Notices

Old July 17th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Super dooper Snipers !

Quote:
PDF said:
Second if you have to bash "ridiculous" designers that design top-bottom games say them so *before* including the scenario in the game : the scenario I played is #65 on Iwo Jima ... !
To the designer credit he made a big detailed map of the whole island and setup the various battles that occured there, he couldn't easily "rotate" his map !

Is that so hard to code an North/South alternative retreat path ? ( /duck and cover ! )
MOST of the Iwo battles work just fine with the standard east - west retreat. There are always exceptions.

Switchable or selectable retreat paths have been on my "wants" list for quite awhile but by the time we do all the other things we need to do for release it always ends up an orphan on the "B" list. One of the foundations of the code is the units retreat toward "their" map edge and other additions to the game always eat up the time we would need to sort that out and ensure everything works

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

Snipers are annoying but managable. After detecting... fire on it with one unit, take fire, fire with a second unit, take fire... keep alternating until it has no OPFIRE left then lay into it. If that isn't immediately possible pop smoke grenades, hit it with artillery and wait until it is possible. Dead Sniper.
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Corporal

Uncle_Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But with SP:WW2, firefights are a lot deadlier (the amount of enemy casualties have been multiplied by 5 to 10 in every of my games in comparison to every of my SP:MBT games)
I just havent seen this to be the case. I routinely switch back and forth between the games and it seems fairly consistant for me. Perhaps as of this last patch (1.1b) for WW2, I'm seeing a little more casualties overall, but certainly nothing NEAR the magnitude of 5-10x more.
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Corporal

Alby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PDF said: The funniest was when 1 sniper shot made 4 casualties in a squad, I envisioned some film where the 4 guys were killed by the same bullet !
Probably because the HE kill stat is high for that particular sniper unit.
Lt. Col. William Barrett Travis- The Alamo-1836

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:15 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

nope - looking at the game, the original OOB designer has made a mistake with this unit, unfortunately.

crew is 2.

Slot 1 has sniper rifle, which is class 1 (Infantry prime weapon), so is multiplied as 2 rifles for 2 crew (correct).

The error is that the designer has also added a second sniper rifle in slot 2, so at shorter ranges 3 sniper rifles will be credited. (class 1 weapons get mutiple chances, reduced by range, times no. of crew to represent the entire section firing its personal weapons).

The unit should have the same weapon slots stats as Unit 52, but with 2 men to allow a little more resilience (and which will give 2 weapon opportunities at shorter ranges as well from the slot 1 weapon class 1 times men multiplier, and it will allow for casualties if one man has since been "slotted").

Yep - basically a triple-shot sniper from 2 men (one of thes guys is brandishing 2 rifles!)

And in any case, the code is based on 1-man snipers. A sniper "team" should really be represented by 2 sniper elements as a formation. So I dont like this unit - it should have been done with a formation, and not by "bending" the game unit design conventions.

A future OOB will have a "sniper team" formation of 2 snipers. This unit will need to be fixed and/or any scenarios usng it will need fixing.

[edit]
assuming the Op was talking about unit No. 67 "snipers", that was.

But that unit is flawed, and now found
[edit]

Cheers
Andy
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Sergeant

junk2drive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alby said:
Quote:
PDF said: The funniest was when 1 sniper shot made 4 casualties in a squad, I envisioned some film where the 4 guys were killed by the same bullet !
Probably because the HE kill stat is high for that particular sniper unit.
IIRC SP turns represent 3-5 minutes of real time. I can imagine multiple shots being fired. Multiply that for "teams".
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

(Re DRG) Haha, I knew it wasn't normal ! Till now I've had some kind of nose with minor OOB/stats flaws

Don, from what I've understood
- the easy way to fix this is to just remove weapon #2 in this unit (yes it was Japanese unit 67)
- else modify the scenario replacing them with 1-man snipers, in fact one per one : cost-wise the 2-men team is only 2 points more than the 1-man one, 59 vs 57, maybe there's a catch here too !
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Corporal

markgame is on a distinguished road

A bit off-topic, but I just finished reading the book "Sniper" by Adrian Gilbert. Very interesting history of sniping with a fairly comprehensive review of hardware and tactics used.

One interesting anecdote was the use by the US of 37mm anti-tank guns firing canister to combat Japanese snipers in trees. Would be an interesting tactic to try!
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:14 PM

Private

Irinami is on a distinguished road

Sorry Andy, but that's not consistent. There are plenty of units with a rifle in slot 1, and then the same weapon in slot 2, 3, or 4. One of those guys is brandishing 2 rifles too! No, it's an additional opportunity to fire in certain instances. This could be, for example, one soldier having more ammunition and directed to fire more often. It could represent the aggregate firepower of a slightly more generous firing policy, or a slightly more elite unit (their fire is more effective). A "third" sniper rifle could be explained in a plethora of ways, just like 3 casualties from 1 sniper firing 1 shot (I've seen it in my China '37 campaign) is explained by a "shot" being a "fire opportunity," not a bullet.

If you have problems with snipers, try Z-fire/area fire. Little to no opfire allowed, and the suppression seems to be higher... though it could just be the lack of opfire. I never have a problem with a sniper who can't fire.