.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:34 AM

Corporal

Snipey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ossetian War Scenario - Info + Help Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipey View Post
So in this scenario, it would be roughly 2,200 Georgians vs. 1,600 Russo-Ossetian forces, most likely less as not all supply units went into combat. (200x160 map.) That's 3,800 men over 80 kilometers, or about 50 per kilometer, do you think that's too crowded? I might remove the air units and the supply units if that gets too crowded, and assign units triple supply or something like that.
200x180 will easily be enough.

(Supply is usually not a problem given the usual number of turns in any games - except maybe for some types of artillery/mortar systems.)

One question though - this scenario will it be played on a north-south axis?

In some cases it is better to "tilt" the map, making because the game mechanics work somewhat better if the game is played "east-west", i.e. your left and right hand sides on the monitor...
Well here is the JKPF Map, (although I don't like Wikipedia, this is just a copy-paste of the JKPF map). In the Ossetian War, there were many useful organization, ICRC, JKPF are but two of them, so their data is good and actually honest. Here's the JKPF map:

That road to the North of Zemo Roka is the Roki Tunnel. The shaded area is the territorry held by Georgian civvies, but on the eve of the war the civvies were evacuated, and the shaded territorry was controlled by Georgian militia. The Russian had to (and did) punch through the shaded area, on their way to Tskhinvali. Some also took the road from Dzari. In our scenario, that's where the Russian are coming from. The main thrust of the the Georgian attack came from Gori. That should give you an idea how the attacks developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipey View Post
So in this scenario, it would be roughly 2,200 Georgians vs. 1,600 Russo-Ossetian forces, most likely less as not all supply units went into combat. (200x160 map.) That's 3,800 men over 80 kilometers, or about 50 per kilometer, do you think that's too crowded? I might remove the air units and the supply units if that gets too crowded, and assign units triple supply or something like that.
200x180 will easily be enough.

(Supply is usually not a problem given the usual number of turns in any games - except maybe for some types of artillery/mortar systems.)

One question though - this scenario will it be played on a north-south axis?

In some cases it is better to "tilt" the map, making because the game mechanics work somewhat better if the game is played "east-west", i.e. your left and right hand sides on the monitor...
There is no North or any other compass direction on the map.

ALL SP games are to be played Right to Left, one player deployed on each side. You can put in a compass rose notation in text to point where you think "North" should be, but it is academic. (There is no sun blinding etc).

Off-map artillery comes from the right or the left side, and the ultimate retreat direction is either to the right or the left.

Please - no more of this nonsense about the top of the screen being the "North". It is simply "Top".

Think of an SP map as being a tabletop wargame board where instead of sitting opposite each other, the two players both sit on the same side (the bottom) and play left to right.

And that saves having to have a complete set of all the graphics redrawn in a 180 degree reorientation - a big point when the game was designed in the mid 90s, and disk space was expensive. If doing it these days, then the bottom of the map would be your side, same as a 1/300 tabletop game. Your opponent would have the bottom of the screen as "his" side too, but with the terrain reversed 180 degrees.

But "North" would still be a completely arbitrary notion.

The board is Top, Right(Player baseline), Bottom, and Left (Other player baseline).

Andy
Well if the game is played right to left, I guess the map should be tilted 90 degrees. Also, the location I gave as coordinates was the border crossing on the very northern part of Tskhinvali. I was also thinking like Wulfir, that top is north, and that you could fight from top to bottom. So I assumed, mistakenly, that I would get10 kilometers, (5 apiece), not 8, (4 apiece) when I did the map. I guess to correct this, the location I gave is no longer the center of the map, but exactly one mile North of the center, or in this case left of the center, as the Georgians were the primary attackers, but it should still be as much a meeting engagement as possible.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Please - no more of this nonsense about the top of the screen being the "North". It is simply "Top".
"Top" can be "north", but it doesn't have to be.

"North" is pointless on a generated map, yes - but it makes my life easier knowing where north is when building a game-map based on a real location.
Initially I thought Top was North, but now left is North - I tried to clarify the changes above, hopefully I didn't confuse anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
47 to 74 button of magic
HAHA. Well it's magical for me the edito-noob.

Quote:
If you can locate any AK74 armed section in any other OOB that might seem suitable - say Russian or Ukranian OOB maybe - you can buy these as captured. A bit quicker than manually editing the small arms of a full Bn.
Will captured units be displayed with the Green Flag, and function as normal units? What's the diff between captured and non captured units in an actual battle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Would have thought Red would have something, its cosmetic anyway most rifles are the same AKs perform in game terms exactly the same so just changing the name. RPGs LMGs MMGs etc though stats do vary so right one is more important.
Using clone not that hard only have to do one of each unit type.
That's true, Red has it all. But I was hoping to use Red for Ossetia, and possibly any Russian units that I might end up modifying. Additionally, there were volunteers helping out South Ossetia - otherwise they wouldn't be able to field a 4,000 men army for 80,000 people. Additionally, the Georgian Army was modernized and rebuilt according to the NATO standard, whereas Red is, (with the exception of certain groups like Al Qaeda) is based on the Warsaw Pact standard.

Quick note on civilians, and why they're not included: despite both, the Russian and Western mass media crying about "massive civilian casualties" - these casualties were not much. No genocide, ethnic cleansing, or mass aggression took place. Saakashvili committed war crimes, but not mass atrocities. The super-pooper-mega casualty total is - 365 for Ossetia, 228 for Georgia, and some idiot trying to stop an Iskander with a camcorder. The Iskander won. And those casualties, for both sides, are heavily inflated, as both sides recorded militia into civilian casualties, and Saakashvili went one step further, recording the military dead into civilian casualties. Why not, when they're dead, they're civilians. The lowest count is 168 for Ossetia and 69 for Georgia. The real number is somewhere in between. To give you something to compare to, in post-Iraq Saddam, about 500 people die every day as a result of anarchy outside the Green Zone.

Civilians didn't do much to oppose Georgians or Russians. They ran, so it would be pointless to include civilians in our simulation, as they weren't killed en masse, and they didn't resist. Hmm, I can run, or I can shoot the tank shooting at me, hard call, I think I'll run.

(I'll post the weapon comparison chart I made tomorrow, if I hopefully find it.)

Last edited by Snipey; April 27th, 2010 at 03:44 AM..