.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 21st, 2005, 02:48 PM

Corporal

Fabfire is on a distinguished road
Default It Begins! - A New Scenario by Wild Bill Wilder

Hi, everybody!

It is my pleasure to inform you that there is a new scenario by Wild Bill Wilder available for download - "It Begins!" It deals with a hypothetical confrontation between the BOAR and the Russian forces in West Germany in the 80's.

The scenario can be downloaded at the Armorsite's WinSPMBT page. Or directly, following this link: http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/WinS...gins-SPMBT.zip

More info about it below:

IT BEGINS!

Meeting Engagement
UK vs. USSR
West German Frontier
August 6, 1986
Turns:15
Scenario Size: Large
Estimated Playing Time: 3 hours+

Design: Wild Bill Wilder
bwilder@bellsouth.net
Testers: Stephen Porter, Lars Remmen, Tom DeShetler
Last Updated: August 21, 2005

Design Notes: This is a hypothetical of a meeting engagement between armored forces of Britain and the USSR. It occurs in West Germany. The human player should take the UK side in a one player scenario.

Your Orders:

Colonel, C Squadron is patrol the high ground near Wolfsburg. We are in a state of High Alert. Negotiations between the Soviet Union and NATO appear to have stalled and large movements of tanks and troops toward the West Germany border indicate the initiation of possible hostilities.

If fired upon, you are to return fire. Keep us posted of your situation.

Historical background:

It was a sunny morning in West Germany. Colonel Richard Palmer accompanied C Squadron of the 1st Royal Tank regiment of the British Army of the Rhine (BOAR) in it's patrol of the area west of Wolfsburg.

Things were not going well. Rumblings of war in Europe filled the news. Palmer's unit was at the forefront of the defensive lines being established in case Russia and her satellites decided to take that ominous step to war.

Sitting in the turret of his Challenger tank, sipping on a morning cup of coffee (Yes, British soldiers do drink something besides tea), he watched as his scout units deployed toward Hill 1141, the dominant terrain feature in his sector of defense.

Something did not feel right about this situation. That instinct of a battlefield commander kicked in and he leaned forward and through his radio ordered his tanks forward to cover the reconnaissance force.

He began thinking about his third platoon of tanks, which was ordered to remain in bivouac for maintenance. Then there was the young Lieutenant Campbell, with the older and less powerful Centurion tanks. His was the only detachment in the squadron awaiting the arrival of the newer Challenger. Having Campbell leading the tank force into battle was not what he wanted, "but," he reflected, "circumstances sometimes overcome our wishes."

He was just crossing the railroad embankment when his radio became alive! The early morning sun in a clear blue sky was blinding. "Blimey! Can't see a bloody thing", murmured the Colonel.

Captain Raleigh, commander of the recon force was frantically calling for help. Soviet armor of the 106th Guards Tank Division were coming out of Wolfsburg at full speed, heading straight for him.

The rumors of war quickly became reality! The fight was on and now Palmer was right in the middle of it!

Enjoy!

Fab
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: It Begins! - A New Scenario by Wild Bill Wilde

So what happened to Bill that he cannot post notice of his own scenarios??

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:42 PM

Corporal

Quote:
DRG said:
So what happened to Bill that he cannot post notice of his own scenarios??

Don
Nothing as far as I know. He is alive and well, thank the Lord for that. It's an old tradition that goes back to 2000, I guess, from the beginnings of SPWAW. WB always gave the honor to post to the owner of the supporting web site he choose to give the scenario to.

Since we are back together thanks to WinSPMBT, he asked me to post, keeping that tradition. Don't bother. It's just two old friends remembering the past. As long as the gamers get the scenarios, no harm is done...

Fab
Old August 21st, 2005, 07:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK, just wondered.

However, you can mention to him that "Blimey!" hasn't been heard in the UK since the movies in the '40's

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

WBWilder is on a distinguished road

Well, blimey, Don! What do you expect from a lover of the 40s movies. How about bloody! I think they still use that (G).

Yes, Fabio and I are long time friends and he has worked so hard on his personal site that I wanted him to post this one and announce it. Yes, the testers and I did the scenario, but Fabio has been kind enough to post it on his site. And that for me is a real honor, always.

Everyone should pay his site a visit, with or without this battle. It is well done, well organized, very informative and extremely complimentary of SP-Camo and the game.

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Scenario Designer
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

WBWilder is on a distinguished road

Nah, I gotta go to the UK source. What about it, MOBHACK? DO you still use Blimey? (LOL)

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Scenario Designer
Old August 21st, 2005, 11:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

He was the first person I asked. Thats where the 40's movie comment came from

Don

Old August 21st, 2005, 11:57 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WBWilder said:
Everyone should pay his site a visit, with or without this battle. It is well done, well organized, very informative and extremely complimentary of SP-Camo and the game.
Been there done that WB! Also added the link to his site to our new SP Microsite at ACG/SZO. Good to see Fabio back in the game.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:01 AM

Corporal

Gooseman2448 is on a distinguished road

Hey WB,

Did you use Alpha's updated OOB?

BTW, your senarios have been great, keeping me up late, this is another I will have to put in and try before I can go to sleep.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:17 AM

Corporal

WB,

As always, thank you for your kind words. Yes, as you said, we gamers are like old soldiers, and we will be around while we don't fade away...

WinSPMBT most certainly brought new life to the SP series. Not to mention old gamers, like us...

It feels good to be back.

Fab