The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 18th, 2008, 03:36 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Warning! Do NOT apply XP SP 3!

Man that was funny! You should get a comedy gig!
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

I do! Keeping you guys entertained here!!!
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road

Xrati - You did it again....ROFLMAO !!!

Old May 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

a friend of mine installed SP3 and something horrible happened,.. she now gets a bios atpi error and system crashes on boot. crashes on boot, crashes on boot.. unable to use F8 on bootup to get into bios to reset to defaults.. something horrible happened. I'm guessing rare, but have any of you heard of the bios getting fubar'd after installing SP3? why would it even access the Bios?

anyways any insight would be aprieciated, I have no sys specs, but I suspct she'll have to take it to a techno geek to do a hard reset of the bios. (usually involves shorting out jumpers on the bios.)

the fact that it was working fine before the 'update' means it is no doubt something SP3 did.. is MS responsible.. no,.. is the MoBo manufacturer responsible.. no.. ultimately the user is responsible because we all 'agree' when installing software that these companies are not to be held responsible for any damage caused by their software..

welcome to the wonderfull world of 'irresponsible' corporate software developers who are not 'liable' for the damage caused by anything they do. they could make an install program that formates your HD blindly and there is nothing you could do,.. after all we all 'Accept their end user agreement which states they are not responsible' every time we install a piece of software.. the good news.. in very rare cases you can get your $30 purchase money back,.. in the case of 'updates'.. you are out of luck.

but I digress, my comp works fine, I have sp2 installed.. just did a home housecall virus scan and it found no suspicious or malware' files on my comp.. last time I did a scan was in September of 2007. then I had 2 suspicious files, but they were not viruses. I deleted them.

Cheers!

Oh people, please Turn OFF auto updates. 99.9% of the updates are not gonna affect your comp if not installed.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

Looking at the "security expert's blog" capnq posted, that sounds suspiciously similar to the second problem addressed in the blog post. The suggested fix is very simple:
Quote:
The solution is simplicity itself: insert a USB flash drive, or some other form of secondary storage mechanism, before booting the computer. The people have that have seen this problem report that it goes away when they do. The catch is that the computer will only boot with a secondary drive attached. If you remove the secondary drive it will no longer boot.

It also appears that this could be related to using a USB mouse. If you have a USB mouse, try moving it to the PS/2 port instead (the little round port, you should have received an adapter with your mouse). That seems to resolve the problem without the use of an external USB flash drive.
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

David, for a complete bios reset, just go to the motherboard and take the battery out for ~1 to 2 hrs., OR leave it out overnight. When you reboot, all the bios setting will be at default and you should be able to access it through your 'F8' key or 'delete' key on bootup.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

A lot of feed back from people running business say that they had absolutely no problem updating to SP3 over hundreds and thousands of machines. So I guess its safe now. Any one willing to risk it now, odds are in your favor.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:49 AM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

I have 2 hp computers that haven't been upgraded past SP2 - except for security patches - but neither one will boot with a USB device attached.

In these cases, the bios is set to boot from a USB device even if I tell it not to.

the blog that was posted cited HP's being more likely to have the Boot-Crash-Loop.

makes me wonder...
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

OT: but not really:

Installing the latest update for IE7 kills the ability to use the Google Toolbar. It has happened on my office computer and now here at home.

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old June 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

Well, so far i've managed to upgrade all but 3 of my computers.

One is an HP machine with an AMD processor and the other two contain sensitive work and personal files I don't want to risk yet. That reminds me, I need to get another backup harddrive.

Swoosh! Off to tiger direct!