This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old July 12th, 2007, 12:09 AM

Major

Urendi Maleldil is on a distinguished road
Default SE4 weapon index

Does anyone here use an index to rate the effectiveness of weapons in SE4?

For example:

Weapon Index = Damage / Reload / Tonnage * Range

Probably not the most effective since it doesn't take into account to-hit bonuses, weapon cost, damage decay, supply usage, or durability.

-Km :�
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:41 AM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE4 weapon index

The most common I've seen is damage/(turn * kt).

In unmodded SE4, there are only a few weapons that have bonuses so that isn't normally used.

Throwing range in there would kinda work too but there is lots of variability in how damage changes with range so this somewhat muddies the waters.

There is no real "best" weapon. Favorites are:

Phased Poloron Beams - skips normal shields, relatively cheap to research, relatively good range.

Anti Proton Beam - longer range advantage reaches out and touches enemy earlier, usually.

Depleted Uranium Cannon - can't beat them for early firepower.

Shield Depleter - add to later designs, add them before other weapons so they fire first. Extends the life and effectiveness of other weapons.

Ionic Dispersers - leave your enemy immobile. No longer skips shields, but one of these on a ship will usually imobilize an enemy once shields are down.

A favorite research path for non-racials is to go with DUC in early game, PPB in mid game and SD/PPB or SD/APB in late game. At worst, you'd be average with this plan.

There are some good racial weapons and combos too:

Talisman with anything.

Crystal: Shield Depleters then Shard Cannon - removes shields quickly then skips armor. Deadly to organic enemies.

You get the idea; mix and match to get the best you can out of your racial weapons.

--------------------------------

However if you get fixated on any combo, your opponents can design ships that specifically attack your weaknesses and are resistant to your strengths. Best bet is to stay flexible and adapt to your enemies. Taking Religious is a sure way to get ganged up on by everyone before you can research the talisman, which many consider greatly unbalancing.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:12 AM

Captain

Kana is on a distinguished road

I'm sure Fyron, AT, or SJ have some program or something that lets you plug in numbers, and spits out more numbers or something for you to compare weapons and such. Useful if you are going to balance stuff for you uber-mod.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

There are not necessarily "best" weapons in stock, but there are a ton of useless ones.

If its a never-ending barrage of stats you desire, check out SJ's Weapon Stats app. It needs data files to work with, but you can quickly throw together a skeleton set: just write out the max level version of each weapon and tweak them til satisfied.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Major

I was hoping someone would have a formula that could boil down weapon stats to a single number. I'm trying to make all the weapons in SE4 Advanced useful, so I need to be able to compare them all on the same level.

The formula I mentioned before seems to be working, but it's not perfect. (And since I'm no math whiz, I'm not even sure its accurate.)

Old July 12th, 2007, 11:44 AM

Major

I don't know how to express this mathematically, but maybe a Weapon Index (WI) number of 1 could equal a weapon with these characteristics:

10kT space
10kT structure
10 Normal damage at range 1
1 max range
.1 decay
10% to-hit bonus
1 reload rate
10 supply usage
10 each cost min, rad, and org

Using this hypothetical weapon as a base and some mathematical formula to boil it down to one number, you could then use it to rate the effectiveness of all other direct fire weapons.

Old July 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

damage / size / rate

is the main formula for comparisons. You can't really factor range into it mathematically, because the effects of different ranges are very complex. They vary based on ship speeds, your to hit bonuses, the enemy's defense bonuses, etc. The same applies to factors like raw to hit bonus of the weapon. A weapon with a 10% bonus to hit isn't really 10% more powerful; in cases where you have higher hit rates, 10% bonus is very small. In cases where you have low hit rates, 10% can make a difference. Supply usage is a nice balancing factor (have heavy supply usage, strong weapons for system defense, and lighter weapons for long range tactics), but it doesn't factor into damage ratios mathematically. Same with cost; its a factor in economics, certainly, but weapons usually aren't the vast majority of the cost of ships. You can't really factor such things into one single formula.

This is why SJ's weapon stats program uses a bunch of different formulas to generate a wide array of stats; different formulas are useful for comparing relative strengths different situations. There is no single formula to rule them all. Balancing weapons is a complex affair that requires much play testing. Math can get you a good baseline, but it won't do everything for you.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Corporal

Glyn is on a distinguished road

I have an excel work sheet that has all the weapons, components, ship type data. It come in handy. I downloaded it from somewhere, but I can's seem to find where. It's name is SE4G.XLS

Unless you have a great to-hit advantage, for me it comes down to cost per point of damage. shield depleter and ripper beams.

( damage at range:0 / rof ) / total cost.

Also, Design your ships to be built in 3, 6, or 9 turns by your shipyards. That way you get the maximum build efficacy when you use emergency build.
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:54 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

That would be my spreadsheet. Glad to see someone found it useful. Distribute freely.
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Glyn;
As it has been mentioned, weapon cost is not a very big part of the total ship cost.
Engines and all of the one-off components like ECM/Sensors/bridge are a huge chunk of change, particularily on small ships in stock.

And also, if your weapons are cheap but large and weak, you'll need to sacrifice shields/armor/engines in order to get the same firepower.
Or build more ships, and pay a hefty fine in the build cost of your bridge/lifesupport/crewquarters/engines/sensors/etc
Be careful not to misplace the dollars while you pinch your pennies!