The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: D&D 4e or: Wanna slaughter some minions?

The old edition had an SRD (I forget what that means) which was roughly the rules stripped down to basics, and no flashy pictures. 3/3.5 was open gaming, which meant any company was allowed to use it but adventures could only have the basic monsters.

4 might have its own SRD but I've read it's now only really aimed at other companies and only really now tells them what they can use. I don't know if it has basic rules for people.

Well I hunted down the SRD (seems it means system reference document) for 4th. As I thought it appears to be nothing more than a list of terms and names so developers spell stuff right

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/welcome

For what it's worth, this link might at least provide some information

http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e

In other news, remember a few days back I said I didn't know where my dice were and I'd get a few more. Well they wanted $2 each. Gee, I told them before I paid $2 each I might just bother to look for my old ones first. It's ok they're friends of mine. Anyway it took me all of 2 minutes to find them.
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Corporal

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road

Thank you! That link looks like it should be enough to get me started... And the rest of you can just keep a close eye on me to correct me whenever I do anything stupid or illegal.

I still have some reading to do in order to determine precise stats but based on this, I think that I could do all right as a Dwarf Cleric, or as an Eldarin Wizard. Whatever the party needs more: if Astorax is the cleric, I will happily play an evil wizard. I think I'd get a kick out of some of the role-playing possibilities I could do.
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Private

Astorax is on a distinguished road

Nocturnal, I've sent you a private message. I'm not exactly sure where it will show up as I don't see a "message box" or whatever like other forums. Maybe its sent to your email? Not sure.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Randallw said:
The old edition had an SRD (I forget what that means) which was roughly the rules stripped down to basics, and no flashy pictures. 3/3.5 was open gaming, which meant any company was allowed to use it but adventures could only have the basic monsters.

4 might have its own SRD but I've read it's now only really aimed at other companies and only really now tells them what they can use. I don't know if it has basic rules for people.

Well I hunted down the SRD (seems it means system reference document) for 4th. As I thought it appears to be nothing more than a list of terms and names so developers spell stuff right

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/welcome

For what it's worth, this link might at least provide some information

http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e

In other news, remember a few days back I said I didn't know where my dice were and I'd get a few more. Well they wanted $2 each. Gee, I told them before I paid $2 each I might just bother to look for my old ones first. It's ok they're friends of mine. Anyway it took me all of 2 minutes to find them.
Holy collectors' items, Batman! I have a whole bag of D&D dice from the 1980s in all shapes and sizes. If new ones are $2 each I wonder what my 'vintage' dice are worth?
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Private

btw Nocturnal, I have rolled up a halfling rogue, eladrin wizard, human cleric and am currently working out a warlock, too. I would prefer to play as my rogue or wizard but, if nobody else rolls a cleric for the party, I will play mine.

Choices in order:

1. Eladrin Wizard
2. Halfling Rogue
3. Human Cleric
4. there is no 4 at the moment but it will be a Warlock.
5. I don't play fighters
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Private

Hey, theres a question, DM, can we use more than one character in this adventure? Like, could I play as both my Wizard and Rogue or Cleric and Wizard/Rogue, more like?

edit- btw, Narf, JFries on #D&D channel in IRC wants to play in our game.
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

Well, if everyone who has expressed interest plays that's five people - me, Randallw, Nocturnal, you, and JFries. That's already a full size party.
Quote:
Astorax said:
Nocturnal, I've sent you a private message. I'm not exactly sure where it will show up as I don't see a "message box" or whatever like other forums. Maybe its sent to your email? Not sure.
A flashing letter icon shows up next to the "Welcome <user_name>. [Logout]" line on the top left, IIRC. Clicking on it takes you to your message box where you can view the new message. You can also access your message box through the My Home link on the top right. It's the leftmost link on the second row in that big set of links.
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Corporal

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road

New question then: how's this going to work logistically? I'm downloading (or the OpenRPG setup is downloading) wxPython2.8 which is a pretty big file for my pretty slow connection. Please don't make me install IRC again too.

Since it is in real-time, when are we going to meet? I work Sunday to Thursday inclusive from about 0600-1800 GMT so I won't be available at those times, and I use much of the remainder of the weekdays for eating and sleeping. On weekends (Friday and Saturday) I am pretty much free at any time. I like to get sleep in blocks of 10-14 hours during the weekend to restore HP and spells, but I don't need to take them at particular hours.

So ideally I would like to play on Friday or Saturday, during the afternoon or evenings as compared to GMT.

We should sort this out to see who among us can actually play, and then submit the characters.
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

I would prefer Saturday. My time zone is Eastern US (GMT -5, I think), and any time that doesn't require me to get up too early is fine.

From my understanding of the rules and one actual play session so far, party balance among character roles is fairly important. Ideally we should have one defender, leader, striker, and controller. Any characters beyond the first four it doesn't matter quite so much.
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM

Private

I've gotten another person interested in that IRC channel, Narf. sacarasc is his nick. People are starting to take interest, heck they even put me and 4e game in the topic.