.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 15th, 2008, 05:17 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Real-world sensitivities and game names

Lost somewhere beneath the pile of money Sid Meyer gets for Civilization.

You know, one thing that I find games do, as sequils are made, is to drop, slowly but surely, the fun little boardgamey quirks that made the games stand out. The Total War series, for instance. Shogun played almost like a boardgame that you could get inside of, but as amazing as the sequils have been, each one seems to spend less and less time on everything but the main engine. It's like building a Formula 1 racer-sure it goes incredibly fast, and it does things that no streetcar could ever do, but it's not comfortable, and video games should be comfortable. They should play like boardgames, or be hobbies like Dom3. I really think the problem with a lot of games today is that they're not loved enough. With AC, you can feel a lot of devotion and dedication that was put into the game. I think the people who made it probably enjoyed making it and playing it, a lot more than they did just factorying out yet another Civ.
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:03 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
Lost somewhere beneath the pile of money Sid Meyer gets for Civilization.
Then again, they are working on Colonization II right now, so it's not like they've completely forgotten their old games.
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

This is true, Sid remade his railroad game, and Pirates, and now Colonization..... Perhaps AC II is not too big a stretch of the imagination for a few years from now.

Pray with me. I don't care if you're religious - I'm not - just pray, please.

I do agree Badger, a second will probably lose a bit of the "endearingly flawed" qualities of the first. Ironic how the flaws of the sequels are never so lovable. But a second iteration would be awfully nice - more so if it is more just a UI and engine upgrade than anything else.

And yes, I feel in love with Shogun, and introduced several of my friends to Total War because of it. I think it's funny, because they keep adding depth to the strategic layer, and making it play much less like a board game (which I don't mind in theory, but do you see the new one has tech trees?!), but all of the stuff that they keep piling onto the tactical combat just keeps breaking it, and I fear you won't be able to enjoy a tactical land combat at all in Total War: Empires.

Oh how the mighty have fallen OT. >.>
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road

Slighty off topic (or maybe back on topic)

webuser: Kohen are offensive
sternest: Knave of fine heroes.
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:16 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

Quote:
JimMorrison said:
I'm actually very confused. Is this intended to be a serious discussion of whether or not Dom3 is PC enough? The entire notion of PC seems to just be another layer of American neo-Puritanism struggling to insulate "innocent" minds against the reality of the world.
Political correctness isn't about using nice words for bad things. It's about removing bad terminology from people who don't deserve it.

For instance, I'd expect most people should recognise that it is not okay to call blacks "n*****s", or homosexuals "f*****s". Or that women in the workplace should get called "Honey" and told to make the coffee. The last 50 years particularly, Western society has put a lot of time into fighting prejudice. That's what PC is supposed to be all about.

Where the term "political correctness" comes in is that reactionary bigots objected to having to treat the objects of their contempt with respect and fairness. So they popularised the term "political correctness" (although it existed in some form well before that) as a pejorative. Then they picked on the few particularly extreme or absurd things at the fringe, or just made up their own (such as using euphemisms for bad events) and bundled it all up to smear the whole progressive social movement, and through it their political opponents.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:23 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Agema:

Why not niggas? They talk to each other with these words.

Political correctness is now just a part of rotten upper classes in Europe that say that extreme PC is necessary part of progressive world.

LA Agartha guide
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

2 cents worth, and only 2 cents worth.

I have a degree in Culturel Anthropology and alot of what is mentioned in this game is semi-correct or at least has a mythological tilt to it.

Gentlemen (and ladies), we are who we are...

We where a barbaric people by our modern standards and a normal people by the Era's they lived in.

Dragons had Virgins had sacrificed to them but I havn't heard One person decry that it is discrimanation agianst the fairer sex.

I suggest that if a nation offends you...don't play it.

If someone is using a Nations like (example) Ulm and is quoting the Baaaaaad Adolph, and it offends you...Quit the game.

Its Role Playing and supposed to ne thematic and somewhat civilised. But we can't contol everyone, we can only do what we do in real life...choose not to be around those that offend us.

Guess that was a nickel's worth!! [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Peace.gif[/img]
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

The way I see it, there's no point in worrying about potential offense. Once we get some actual offense it can be worth discussing, but until then we're just chewing chud.
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that these conversations impact multiple levels.

There is the question of "why not in the game".
And then there is "why not on these forums".
And then finally "why not in general conversation" (PMs, email to each other, IRC, etc)

Of course the first one would come up against "the devs decide", the second one comes up against "Shrapnel decides", and the last one... well that would vary.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Mmh don't blame to much the politically correctness. A lot is ridiculous and drives to hypocrisy. Some is an important way to keep conversations polite, diplomatic and not offending people who don't deserve it. If you call someone f*g, you're not only offending him, you're using a word which was used for decades by homophobic morons - people our society is leaving behind, fortunately.

Back to the topic anyway... But if giants coming from the Jewish mythology, and possibly speaking the Jew language, call their priests in their language, which is of course the language of the Jews as those giants where invented by them... it is just thematic. Where is the offense? Really, I don't understand. And if there is something I am NOT is anti-Semite - even Jew people just said in that thread they didn't find it offensive... so it's strange still to be talking about this