.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 18th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Private

nanzhao is on a distinguished road
Default Another Mac OS X patching question

(Mac OS X 10.2.8, 2x867 G4)

So...I download the 2.15 patch (I just bought the CD), and it doesn't update, giving me the "some files are missing or locked" error. No problem, I think, I'll just check out what it says on the board, and quickly find the Posts about setting the dom2 app permissions to writeable.

Try again. Same error.

So, I reinstall, clearing out everything that was in my previous dominions2 directory, and try again. Same result.

Since then I've tried both getting the earlier patches to see if I could get them to work and burrowing through the .app package to see if setting internal files to writeable would help. Nothing's come through.

So, what exactly should I do here to keep from being chained to 2.02 for eternity?

Seeking wisdom from the southern kingdom.
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Private

slimemold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another Mac OS X patching question

Just to be clear, you are setting the *application bundle* to writeable, and pointing the patch to same? There are 2 icons both labeled "dominions2", one is the application, and one is the folder for game settings, etc.

I successfully patched from 2.02 to 2.14, and from there to 2.15. I'm not sure if that might help. (As stated elsewhere, you can get older patches from the illwinter site by changing, for example, both instances of "215" to "214" in the download URL.)

Now if only I could figure out how to apply the Oceania mod...
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Corporal

Skolem is on a distinguished road

I patch with pbm to, but after a few try if you make sure the application (that is the one in macitosh HD/Application, if you put it in the cannonical place) is set to read & write it should function.

@slimemold under the patches links is a link to download the oceania mod
then you install it in ~/dominions2/mods (if the mods folder don't exist create one) then you launch the game go in pref mod then activate oceania, go to pretender creation atlantisshould be now oceania.
By the way does someone know how to change the dominions2 directory to an other place? (maybe J.K. or K.O.)
Algebraic geometry seems to have acquired the reputation of being esoteric, exclusive, and very abstract, with adherents who are secretly plotting to take over all the rest of mathematics. In one respect this Last point is accurate. --David Mumford
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Private

nanzhao is on a distinguished road

Ahhh, finally success.

Another reiinstall, and before patching I turned off most of the various programs I have running in the background, esp. the Finder enhancements and such like Launchbar. Then dom2.app I moved to the canonical systemwide Applications folder, and did the 2.14 patch first, followed by the 2.15 Now things have come through.