunder their way to greater skill levels and riches.
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:56 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Atrocities, I don't understand how you manage to get killed on newbie isle. It is not possible to PvP on newbie isle. The whole isle is a 75% zone, PvE only. In the rest of the game, there are 25% zones which are political zones that can be fought over. You're given a 60 second grace period if you enter one during which you cannot be attacked by other players. This is to allow you to exit the political zone if you entered by mistake. And even so, PvP is only possible within a level range.

Do send me a tell if you see me online and I might be able to help you. I recently made a new character on newbie isle, Targaryen, a female fixer (because I'm unhappy with the agent I made: sneak, sneak, sneak, aimed shot, can't really fight in a team), so I could log her in to help you out.
Old June 5th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The animals man! There mean as hell! Here I thought I was being killed by big hairy dude, but it was the animals doing it! My little pea shooter is just too weak! HELL MY 22LR would kill those fricking things in one shot, and its ancient technology compared to the gun I have in this game! WTF!!!!!!!!
Old June 5th, 2005, 03:57 AM

Major

I understand now. Yeah the programmers made the animals say nasty and funny things like "R U nubi?", "Why did you loot me?", "Phat lewt!" etc. Nasty sense of humor Funcom has.
Old June 5th, 2005, 04:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yes, but funny. LOL. I just need to find my way and spend some time with the game. Its really hard for me to get into games like this given my love for Tribes. Not that Tribes was anything like AO. Tribes had as much of a feel to it as any on line game like AO or EverQuest, but lots more. Its hard to explain this to non Tribes fanatics. Too bad the last game was a joke. Tribes could have been so much more. In fact, Planet Siege (Sony) was made by some of the same folks who made Tribes.

I seldom if ever dream about games, but I do dream about Tribes as if I am really in that game, playing for life and death. Amoung my dreams, those are the ones I enjoy the most. No other game has given me such a thrill ride as Tribes, and I guess I am just a bit on the dense side for not wanting to learn other games.

Hell it took me months before I would even play Half Life 2. Now that I have just finished that game, and what a dismall ending it had indeed, I might move onto the reading working alternate RL games like AO.

I just need to take it seriously and give it an honest shot. With so many people saying its a load of fun, to pass it up would be a shame...

Say how do you make that dialog screen smaller? Its hard to see through it.
Old June 5th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Major

Since I managed to snag some people into this game, here's my take for powergaming newbie isle (assuming that you don't have the expansions):

1) Do the starter quests for identifying and killing the animals to get the light bar and the NCU belt. The light bar is available nowhere else in the game and if you don't get the starter NCU belt, you will have to buy something functionally equivalent for like 5k credits outside newbie isle.

2) Once done, go to the recuiters' area and join omni. Then go back to the beach and kill nothing but Island Reets (those parrot things). Ignore the monster parts and reet beaks they drop. Keep the "Take Me to the Shop" and gems / jewellery they drop. Selling the "Take Me to the Shop" is the main way of making money on newbie isle. Selling them to the main vendor or the Clan vendor gets you 160 credits. Selling them to the Omni vendor gets you 200 credits. Continue to kill reets and sell the stuff until you hit level 5 from killing reets. You should have about 20k cash.

3) Go to Antonio and buy a full set of Newcomer armor, selecting the lowest QL of each piece available for sale. Go to the Omni vendor and buy as many side badges as you have armor pieces for. Use the badges on the armor pieces to turn them into sided armor. The armor is a levelling item, meaning that when you gain a level, you can use it and it will upgrade itself up to a maximum of level 15. This is the best armor at low levels bar none. I checked and found that even Carbonum, the best generally available armor below level 100, only starts being better than QL 15 newcomer armor at level 20.

3) Buy the omnitek sunglasses and the omnitek technical library. You should be able to sell them on the mainland to other players for about 500k each.

4) Do the Unicorn commanders' quest twice to get two omni shoulderpads. You won't find better shoulderpads for a long time.

5) Depending on your profession, upgrade your starter weapons by getting the correct parts to upgrade them. Talk to the vendor Antonio to find out what you need to hunt to get the parts you need.

6) Kill cargo droids to collect the parts needed to make a range meter. Again, you won't find a better replacement for this until much much later in the game.

7) Remember to buy your starter pack of profession specific nanos from the terminal next to Antonio. Otherwise you will have to buy them individually on the mainland at inflated prices.

8) If you are an engineer, remember to buy an extra solar pistol before you leave. Otherwise you will have to hunt for parts to remake it to make your engineer specific pistol.

Once on the mainland, sell the sunglasses and technical library for good starting capital, and you're well on your way to making a powerful character.
Old June 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Major

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Say how do you make that dialog screen smaller? Its hard to see through it.
Chat windows start in borderless mode by default. If you change its mode, you can move them around and resize them at will. Personally, I have the main chat window, a combat messages window, and a tells window.
Old June 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
deccan said:
Since I managed to snag some people into this game, here's my take for powergaming newbie isle (assuming that you don't have the expansions):
Wow, nice list of tips. Thanks.
Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)