.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 18th, 2004, 01:00 AM

Sergeant

ywl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tartarian factory

Quote:
Originally posted by Taqwus:
Regarding Tartarus, Wikipedia is your friend.
(Ooh, Hecatonchires with 50 helmet slots and 100 arm slots? Hm.)
A junkyard for ex-gods - all the defeated Dominions pretenders go there. That's why there is an endless supply of Tartarian Titans!
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:21 AM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Torvak:
I wouldn't say it's abusive or even an exploit. It probably balances Arco a bit.
I think is Arco needs balancing, it's the other way around.

Quote:
Right now i'm desperatly trying to survive fighting Jotun, Caelum and Abyssia at once. Even with casting a Tartarian every round it's hard enough.
Nothing is easy when you have to fight on so many fronts.

Quote:
In the game you describe with your high death and nature gem income you were incredibly lucky.
I searched for death and nature sites very aggressively, and I don't think +13 and +19 out of ~30 provinces is so incredibly lucky even with the default setting. I got +5 nature from Pangaea's capital BTW, +1 from mine, so actually it's only +13 from random sites. So that's less than .5 death and .5 nature per province from non-capital provinces.
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:13 AM

Corporal

geo981010 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
At least in Dom I, if memory serves the way the 'site frequency' deal worked was that there was an X probability of having _one_ site there, and as long as the check said 'yes' another roll with the same probability took place to possibly add another one, up to a maximum of four.
If so, a 50% chance would mean:
8/16 have 0
4/16 have 1
2/16 have 2
1/16 have 3
1/16 have 4

My way would be:
1/16 have 0
4/16 have 1
6/16 have 2
4/16 have 3
1/16 have 4

Quick test in Dom 2-
Searched 16 provinces with 9 magic mages, and found:
1 with 0
4 with 1
7 with 2
2 with 3
2 with 4

I did some larger tests way back when and that's when I came up with my theory on how it's done - seems to hold true now. The swamp/mountain/etc increasing % to find a site further makes this really tough to discern without some feedback from the authorities on this...
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by ywl:
quote:
Originally posted by PDF:
Isn't the whole Tartarian Gate abusing thing just tied to the - not normal IMHO- possibility for Priestesses to heal afflictions on ... Undead beings ?
It would make sense to make healing only possible for *living* things, no undead or construct (maybe it already doesn't work on constructs), no ?
Agree. That'll be a fix of the game system which help this issue.

Two possibilities here: (1) Lifeless units only. The power of golem and other constructs will be decreased; (2) Lifeless *and* undead units. Some powerful undeads will also be affected, noticebly Prince of Dead, Wraithlords. But either way, since only Arco have easy access to healing, the effects on other nations will be limited. Prince of Dead will be less attractive as a pretender choice but it's already powerful enougth - no big deal there.

But still, it bugs me to see so many dead gods walking around for summoning . Let's make them unique .

BTW, what is the mythological source of the word Tartarian?

I'd vote for Lifeless+Undead "immune" to Healing. It makes more sense than a priestly fixing of a Mech Man broken part ..
This would include Undead pretenders - they are rather powerful already, Arco is powerful too, both don't need this extra "healing abuse".
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Corporal

Zurai is on a distinguished road

Re: Mythological source of Tartarian Gate

Tartarus is the deepest section of Hell in classic Greek mythology. It's where most of the worst offenders (primarily the ones that REALLY angered Zeus) were imprisoned. This is where the Titans were imprisoned by Zeus after he overthrew Cronus. Cyclopses were also imprisoned here by Uranus, so it's not surprising those are the two most common results from Tartarian Gate.

Tartarus was surrounded by a huge bronze wall and was forever in the darkest of night with no light at all. The sole gate into Tartarus is guarded by the Hecatoncheires, huge beings with 50 heads and 100 arms. There were three: Briarius (also known as Aegaeon), Cottus, and Gyges (Gyes).

NOTE: I knew that Tartarian Gate referenced Greek myth, but Google is where I got 90% of that information A quick search can do wonders.
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
At least in Dom I, if memory serves the way the 'site frequency' deal worked was that there was an X probability of having _one_ site there, and as long as the check said 'yes' another roll with the same probability took place to possibly add another one, up to a maximum of four.
no, its not that. The dom I manual was never fixed on this part, but the devs clearly stated that this way of generating sites was abandonned in one of the first patch of dom I (IIRC). Each site roll is independant, 100% sure
Old February 18th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Corporal

Since this are supposed to be defeated gods you are summoning, wouldn't it be fun to have undead Versions of defeated Gods in the current game be possible summons? Nothing like finally destroying a race, and then have their Niefel giant pretender come back at you the next turn!

As for removing healing from priestesses for constructs/undead, I could see that making sense and should abide by the same rules as who can qualify for regeneration. A new unit that repairs constructs would be nice, and some other way for undead to remove afflictions - how about a Death ritual spell that gives an undead's affliction to another commander?

In a related note, I never thought Gift of Health or the Chalice should work on undead either.
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:36 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Perhaps GoH and Priestesses should be able to heal constructs in a Golem Cult, however. Ah, complexity.
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Perhaps GoH and Priestesses should be able to heal constructs in a Golem Cult, however. Ah, complexity.
Yeah, something should be done with this. I haven't felt that the Golem Cult is really worth it as is- why not just give them recuperation and restore HP in a friendly dominion?

Side note, I kind of wish that there was a way to seperate the different types of themes: race defining themes like Niefel/Miasma/etc and the special effect ones like Golem Cult/Restless Worshippers/etc. This way you can take an alternate race setup like Utgard and one of the specials like Golem Cult together. Heck, if you want to spend the points, you could even allow taking multiple special effect bonuses!
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:38 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by geo981010:
Side note, I kind of wish that there was a way to seperate the different types of themes: race defining themes like Niefel/Miasma/etc and the special effect ones like Golem Cult/Restless Worshippers/etc.
That's something I'd like to see too. Maybe not stacking specials (just imagine what Caelum could do with a strong dominion, Heart of Winter, and stealthy Seraphines boosted with Ceremonial Faith - and shudder). But a theme + a special should be allowed.