Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Mod LA Oceania - seas of blood - Page 3 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 1st, 2011, 07:48 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LA Oceania - seas of blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestyMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasooli View Post
Personally I don't see any big thematic problem with UW blood sacrifice. It's thematically different from what the designers originally intended, but that's not necessarily bad.

I object more to casting blood spells underwater than bloodhunting underwater.

You may notice none of the current blood spells are useable underwater, and bloodslaves become gems instead of units when in an underwater battle and can't be accessed for casting.
I dont get why this doesnt work. Just imagine if you will, a blood mage, floating in the deep ocean, over an altar. He sacrifices the mermaid, and is suddenly literally swimming in blood, the magical energy of the blood is surrounding him. i feel like that's almost *more* effective cause he is swimming in blood, not just standing over it.
Yes, but what does the mage do when a swam of sharks sense the blood in the water and come to tear the mage apart?
UW blood summoning sounds very dangerous to me...
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:57 AM

Private

Sasooli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Yes, but what does the mage do when a swam of sharks sense the blood in the water and come to tear the mage apart?
UW blood summoning sounds very dangerous to me...
Actually this is a perfect explanation for why blood rituals but not battle spells work underwater. Try sacrificing during combat and you'll get a cloud of bloody water which a) quickly disperses in the currents and b) attracts sharks to 'distract' you. But when casting in a lab you retreat to a specially prepared room and close the doors, solving both these problems. That seems pretty cool to me.

(Of course if we want to be really picky the amount of blood in one sacrifice must be tiny comapred to the amount flying around a battlefield anyway, but who wants to be really picky?)
Old April 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Private

Treant Hugger is on a distinguished road

Here is an updated version. I've adjusted the price/stats of some of the units and added a blood hunter mermage. Also some higher level blood spells.

I've statted two more summons, but don't really have the time to make sprites for them, so they're unimplemented and untested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LA oceania.zip (103.6 KB, 159 views)
Old April 30th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

treant- if your serious about this mod and balancing it, you really should take the time to go through the comments here and talk about each one. squirrell for example, may be a little rude, but he has good thoughts.
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

New Version:

The good:
*Diverse nationally useful gem income, yay!
*recruit anywhere blood hunter, yay!
*cap-site resource boost - UW nations frequently get screwed on resources, so this is a good idea.
*Gold increase on pearl guardians

The not so good
*enc increase on pearl guardians
*still retains vestiges of unfallen past: mermages, bishop fish, capricorns
*Demonic tritons in starting army probably too strong, at least in those numbers
*CBM mod conflict: weapons on pearl gatherer, pearl guardian
*Black Capricorn, acolyte of the shoals overcosted

The weird:
*pearl guardian has a hoof attack in sea form? Seems kind of weird.

Suggestions:
*Black Capricorn needs more magic or to come down in price. A 25% random is insufficient.
*Acolyte of the shoals is an 80g commander at the highest.
*Pearl Guardians encumbrance is really out of line, especially with current CBM. I'd suggest you give them base enc. 5 but make them #mounted (note that you'll want to decrease defense to compensate for the +3 for mounted), which will make them more in line with other sacred cavalry. Alternately, decrease the enc. on the armor they're wearing and go back to base enc. 3.
*Having Black Capricorns cap only but regular capricorns recruit everywhere really takes away from the uniqueness of the nation. Similarly, mermages being unchanged from MA and the continuance of bishop fish add up to a nation that doesn't actually seem that impacted relative to MA, all fluff to the contrary. I'd suggest the following:
**Make your mermages be W2B1 and their random include blood.
**Make black capricorn recruit anywhere and capricorns cap only, if not eliminated entirely.
**Do something to bishop fish. Eliminate, corrupt, or something.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:35 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Idea seems quite good. Not tested yet, but some thoughts occurred right now:
Using Abyssal in unit(s) name as somebody here suggested. Much more thematic than "pearl".
Generally, I think undersea Blood magic/sacrifice quite thematic. After all, it was present in real world. But - probably the game designers had some reasons for not using it in the basegame, so bugs are quite possible here.
I do not think 4-armed demon is thematic here. However, there are a score of quite demonic-looking or called deepwater animals. E.g., there is a squid called "sea devil" - actually, it's quite small, but... Some extinct animals may also be handy. I'd also look into, say, Polynesian mythology.
Maybe, too, blood vortex should look more like vortex in a sea and less like a tornado?
Maybe more later.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:09 PM

Sergeant

any chance of getting the homecoming spell to work soon? also, you should maybe make the great devilfish sprite bigger to differentiate it from the normal ones.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:54 PM

Sergeant

So i really like this mod, and the idea of an UW blood nation. in fact, i like it so much i can't wait to see it become more balanced etc. so i decided to make some adjustments of my own. I hope you dont mind, i am of course giving all the credit to you, and if you add anything new, i will fold it into my rework. I made a lot of changes, feel free to look or comment. the thread for it is here:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/...?showtopic=426

Thank you for this great mod
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM

Sergeant

Hey, some guys said you were on IRC the other day talking about me editing you mod. I dont want you to think that i am stealing it in any way. I give you full credit for it, and that is the first thing i say in my posting of my version of it.
Basically i apologize for being too impatient. I loved the concept and you didnt seem to be too keen on updating it and making it MP playable etc, which i understand if you are just busy and dont have a ton of free time.
That said, anything you add, i am sure will be really awesome and probably much better than what my limited modding skill can produce, so i surely dont want you to stop improving it.

Btw, if you want to talk more on IRC, i am usually on pretty much all day (US Time)

Oh, and you should allow pm's on your profile
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Private

Treant Hugger is on a distinguished road

I've not done anything to this mod since May. You can play around with it, but I think you all are missing the thematic point - blood magic is evil, and Oceania's rulers wouldn't be dealing with demons if it weren't for the madness and death R'lyeh causes. Much like LA Ulm is a nation whose mages and vampires are (meant to be) hidden from the population.

I haven't checked your changes but I recommend giving the Black Capricornss a 200% random pick (like I originally intended, but was not available at the time). I also think #onebattlespell Sabbath Slave works well on the acolytes.