.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:55 PM

Corporal

TheDeadlyShoe is on a distinguished road
Default Tablet PC?

Hello there,

I tried the weird worlds demo, but it did not seem to properly register the touchscreen input on my Toshiba R10 Tablet. Rather, it seemed out of proportion- pointing the stylus outside a small area in the center of the screen resulted in Weird Worlds moving its pointer to the border of the screen.

Is this behavior fixed in the full version?

It was fun using a mouse, but it doesn't seem worth it if it wouldn't work with the stylus.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:53 PM

Corporal

Brainiac4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tablet PC?

I did some beta testing on a tablet (HP TC1100) and found it hard to use just the stylus to play. I will try the demo and full version on the tablet again to see if I can reproduce the issue. This may not help, as it sounds like your problem may be with the digitizer, which may be specific to your tablet.
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Are the desktop and the game set to different resolutions when this problem occurs?

PvK
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:07 AM

Corporal

TheDeadlyShoe is on a distinguished road

No, the game is at 1024x768 and so is the monitor. In any case, the 'box' is ludicrously small - lower than any conceivable resolution for the tablet.
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Hmm, ok. So much for that idea, then. It does sound like it's specific to your type of Tablet PC, then.

If you feel like checking, I'd be curious to know: Do you have the free MS Powertoy game "Tablet Pool" installed? Does it work on your Tablet?

PvK
Old January 19th, 2006, 04:01 AM

Private

Furluge is on a distinguished road

Just to help out with this issue, I have the same problem using an Acer Travelmate C310. I have Tablet Pool installed as well and it works perfectly.. I've even gotten the tablet to work with Moo2, which was made before such things existed so I'm surprised Wierd Worlds has this problem.

It does seem like the "box" is too small when playing the game. The stylus works fine in Windowed mode, though I noticed that if I set the windowed mode to be the same as my desktop resolution the cursor is quite a ways from the stylus though still controllable.

My model tablet uses a Wacom digitizer which is very widespread in tablet PCs, so if it's not working for mine it's most likely not going to work for a large segment of tablets.
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:05 AM

Since Weird Worlds uses OpenGL, maybe it uses it for pointer input and it may be an OpenGL issue with some tablets?

If the devs are interested in trying to solve this in a patch, I may have some info that might help.

PvK
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Corporal

geo981010 is on a distinguished road

I have a Toshiba Sattelite with XP tablet all patched up, and sadly have the same problem Kind of a killer for playing it on the tablet, since playing it windowed I have to go down to 800x600 and then the Cargo+Ship inventory takes up too much of the screen.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:50 PM

Sergeant

Fingers is on a distinguished road

The stylus of a tablet PC should essentially BE a mouse as far as the game is concerned. There's no tablet specific interface code or anything like that... WW gets its mouse XY coordinates from SDL which gets them from the OS, and that's that. It appears that it gets broken somewhere, most likely in SDL if other (non-SDL) programs work fine.

After some searching I found this little tidbit:
http://www.nabble.com/Re:-SDL-and-ta...-p2681303.html

It seems that it hasn't been fixed in a stable, public release of SDL so far (the latest release is from last fall, before the post above). Hopefully it will be soon, as WW would certainly play just fine with a stylus.

Btw, when playing in a windowed mode you can type in any values for the width and height in the launcher. So if your screen is 1024x768, anything less than that (so it's still usable) will be fine.. Try 960x704 for 32-pixel margins.