Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 31st, 2011, 03:49 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The "Z" direct fire key - are they even trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Real units don't spray ammo over areas unless they have at least some indication that there would be someone there.
Apparently you never operated with the US Army!

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM

Private

arkhangelsk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Out of LOS Z fire is also deliberately randomised to reduce the "Godlike Player" effect. It's blind fire.

The "player god" has a far better feel for the overall battlefield than the elements would have if they were real men. Real units don't spray ammo over areas unless they have at least some indication that there would be someone there.

Area fire at a hex in LOS is far more effective and accurate. If you in your role as the player god "knows" there should be a squad at X,Y and "telepathically command" your men to have the inspiration to beat up the nearby area - then if X,Y is out of LOS but a nearby hex is within LOS - target that one. There will be overs and sides, but the fire will generally remain on the LOS hex, and some will spill onto the target that you the "god" knows is actually there whereas the blind firing will wander all over - and is fully intended to. No matter the range.

Cheers
Andy
I understand the theory, but sometimes there IS some indication.

For example, I am advancing with my tank+desant infantry and bump into infantry squad at about 2 hex range. The guy shoots at me but doesn't get me, and now I got him plotted on my map. I'm already moving quite fast so even if I use aimed fire at the unit my chances of hitting him are poor. Further, the idea of his return fire spraying up my tank desant infantry does not appeal to me. So I pop smoke and unload them in safety. That cut off my LOS.

First problem, I still have some shots and if this is for real, I think it is at least a valid tactic for my tank to pop some quick rounds in the quite well plotted position of the enemy to keep their heads down. But I can't do that because of the traitorous scatter.

So I just bring in my other tanks and desant and end my turn.

OK, next turn. I now have to advance on this one squad. My smoke grenades are still shutting off my LOS, but he hasn't moved. In real life, what I want to do is spray some Z-fire in his general direction to distract him while working a squad to his flank.

But I can't do that either. If I try that, the Z fire is more likely fire into the neighboring hex (60 degrees off, with one of my squads in it) than the target hex!

So not wanting to wait for the artillery, I tried to move the flanking squad at the lowest possible speed and the enemy clips off 2 of my men and inflicts about 23 points of suppression, putting it into Retreating status. It would likely not have happened if I were allowed to fire some distracting fire.

I respectfully submit there must be a better way to handle this. Z fire isn't that effective anyway, so I don't think it'll be some game-breaker if it is handled more similarly to aimed fire.

How about at least relegating this mega-Z scatter into a Preference?
Old January 15th, 2012, 06:56 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
I respectfully submit there must be a better way to handle this. Z fire isn't that effective anyway...
Depends, Z fire can actually be very effective. Especially newbie PBEM players used to combat AI led forces will be in for a world of hurt against experienced players who master the art of Z fire.
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:27 PM

Corporal

duff is on a distinguished road

It seems most people use "Z" on enemies not yet spotted. Am I the only one who often uses out of sight infantry/MG on the advance AFTER spotting the enemy but before firing with units that can see? It helps the front unit get close and do the damage without getting shot up by return fire.
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

No, I actually do it all the time.
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
It seems most people use "Z" on enemies not yet spotted. Am I the only one who often uses out of sight infantry/MG on the advance AFTER spotting the enemy but before firing with units that can see? It helps the front unit get close and do the damage without getting shot up by return fire.
Yes, it is effective to use Infantry/MG fire but also cannon, tank and mortar fire with LOS as well too. What i never do is use the "Z" key on areas where there hasn't been any hidden fire shot from yet, if you do otherwise you could probably reveal your location and intentions too soon to the enemy besides wasting ammo and begging for a rain of artillery on your men.
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:21 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Since in anything but a set-piece scenario I play my revised USMC OOB I use my Scout-Snipers to do what they're there for ... scout.
Since sniper class units they're VERY effective at it, as they should be.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein