Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 5th, 2013, 10:10 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default About new cover option

When I use the c key to cover the display unit warns that the move was made or that could not be performed.
What I do not see is some indication that the unit is covered. It appears somewhere on the screen?
It would be good to appear not to repeat using the c key.
It is a concern.
But this new action is excellent.
Thanks to developers by all changes that renew this game each day.
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:50 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: About new cover option

Just like in real life, the only way you will know if your attempt to take cover actually worked is if the enemy stop firing at you.

Andy
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:42 AM

Corporal

Mario_Fr is on a distinguished road

I absolutely agree with Roman, it`s a great option.
But it`s true, you can take cover five times or so and lose MP every time, so an indication that you already pressed the button would help.

Mario
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:57 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

You can only take cover 3 times a turn. So move & use or if receive fire take the option of returning fire or taking cover.
As Andy says if you decided to take cover you will only know if you managed it next turn. If you were being targeted & they switch targets next turn you probably managed to break contact.
Much like when units take cover automatically your chance of success depends heavily on range suppression state & experience of units with an eyeball on you.
Short range attempting to take cover is not going to work.
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:21 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

Understand the mechanism. My concern is directed that if there may be a message that the unit is covered to avoid using the c key twice by mistake.
When there are many units and I want to review the movements, I forgot about that unit used the c key.
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Private

Pfor is on a distinguished road

Personally, I don't think "Take cover!" should constitute an 'order', unless as Roman suggests there is some tangible visible result.

I would rather see it taken more as a given, and can think of two situations where it may be applied:

1. At the end of a players move, any units with sufficient MP left (ie 2MP) would automatically take cover with whatever benefits that entails against the upcoming opponents move;

2. Currently, a unit can advance along a road one bound of say 6 hexes or 6 bounds of 1 hex and end up at the same point at the same speed. However, the second option may spot an ambush before it happens and may even get the drop on the ambushers. In other words, the second option has 'benefits', and these benefits should carry a cost. What if 1MP was deducted from remaining MPs after every bound ('move click'), to represent 'taking a knee', looksees etc? This would be something slightly less than 'take cover' and therefore would not require any visible indication but might still be enough to break visibility.

Does anyone think this combo might be enough to replace the voluntary take cover order, completely or in part?
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:52 AM

What it is now, is what it will be.

"Take Cover" is a section order and a standard battle drill. (Upon receipt of the words of command “Take Cover!”: 'Dash', 'Down', 'Crawl', 'Observe', 'Sights', 'Return Fire'.)file:///I:/DOCUME~1/admin/LOCALS~1/T...emy%20Fire.pdf

There wont be a "you successfully took cover from 23 enemy units" message. You only know if your action was successful by the enemy response to it, as in real life.

You are completely free to press the "C" key as you wish as long as you have the required free MP, as each successive take cover action may well work, whereas previous attempts did not.

Andy
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:22 AM

Corporal

void1984 is on a distinguished road

Andy, you've linked to a file on your local disc.
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:54 AM

OK - it opened in Firefox and I copied the URL out of the location box.

http://www.acompanyacf.co.uk/trainin...-battle-drills

The reaction to effective fire one is the main point, though the page covers other section battle drills.

Andy
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:17 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Maybe I am missing something here, how often do people use this new feature? In my case not often.
Most use would be units I turn the range down on, so typically scouts if I think the area is dodgy, also on the rare occasion in battle.

It is useful for ranged fire if there are no closer units, Tank or MG say firing at 1000m you might well drop out of sight.

In most cases in an infantry fire fight its not that useful, there are odd times its beneficial but that's it. In most cases I want to use that 2mp to fire as I have target lock.
Watch what happens when the AI goes to ground or seeks cover, at close range it normally vanishes then reappears because someone sees it.
So that's 2mp to POSSIBLY break target lock why not just fire another unit & do so for sure or if the units in big trouble pop smoke.
Multiple units have target lock on a unit sure you can try but that means lots of eyeballs on you. In that case I do the standard thing of stop shooting with them & let them use op fire next go to take the heat off them.

Am I missing something because I have no trouble keeping track of the few times I take attempt to take cover.

Taking up positions for say an ambush I suppose you could C key every unit but if they are stationary for a turn I assume the game does this automatically. As I don't know if it worked why try again?