.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 7th, 2004, 10:44 PM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Congrats in order to Illwinter & Shrapnel:

Congrats! Just shows that dedication and respect for the audience can match any kind of huge budget.

WTG, Illwinter and Shrapnel!!!
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:42 AM

Corporal

moodgiesanta is on a distinguished road

I can't argue against them putting those two games ahead of Dominion, considering how good they were and how they appeal to many more people. But it is very nice to see this game get its due props.
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:24 AM

Sergeant

ywl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
So who wants to bet on which game will get Banned first when John Kerry or some other Democrat gets elected president of the United States...

-Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (carjacking, brutal murder)
-Counterstrike (half the players are fekking TERRORISTS)
-Dominions 2 (sacrifice of virgins; holy war)

Let's guess which game will be endorsed if Bush got elected. Heck! Let's guess which game they're playing right now .

[ February 09, 2004, 05:25: Message edited by: ywl ]
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:30 AM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by ywl:
Let's guess which game will be endorsed if Bush got elected. Heck! Let's guess which game they're playing right now
Probably Command & Conquer. It's most obviously not something like Sim City, which requires an understanding of economics and social responsibility. And most certainly not Civilization, which entails at least a modicum of diplomacy, nevermind significant amounts of anticorruption and environmental cleanup.
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Let's guess which game will be endorsed if Bush got elected. Heck! Let's guess which game they're playing right now .

I hope he's just playing "Conquest: Middle East" rather than "Conquest: Earth". But you never know... fortunately, it doesn't look like he'll make it past "Stage 2: Iraqi Sands".

Edit: On the other hand, let's all hope it's not "Total Annihilation".

[ February 09, 2004, 07:14: Message edited by: Saber Cherry ]
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
quote:

I hope he's just playing "Conquest: Middle East" rather than "Conquest: Earth". But you never know... fortunately, it doesn't look like he'll make it past "Stage 2: Iraqi Sands".

Edit: On the other hand, let's all hope it's not "Total Annihilation".

Nope, he's still trying to figure how to win Pong ...
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PDF:
Nope, he's still trying to figure how to win Pong ...
On further thought, I doubt it. He's much more likely to have never even seen it, having been weaned on Monopoly, and later, Risk.
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

When I said people today were interested in stealing cars and shooting people, I never meant to imply my interests were more ethical. I just meant to show how young people today set such low expectations for themselves.
Anybody with a gun can shoot people and steal cars, but genocidal holy war and human sacrifice are only practiced by the foremost madmen. I have high hopes for myself in the future, as I plan to become leader of a xenophobic nation devoted to world conquest. No minor street crimes for me.
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:38 PM

Sergeant

ywl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by LordArioch:
When I said people today were interested in stealing cars and shooting people, I never meant to imply my interests were more ethical. I just meant to show how young people today set such low expectations for themselves.
Anybody with a gun can shoot people and steal cars, but genocidal holy war and human sacrifice are only practiced by the foremost madmen. I have high hopes for myself in the future, as I plan to become leader of a xenophobic nation devoted to world conquest. No minor street crimes for me.
I hate to see my Bush question has elicited so many off-topic answers. But well, I was not the one who started it.

Now back to LordArioch. Just for argument sake - but you can still say that GTA is a simulation of violence while the abstractization of war and violence in Dominions is so remote that it's more like solving a puzzle (comparable chess). You can also argue that the gameplay GTA (though I've *never* played it myself) cater to satisfying violent emotions while Dominions is more a cerebral game. It's perfectly understandable even if you felt uneasy that people like GTA.

Of course, you can also argue that Dominions' way of trivialize war casualties nothing more than statistics is way worse...

But let's don't get too serious or we won't be able to play or even do anything.
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:09 PM

Private

vanedor is on a distinguished road

[quote]Originally posted by Arryn:
Quote:
One just has to consider that even if Dom was as fancy as Knights or Call or any of the other popular games, and bug-free, and had a huge (expensive) manual, and anything else that people may feel is lacking, then Dom would still not be popular simply because it's in a niche genre.
I disagree. I think a game like Dom 2 has enough potential to become very popular. Games like SimCity, Civilization, Age of Wonders... are all fairly complicated and popular. It's not as if this game was a hex based hardcore wargame.

Dom 2 got potential, a lot. I only wish the crew behind it could invest more time on it and hire a few more people to handle wa they can't do themselves. For this to become reality, Dom2 needs to get good sales(which, with all the publicities it received, it would not surprise me at all). More importantly, it requires that the developpers wish it to.

"Edit: On the other hand, let's all hope it's not "Total Annihilation". "

Indeed.And let's all hope, for world security sake, that the americans don't pick him(I would say 'again' but during the Last election, more american voted for Al Gore).