.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old December 16th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New MP Game - Artifact Game - open!!

Quote:
Wish_For_Blood_Slaves said:
knights are horrors as order is to magic.

what I mean is, in provinces with order, knights attack more often (i believe) like how horrors attack in a magic dominion. Since I almost always choose termoil/luck combo, I have never once been attacked by a knight for my chalice.
I have never been attacked by the knights. And I had the chalice quite often for a long time. So either the chance is incredibly low, or there is some bug which prevents them from appearing.
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

While I agree with Truper about Shahrivar and water nations, I dislike the World map immensely. If not Shahrivar (which would be fine if we just don't have water nations) then Cradle of Dominion or Loemander would be better than maps with 340+ provinces.

Old World (the Warhammer based map) or Multiverse might be interesting as well.

Also - Arch has a good point about the two major magic bonus sites, they probably ought to be editted out or replaced for the game. (Great fun for SP games, or when randomly found, but kinda unbalancing in a MP game where people know where they are, and where people's capitals are going to be at fixed locations.)
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

ive been attacked but (dont know if its always) i think it was just 1 knight (who was easily dispersed by my prophetised sword of justice weilding cardinal)
Old December 16th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Huntsman said:
Quote:
Ironhawk said:
You got it.

I have to admit that I'm surprised no one has picked up Marignon or Mictlan. Both have good sets of artifacts. Caelum does too, really, since with Tempest it can fight full-bore from turn 1 almost.
I've never played any of them so maybe I'll switch since I've played Pangaea plenty. Marignon looks fun. But how does the Knight attack from the Chalice work? Is it like an assassination attempt or a regular assault on a province? ANd how tough are the knights?
If you aren't taking Pangaea I might take them.
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

also - lifelong protection

if possible this should be given to machaka as a scheduled event and not on a unit - since the item is cursed and cannot be removed from the unit. Or if it is given to a unit, the player should get to decide what kind of unit (though I imagine they'd want it on an assassin)
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Lieutenant General

True, but they don't normally start with an assassin, and some thought should be given before giving solidly useful units to one nation or another, unless everyone gets a couple of these bonus commanders (two scouts, while more useful to some nations than others, are hardly unbalancing).
Old December 16th, 2005, 04:16 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

All nations will be able to assign cursed artifacts to whomever they please - they will not be forced to keep them on the commander they are assigned to at game start. Which makes this an opportune time to talk about the mechanics of how the Artifacts will be given to each nation...

When you begin your game in The Artifact Game, you will have two additional commanders in your capital province. These commanders are called Artifact Wardens and are specially design to hold cursed (in addition to regular) artifacts. This is because they have the ability to shapechange into a unit with no slots. When you do this, even cursed items will "fall off" into your lab in that province. So, when you begin your game, the first thing you should do is shapechange both of your Wardens so that all your artifacts drop into your labs. You can then assign the items to whomever you please. I have researched and tested this and it works fine.

As for the units themselves, they were also designed to be pretty lame. Thier stats are unremarkable, they have no leadership, and they have no stealth or any other special abilities (save NNE, since I didnt want them to be a burden in any way). They cannot be recruited or summoned anywhere and have 0 gold cost which I believe gives them no upkeep.

Side Note About C'tis: The presence of the Jade Mask forces one of c'tis' initial artifact wardens to be a lizard since no non-lizard units can wear the Mask. If it is acceptable to everyone, I will just make him a regular Commander of C'tis and then immediately drop his artifacts and suicide him on some indies on turn 1.
Old December 16th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Private

Tnahcem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cainehill said:
While I agree with Truper about Shahrivar and water nations, I dislike the World map immensely. If not Shahrivar (which would be fine if we just don't have water nations) then Cradle of Dominion or Loemander would be better than maps with 340+ provinces.

Old World (the Warhammer based map) or Multiverse might be interesting as well.

Excuse me for this agressive advertisement, but you can find here a 360 provinces wrap-around map (Neopangea).

A smaller version (266 provinces, including 50 underwater) is incoming and should be online in 3 days max.

Old December 16th, 2005, 06:41 PM

Sergeant

Huntsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
If you aren't taking Pangaea I might take them.
All yours. I'll give the holy rollin' Marignites a try.
Old December 16th, 2005, 07:23 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Tnahcem said:
Excuse me for this agressive advertisement, but you can find here a 360 provinces wrap-around map (Neopangea).

A smaller version (266 provinces, including 50 underwater) is incoming and should be online in 3 days max.

Really like the look of Neopangea, I certainly wouldn't mind using the smaller version - 360 province games tend to drag on after the fun factor has faded.