.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:42 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: YARG3, non newb MA+ENP2 RAND game. 14/18 players remain.

It sounds like there's been pretty significant damage one, and I haven't heard any objections against a rollback yet, so I'm going to go ahead with it. One rollback coming up, hopefully there won't be too much rethinking of turns in light of the rollback or any other unexpected issues.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdonj For This Useful Post:
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

llamabeast, thank you for the heads up and for handling the recent problems.

Those of us who don't want to modify their turns, can we rest assure that the previously sent .2h files are stored on the server?- Or would you recommend to resend the .2h files?
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:13 AM

General

Resend your files just in case, I don't quite remember how it's supposed to work and it's better safe than sorry.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

As I remember resending the turns is the worst possible scenario. Redoing the turn from scratch was the recommended procedure unless you wanted the game to crash.
I do however think Llamaserver stores the turns already sent and will use them on hosting, but don't take my word for it.
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:26 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Well, here are the instruction anyway:

This will cause the game to return to the previous turn.

Note that I generally recommend not doing this. The main reason for this is the fact that players have already seen the current turn, and so they know what would happen given the set of moves they used last time. Hence, consciously or not, they are very likely to use this information to change their actions next time they submit a turn. Even assuming none of the players' actions are affected, there will always be a suspicion in the mind of the other players if battles turn out significantly differently. Therefore just in the interest of having the game feel completely fair, I think rollbacks are a bad idea.

A further reason is a difficulty with game file confusion. Imagine turn 10 has just come out, and someone starts to play the turn. Then the game is rolled back to turn 9, and processed again to make a new turn 10. Unless players delete the 2h file they produced from the original turn 10, Dominions will not know to ignore it and may get seriously confused. This can cause a lot of madness, e.g. soldiers becoming commanders and gaining magic paths, and so on. So if you do do a rollback, make sure to remind players to delete their 2h files.

Having said that, there are situations where rollbacks are called for, which is why I've included the option here.

Read this next bit carefully. I seem to be having difficulties explaining it coherently:

Note that once the game is rolled back, it will appear that the game is waiting for 2h files from all players. However, the 2h files from last time the turn was played will in fact be there, and will be used if the game hosts without them being overwritten. This can be useful; often, a game is rehosted in order for only one or two players to retake their turns, while everyone else is expected to make no changes. The game admin can therefore wait till just those players have submitted, and then force hosting. None of the other players will stale (assuming they actually submitted a 2h file last time the turn was played).

I hope all that makes sense!

So I guess only those who staled should send in turns, and whoever started the new turn (I think some nations sent in turn 39 already) should delete the files before downloading the new turn.
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:31 AM

General

Resending files is definitely the worst case in a situation where the game had an issue. There shouldn't be a problem with fixing the current problem, and the instructions in the llamaserver about deleting files is for the new, useless files for the turn that was rolled back. Those definitely should be deleted. It's best if you don't make alterations to the sent in turn if it's not necessary though. Anyway thanks for linking the actual message, its been a while since I've read it.
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:44 AM

General

I'm aware of this: "Note that once the game is rolled back, it will appear that the game is waiting for 2h files from all players. However, the 2h files from last time the turn was played will in fact be there, and will be used if the game hosts without them being overwritten."

My concern is that, due to server problem, the 2h files from last turn will not be there. In which case, all who didn't stale last host will stale now. I guess we could do a 2nd roll back if that were to happen.
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM

General

What a turn, on the 40th month three nations fell: TC, Bandar Log (and finally - Pythium AI).

Who were TC and Bandar?
Old December 11th, 2011, 09:37 PM

Corporal

wonderloss is on a distinguished road

I was Bandar Log.
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:09 AM

General

And TC was played by tratorix.