.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 7th, 2004, 08:45 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: What other games are people playing??

At the moment i play mostly Dominions 2 .
I played a long time lots of Diablo 2 and Counterstrike but after about a year i got bored by them .
Diablo 2 mainly because the cheating started to suck too much and CS because i couldn't see Dust , Aztec , Dust 2 etc. anymore

I enjoy Steel Panthers WaW still a lot and play it occasionally again even now after 2 years , almost the same with Steel Panthers MBT .

The Paradox Games Eu2 , Victoria and HoI i still play too they are just great

Finally i bought now some cheap not really old games which i enjoy too :
Civ 3 with Conquests
Disciples 2
Etherlords

And some oldies which are now available for free like Great battles of Alexander or Vantage Master
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:00 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

I tend not to play the same game for too long (moodiness and all), so I am playing more than a few games at the same time. Don't ask.

- Space Empires IV: The game I have been playing for the longest time (more or less one year; though Daggerfall would also qualify there).
- Zork: Grand Inquisitor and Omikron: I will finish them. Yes, I will. Hopefully.
- Discworld Noir (only at the beginning of Act II, but I love it already)
- One or two Interactive Fictions here and there.
- A game of Freespace 2 from time to time (fan-made campaigns mostly)
- Ambush in Sector 9 for my arcade needs. The official site for this one is down at the moment of the writing (it is a freeware).
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:02 AM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

Magic the Gathering Online and Medieval (in which i wish a better ai)
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:36 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Heh.

I have started playing again Titans of Steel Last week, trying new veterna-level compaigns.

I don't think a lot of people played or even heard about this game. All I can say about it - it is the Dominion 2 of turnbased sci-fi strategy.

The depth of this game is amazing, but ne aware that the learning curve is steep as an Everest. Dom2 learining curve is kindergarden compared to that one. ;( UI in partuclar seem very convulted in first, until you really dig how the gaem work. Than you start thinking of its UI as a brilliant.

The main obstacle to learn is that it is neither turnbased not realtime game, belonging instead to unique subgenre. It is neither "I Go You Go", or "We Go" (lime in Combat Missions) system. It created new subgenre of turn based games by itself.

Everything is happening in the same time BUT it is happening in time-segemrts (seconds). It feels like turnbased game but not quite, and because everything is happenign at the same time - shooting, movement, etc, it takes some time to get used to the idea, since it play very doffent from other turn based games.

Frankly I never was a fan of mechwarrior-types univerce, giant robots, etc. But the game hooked even me, and hooked me good. It has strong RPG elements in addition to very deep strategy, the cusotimization level of both giant robots and thier "jockeys" (drivers) is amazing, and the AI is extremely smart and totally brutal (without cheating!)

Basicly if you like turnbased hardcore strategy(even if you don't care about mechwarriors, like I don't), you have to try that game. The commercial Version called "Titans of Steel:The Warring Suns", it is enchanced Version of freeware game, with several compaigns. Make sure to download all the patches, the user guides/tables from the forum. And kiss your social life good bye for week or two - that game is addictive as hell.

Regards,
Stormbinder
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Sergeant

Karacan is on a distinguished road

If you see Hetzer, tell him I miss him.

Titans Of Steel is unfortunately not as complex as it looks, but good fun anyway. The Mechdesigning itself is very well done, and nearly limitless. Though if you gain half a year experience (or play once against the real pros), you find that there are only a few choices how to sensibly configure your Titans, and then its still down to terribly randomness, especially if both sides have newbie jockeys...

Things I still play: King Of Dragonpass (every now and then), Morrowind (one of my main characters has an extensive library, and I like to read those books ), Diablo 2 (though I much prefer the atmosphere and story of Diablo 1, but my girlfriend only wants to play D2...) and System Shock 2 in a multiplayer campaign. I consider getting Warlords IV, despite the bad critics and despite the terrible user interface I've seen in the demo (for the sake of gods, you can't deactivate a group in a city, so that when you cycle to your next unmoved unit, it will always pop up... hope that gets fixed in a patch, blech...), because I loved Warlords III dearly and can't get it running under WinXP... *sigh*
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Sergeant

Vynd is on a distinguished road

I am also playing Medeival: Total War and Angband. Let's hear it for rogue-like games!
Old September 7th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
magnate said:
My list is distressingly similar to Cainehill's - Dom2, Diablo2, (S)Angband. I even have Anacreon (is there a newer Version?? Mine is ancient).

Yep - after being dead for, mmm, about a decade, Anacreon is in production once more. The latest Version was put out on 17 August this year, and can be found here : Anacreon Website .

It now runs under Windows and has graphics, instead of the text based interface.
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Captain

Aku is on a distinguished road

Magic the Gathering was a great card game until Wizards of the Coast ruined it. I quit when they bought it and started making it like Pokemon by changing the rules, throwing foil cards in, and made it that you had to have a certain deck type to win and being a good player didn't matter anymore. I even tried going back to it a year later and EVERYBODY had the same exact deck and I asked why and they said it is the only good deck you can make right now. Oh and it happened to be with the most expensive cards also. Wizards of the Coast did the same thing with AD&D. I am still a 2nd edition player.
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Corporal

Lex is on a distinguished road

hehe, i actually went to a few local Magic tournaments. never won though. What I remember from those days is you had to have a "millstone" deck (make your opponent run out of cards) and "moxy" deck (achieve the ultimate by winning on the first turn by having the rarest cards all in the same hand on the first turn). there where others, but those two where the only ones that really stuck to memory

Edit: I of course always played a fire deck.. favorite card of all time: the Shivan Dragon. totaly sucks in the game, was only worth $16 at the time, but the artwork for Magic cards where really cool!!
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Corporal

condors is on a distinguished road

championship manager
nhl eastside hockey manager
front office football
Sick as a parot

(i like my sports text sims)

I still fire up medieval total war sometimes on the weekend when i have a good amount of time

still play dom2 as well (its a much needed change from my normal gaming)