Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 13th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Darkstar One

Darkstar One

Looks pretty, don't know how good it'll be. It's being made by the same folks who made Sacred, and though I'm not a big fan of hack & slash RPGs, I quite enjoyed that one.

Plus I absolutely adore games of this genre (providing they get the openendedness right. I'm looking at you Freelancer), and so a little extra publicity can never hurt, especially if it leads to more games of this ilk...
Old May 13th, 2006, 03:26 AM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Darkstar One

Looks like it might be interesting. I like the "changable" nature of the main player ship.

Old May 13th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Captain

Aye, although I don't see much mention of being able to eventually assemble your own fleet. That's one of the things that attracted me to the X series, but they were just a bit too big for my liking. I can deal with the big ships being hard to get, but getting your first fighter fully tricked out should only take you a couple combat missions or a few cargo runs, then you get to start saving for the next ship up the ladder...
Old May 14th, 2006, 12:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I remember the half life mod Darkstar.... does this have anything to do with that?
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Sergeant

StarShadow is on a distinguished road

I played Sacred, if they had of put as much work into the gameplay as they did into the graphics, it probably would have been a keeper. Freelancer was great, and could have been MUCH better, it really shows that it was rushed out for the christmas rush. I still play it, and mod it. Keeping in mind who is making DarkStar, I don't have high hopes for it, but I'm looking forward to trying it out, if they release a demo.
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Corporal

Xaren Hypr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AgentZero said:
Aye, although I don't see much mention of being able to eventually assemble your own fleet. That's one of the things that attracted me to the X series, but they were just a bit too big for my liking. I can deal with the big ships being hard to get, but getting your first fighter fully tricked out should only take you a couple combat missions or a few cargo runs, then you get to start saving for the next ship up the ladder...
From what I read, your original ship is the only one you get. However, it seems that through hull/wing/engine upgrades and locating artifacts this one ship would have the potential of becoming incredibly powerful. It all depends on the player's style and whatnot. Looks interesting to me though..

My Neo SEIV Code: A Se++ GdY $++ Fr C++++ Css+ Sf Ai++ Au M+ MpTFd/VFd S+ Ss++ ROS Pw- Fq Nd Rp G++ Mm++ Bb+

Old May 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road

Flew around a bit in the German demo.

Wish I could remember the bit of German I picked in the Army, maybe I could figure out wth to do

"feels" alot like Freelancer as far as ship movment and control.
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:45 AM

Captain

There's supposedly an English demo due out sometime this, or next week. I toyed with the idea of downloading the German demo, figuring after 4 years of living with a German-speaking girl, I'd be able to muddle through. Then I realized I'd only understand it if the language was REALLY filthy.

So, hopefully we'll know a bit more in the coming days.
And no, I don't think it has anything to do with the HL mod, although I suppose they could have nicked the name from it. Or the 1974 movie, or a manufacturer of wood skate decks, or the official Mike Oldfield magazine, or an orchestra, or the Tier III Minus UAV, or the rock band, or the brewing company or... hey, let's face it, not the most original name ever.

On a slightly related note, has anyone out there played X3 yet? And if so, is it any good? And by good I mean less bloody complicated than it's predecessor.
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:05 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

I've played X3, got it when it came out in November I think? To be honest, the gameplay is essentially the same, though probably a bit better than X2. What really got massively improved is the combat and the graphics. Graphics are absolutely stunning, and the combat is the most realistic I've seen, incorporating inertia being the most notable addition.

However, as we all know, graphics do not make a game. And since the core gameplay is pretty much the same...I'd say if you thought X2 was complicated, you'd think X3 was just as complicated.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:20 AM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I toyed with the idea of downloading the German demo, figuring after 4 years of living with a German-speaking girl, I'd be able to muddle through. Then I realized I'd only understand it if the language was REALLY filthy.

ROTFLMAO !!!!!

That's the sign of either a really HOT relationship, or a really BAD one !!!