.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:10 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT-Black Company

Okay Badger, you win my friend. I'm going to check out Neverwhere, as this is not the first place I've seen the name Neil Gaiman just lately, so it must be a sign. If that works out, I may pick up some others - but I don't spend as much time reading as I used to, so we shall see how that goes.

At any rate, thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMorrison For This Useful Post:
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
Stephen Brust is a wonderful writer, and I can't recommend him enough, except that I just can't abide his Taltos novels. To me they read like an internet chatroom live action role-playing melodrama, where everybody's part dragon, part elf, and part supermodel, with a mandatory tragic past, lost love, sentient weapon, adopted children, sparkling emerald eyes, and enough powerful friends to gag a senate committee. So, take that as you will, but I do consider him extraordinarily talented, aside from that. Try "Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grill" It's not fantasy, but it's good.
Personally, I had a sentient beltbuckle. And I'd recommend Brust's "To Reign in Hell" before "Cowboy Feng's". It's fantasy, captain, but not as we know it. It's also brilliantly written.

I also recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's fantasy, in particular her "Curse of Chalion."
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

I also like Brust's TRIH. Very tragic.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Hi, all this talk about the fantasy books got me interested and I found some images which would make nice Dom3 maps. Maybe one of the fans of the "A Song of Ice And Fire" series wants to make a Dom3 map out of Westeros with those images?

See http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...?Number=621022
Emergency comic relief
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:28 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I haven't read TRIH. Cowboy Feng was the first experience I had with Brust, and although it's probably not everybody's cup of tea, the extraordinary, even awesome, thing about Cowboy Feng is that every chapter in the book is written in a different writing style-and there are a lot of chapters. It's like reading an anthology of 16 different short stories by 16 different authors, except that they're all the *same* author, and they all continue the *same* story. That's special, especially to me because, as a writer, I like to play with different styles and mimic other authors.

By the way, speaking of modern writers, this is what I'm reading now:

http://www.johndiesattheend.com/

I'm only on the first few chapters so far, but it's really, really good! not to mention free, and easily accessible online.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:16 AM

First Lieutenant

sum1lost is on a distinguished road

Hey, honeybadger, as a writer, what do you think of the community at Pagesunbound?

if you aren't familiar with the site, it has a bunch of aspiring writers who are attempting to circumvent publishers by self-publishing online.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:19 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Well, I love self-publishing. I'll check the site out, thanks
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:04 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
sum1lost said:
if you aren't familiar with the site, it has a bunch of aspiring writers who are attempting to circumvent publishers by self-publishing online.
Commenting as a reader, I'm not interested in reading anything that have "circumvented the publishers." I don't want to have to sort through the slush pile myself.
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:01 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Leif_- said:
Quote:
sum1lost said:
Commenting as a reader, I'm not interested in reading anything that have "circumvented the publishers." I don't want to have to sort through the slush pile myself.
You make the assumption that the publishers' interests and your interests coincide, and that therefor they tend to make the best choices for you.

Since you are here, I would assume that you are not a slave to the Best Sellers' list, so I actually find this comment a bit odd. Well that comment, not this one, I don't find this one odd at all. >.> Okay, the last comment, yes that was odd, but the one before it wasn't, neither is this one.

Shhhh.
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
JimMorrison said:
You make the assumption that the publishers' interests and your interests coincide, and that therefor they tend to make the best choices for you.
Not at all; but experience has shown that publisheres overall make good choices for me, and I'm willing to pay them for that work. Plus, what I've seen of self published writing tends to suggest that practically all of it is overwritten, underedited, badly clicheed tripe.

Besides, the interests of an author's are no more convergent with my own than are those a publisher's, so why should I believe that self-publishing authors would in any way benefit me as a reader?