This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old August 6th, 2006, 03:29 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road
Default German AI not buying halftracks ?

I'm playing WWII campain Russians against German AI. Now at November 1941.
While quite challenging (I'm losing some battles) I've found out that German AI is an easier to play against than Finns(which is ok) and Polish(which is not ok).
The problem is that German AI not buyng mech infantry on halftracks, and buying a lot of PzII and Pz38(t) instead, wich can't carry infantry.
As result hordes of tanks, half of which is PzII and Pz38(t) go with negligible infantry support (some PzIII carry infantry, but seems not all) and become an easy prey of ATGs. BTW no motorcycler recon too.
I hadn't seen any PzIV either. Is this buyng only for the beginning of the War and I see infantry on halftracks later ? I'm aware that historically this armor (PzII and Pz38(t), no/few halftracks and PzIV) composition is correct, but infantry/armor composition is not correct neither historically, no gamewise. Historically German tank division had about four infantry battalion for each tank battalion.
I think German AI should but more infantry on normal unarmored trucks and at least some motocyclers.
I'll try to play with AI tank heavy turned off for now and see if it better.
Old August 6th, 2006, 05:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German AI not buying halftracks ?

AI buys all of the above, it does not however buy a completely predictable (SP2,3) type of buy.

You can see the AI pick, as is usual, by setting up a game as your opponent with the desired points level (based on your core+support points level say) etc, at the requisite date in GameOptions and in the in-game preferences. (To make the following easier - you will then only need to remember to select computer buy for each test game run).

Now, as usual for testing the AI pick (and as described in Mobhack help AI pick list section IIRC), set up a game with the computer set to buy the player 1 forces, so you get an AI buy, then examine what it bought in the deployment.

Now - after examining this purchase - exit game.

Now - repeat the computer test buy process at least 20-30 times to get an idea of the OPFOR variations for a particular nation/battle type/point value/date combination.

You will see PIV, kraftrad, and panzergrenadiers (esp if points are high) - both truck and halftrack versions. Nebelwerfers sometimes, and sometimes not, sometimes it will buy ATG (even in an advance) to screen the rear area - which can be rather nasty if the GE AI buys a few 88s in good visibility, and places these in a commanding position. As I learned to my cost when I lost a platoon of Russian Valentine-57mm I had left out in the open when delaying - popped off at some pesky 251s and scout cars and then suddely whack-boom, whack-boom as the 88s covering the GE advance killed them all at 40 odds hexes !

Cheers
Andy