This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 17th, 2005, 11:10 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Games worth buying

As the title implies, I'm looking for some suggestions on good PC games to buy. Games that will actually hold my attention for more than a few hours. I know, it's a tough one. If you make a suggestion, please state what genre the game would fall under, since there's some genre's that I really don't like. Below are the games I already have:

- SEIII
- SEIV
- Dom2
- X2: The Threat
- X3: Reunion
- Doom 3
- Far Cry
- Maybe some others that I can't think of at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since on the weekends when I'm not working I can get pretty bored around here.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:31 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Games worth buying

Wierd Worlds
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:32 PM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road

Rise of Nations: Thrones & Patriots
Civ IV

Quake IV
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:35 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

How about a game well worth paying for that's free for download? The Ur-Quan Masters, a port of the old Star Control 2 for modern PC's. It's a single player RPG with a really good storyline, plenty of puzzles, tons of things for the player to do in addition to the essentials required to win, and multiple ways to do a lot of things. Also, unlike most CRPG's I know of where you can take however long you want to do anything with no consequences, when the aliens you talk to say time is running out, they mean it.
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

Guild Wars
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Tribes 2
Tribes
SEIV
SEV
Starfury
Dominions II
Farcry
Deus Ex Invisible War
Gal Civ 2
SimCity4 Rush hour
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM

Captain

ZeroAdunn is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm.....

Deus Ex is definately a wonderfull game, not truly a first person shooter, but not wholy an RPG, a little of both. Throw in a fabulous story line and Freakin sweet technology and it makes for a great game. My personal opinion on Invisible War (the sequel to Deus Ex) is that it traded good gameplay and solid story telling for gimmicks.

I know many people try and steer clear of MMO's but I have recently been playing City of Heroes. It is a slick game designed around simple gameplay and easy going group dynamics. Instanced missions designed to run about 30 minutes a piece, a wide variety of character types/costume options, as well as smooth well thought out gameplay make fo a truly addicting experience. Designed for both the hardcore and Casual MMO player it is the only MMO to hold my interest. About 15$ a month.

If you haven't played fallout I would recomend it simply for the bizzareness of the world and the quirky humor.

Conquest: Frontier wars is like a stripped down version of SEIV in real time. No politics, standard RTS research trees, but multimap intersteller warfare make it unique in the genre.

Killzone. They called it the Halo Killer, but it really isn't, it is a game in its own right. The unique features to the game is an AI who works smart. It uses cover, and in return you would be wise to use it. Things like covering fire, diversion tactics and four unique (tacticswise) character choices make for a funly unique, and very challanging game. The story attached to the game is also well worth the time spent.

Fable. The game itself is over hyped, in reality the story is short, and only mildly challenging. But it shines in the diversity of sidequest. Anything from buying houses and renting them out, to finding the love (or loves) of your life and getting married. (of course, this is the middle ages, so come divorce time you may just have to kill the wife) The good/evil system is fun to play around with, as you steadily become a paragon of virtue or a bleak cloud of evil the nature of the game seems to change around you. The wide variety of options including the aging system make the replay value high, and the gameplay nearly infinite. (assuming you don't decide to beat the game right away)

That is all for now.
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:11 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Personally, my favourite game to date was The Longest Journey. Not sure how well a non-violent adventure game would fit in with Renegade's preference for action/strategy, but it's a bloody brilliant game. The sequel, Dreamfall is due out at some point. Website says Fall 2005, but that's come and gone...

Otherwise, my time's currently divided between the SE5 beta & World of Warcraft, with occasional bouts of AOE3 and Civ4 thrown in for good measure. Anyone know of a game similar to Star Control 2? Downloaded The Ur-Quon Masters and beat it in a couple hours. I played that game to death when it first came out, and can almost play it blindfolded.
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:32 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Weird Worlds is *somewhat* similar to Star Control 2...
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

And when Puke gets Carrier Battles mod ported over to Wierd worlds, it will rock.