.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 28th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Routing bug

Quote:
Cainehill said:
Otherwise right now you have to put two clams or two fever fetishes on a unit for a turn and look to see if you got two gems or one as a result, to tell if it's 2.14 or not.
You're quite good when it comes to workarounds, aint you?
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:11 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Chazar said:
@alexti:

I do not understand why you cite me? I think that I am well aware of how things work (at least I agree with your post)...
No particular reason... I was just replying to your and to Wyxard's post, then I've discovered that your questions largely overlap. So I've eliminated duplicates from my replies. After that I've trimmed my replies to about equal size to distribute server load. So, you see every step was logical and that was just misfortune-3 that the result didn't make sense

Quote:
Chazar said:
I think it should not be too difficult to do that the .trn carries its Version number along which is checked by the client! It would help players who are unaware that the host was updated like in this case. I also think some simple Version control is a necessity

It probably has Version number, but considering that the file format has not been changed, Dom2 proceed. I don't mind it, but it'd be useful to have a warning telling that the turn was hosted by the server running Version such and such.
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:43 PM

Corporal

DeathDaemon is on a distinguished road

OK different scenario, another bug...

Playing ctis, have 8 sauromancers, 3 inf leaders, each sauromancer with 5 or so bodyguards, and an army of infantry (30 or so). Attempt to storm a wizards tower. The tower shoots and kills a sauromancer. Marignon's mages all cast fire shield. A few xbows fire but completely miss. Everything runs... my mages didnt do a thing... comon 1 mage killed, no other injuries, but they all run?

EDIT: this is a SP game so no host/client issues possible
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:32 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

most likely you had your army of infantry on "guard commander" accidentally - all the commanders will rout if one dies if all you have are commanders or commanders and guards.
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:18 PM

Corporal

DeathDaemon is on a distinguished road

This might be a possibility if I only have mages spamming skeletons. My troops are given an order to guard commander. Commander has orders to cast, not retreat. Why must I have at least 1 guy on attack/fire?
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:29 PM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DeathDaemon said:
This might be a possibility if I only have mages spamming skeletons. My troops are given an order to guard commander. Commander has orders to cast, not retreat. Why must I have at least 1 guy on attack/fire?
Troops on guard commander are considered as commanders themselves, hence they all rout when one dies. Just another one of Dom2's quirks.
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:48 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
deccan said:
Troops on guard commander are considered as commanders themselves, hence they all rout when one dies. Just another one of Dom2's quirks.
This is done so that bodyguards don't cause your commanders to stay on the battlefield after everyone else has run away.
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:03 PM

Private

Wyxard is on a distinguished road

ok...

I upgraded and watched the battle with the new Version.
the battle did come out as the message said, with the altered ending, BUT, that is because the orders were changed, (which I know because with the old Version, my orders were mostly carried out)and the die roles went very askew .
the updated Version film had all my mass protected trolls, (30) just standing around, not even attacking, getting hit over and over with stellar castcades, and my iron dragons didn't even move for almost the entire battle, just sat there and did nothing, and my spell casting was comletely screwed up. (again, in the first Version, they all moved as ordered, so something deleted their orders)
now I understand that the AI sometimes changes things, but in my Version most went as planned, in this Version a whole lot of leaders/men just sat around getting slaughtered, and very few of my scripted spells were cast.
still, with 40 or so crossbow with flaming arrow, wind guide, relief, and arrow fend, I should have done a lot more damage than the "updated" Version showed.

so... I believe the Dom 2 web site should say using different Versions may "incorrectly" change the results of a battle due to Data Alteration, resulting in a different film , not just that the film may be different. the new film definitely had something wrong with it - hence the completely unbelievable/unlikely/incorrect result

Wyxard
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:23 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

You should probably sumbit it to Illwinter as a bug. It's not what is supposed to happen accordingly to 2.14 patch notes.

Or you can post your turn file, so somebody can take a look at it.
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Private

Wyxard is on a distinguished road

after upgrading to 2.14 I watched the new film that correlates with the server results. The battle runs completely differently than my film using 2.12
Most of my commands are changed, unlike in the 2.12 Version where they are mostly carried out (with the normal variations of the AI), in the 2.14 Version, large Groups of men/trolls just stand around getting slaughtered by spells, not engaging, my iron dragons just sit and do nothing until attacked at the end, my spell casters don't do a whole lot,and when they do cast spells, the are mostly ineffective, essentially it looks like something is wrong, not just a different plausible variation running with different die roles. I can email the turn to anyone that wants to view it under both Versions, as there is a huge difference.
my email is Wyxarddom2@yahoo.com
I will also try and email the turn to Ilwinter
Thanks for everyone input
Wyxard