This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Corporal

neofit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Colony Types

Thanks for the info on migration Raapys. But am I the only one to be suprised that all of a sudden all of 181M immigrants can come onto my planet? It would be OK if for instance 5% can arrive and/or 5% could leave, but 181M/500M in one month? It is bordering on an exploit, only it happens without me doing anything.

Besides I don't see how "the two empires' population can become equal", if I suck up 180M people per turn per planet from him, depending on the calculation I will either bleed him dry or immigration will stop once his population drops down to a certain threshold (and I always had more than him IIRC since we signed the treaty).
Old November 13th, 2006, 02:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Migration works sort of like osmosis. Planets with high populations will flow into lower populated planets. The amount per turn will be affected by the difference in population...
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

It also only flows towards breathable planets (for the migrating population).
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Sergeant

Shadowstar is on a distinguished road

It would be nice if domestic migration would end up eliminating micro-management of "breather-swapping". I still have to do quite a bit of it and it ties up my transports. If anything, domestic migration should be higher than international migration, which needs to be much lower. In other words, races migrating across empires should use 10% the rate they are now, while domestic migration within an empire should use the current rate.

I also think it would be interesting if migration had the effect of giving a bonus to intel targeting the other party (while giving them the same bonus towards you), so that it wouldn't be something you'd do with someone you didn't quite trust, but it would be great for allies who can trust each other (since it would also effect cooperative intel).
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Shadowstar said:
If anything, domestic migration should be higher than international migration, which needs to be much lower. In other words, races migrating across empires should use 10% the rate they are now, while domestic migration within an empire should use the current rate.

Maybe migration between empires should depend on population loyalty, or does it work like that already?
Or happines could be a factor, with people migrating towards places with higher happines.

But I'm getting of topic here since these would be hardcode changes I believe. Anyhow great mod Kwok!

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Sergeant

Shadowstar is on a distinguished road

Randomness seems to be best in this case. Some people like living in strange places. Some people don't care much about thier living environment and will choose to live where it's cheaper. When you throw in different species of people, it just gets more random. That said, there should at least be some basic generalizations used. For instance, there are some things everyone wants equally, so it makes sense that people would migrate toward planets where they can breathe outside, and migrate away from planets where they can't.

As for happiness, i'd say that would be a minor factor when compared to loyalty. People should only migrate on the basis of loyalty when they are loyal to another empire. If they are displeased or have low loyalty to thier current empire, but aren't loyal to any other empire, then they should stay put. When they do migrate, they should migrate to the empire that they are loyal to, not just to some random empire under the treaty. In some cases, it is concievable that loyalty could cause outright abandonment of planets, but in these cases it would behoove the empire in question to seriously consider thier migration treaties. This will dissuade players from starting up migration treaties willy-nilly.

Also, planet conditions should have an effect, but shouldn't cause migration away from the planet. Conditions should put a cap on incoming migration instead, since planets with poor conditions would be considered "low-income housing", which is a neccessary evil in any civilization. Basically, low-income housing exists because some people just can't live anywhere else, but they still need a place to live.

In all other cases, it should be random.
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Sergeant

Yimboli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
neofit said:
Colonized a 3rd planet, same explosive growth. I mix them with humans on a carbon dioxyde planet that is domed for both of them, and they again grow many times faster than humans.
Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:
It also only flows towards breathable planets (for the migrating population).
neofit's experience contradicts SJ's stated policy. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:25 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Getting back on topic:

I'm hoping to release v0.97 tomorrow. It's mostly tweaks in terms of data file changes, but it will add about a half-dozen new colony types for the AI. The new types described mixed-use colonies (ie Mineral & Farming Colony or Research & Intel Compound etc.) to help the AI use it's planets better. This change also allowed me to further refine selection criteria for the colony types. The last step will be refine the selection process by whether or not a planet is breathable...

---

Not sure about the reproduction/migration item mentioned by Neofit - but I'll try out that scenario and see if there is a bug present.
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Corporal

shinigami is on a distinguished road

CK, you've done a great job with this mod but....

I think you've missed a minor balance issue, ship slots. The number of ship slots varies wildly from race to race. Take the frigate for example, the number of slots ranges from a low of 20 to a high of 44. Now granted, most ship designs don't use all of their slots (I did say it was a minor issue ) but it can be frustrating for a human player to have to change hull levels to design the exact same ship that fit everything on the same level with a different race.

A bit esoteric but, just a thought.
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Private

DrewBlack is on a distinguished road

Captain

How far are you away from releasing 0.97, im ready to start a game and but dont want to start with .96 then ditch again in a day or 2 to start a .97.

Keep up the excellant work on this mod... tremendous.

Drew