.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old September 19th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbiegame 3 on mosehansen . status : open

Yeah there are still a few days left until your holiday starts
And i wouldn't mind pausing the game for you too
Then you don't have to waste a thought on your dominiongame during your holiday like my nation will be screwed when i come back
Old September 19th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Corporal

Lex is on a distinguished road

strange. I just *lost* a big battle, yet the replay shows that I won it easily! Stupid patch is messing with my battle replays! I've upgraded the patch. I thought this server was updated too.
Old September 19th, 2004, 02:52 PM

First Lieutenant

Huzurdaddi is on a distinguished road

Hey Cohen/Thufir I hope one of the two of you will write up how Abysia was able to dismember T'ien Ch'i so quickly.

That has to be the fastest war I haev ever seen at this stage of the game.

A few screen shots and a little AAR would be great for people trying to figure out how to do stuff like that.

Oh and PashaDawg I have no problem with Jotunheim taking over for a little bit.

Quote:

strange. I just *lost* a big battle, yet the replay shows that I won it easily! Stupid patch is messing with my battle replays!

False horror spam actually failed? Impossible!!
Old September 19th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Corporal

Lex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Huzurdaddi said:
False horror spam actually failed? Impossible!!
I know! That's what I said!

Except I was attacking Cormyr. Still, my battle replay shows how I won (or could have won). Weird.
Old September 19th, 2004, 03:33 PM

Captain

Cohen is on a distinguished road

The Abysyan generals were planning since some months the invasion of the Manchurian empire.
In fact the chinese armies were blocking our expansion as planned, and our cumbersome and slow infantry will have spent so many months in forced marches to bring them is a good attaking position to overrun some duchies north-west of Abysyan homeland.

Scouts and infiltrators were sent to spy the enemy defences and army organization.
Meanwhile a fortified position was built in a chokepoint, to spy too the enemy moves in the standing valley.

But meanwhile the Abysyan military was preparing for war something new happened. The main army of Manchurian Empire was falling back pursued by an army composed of a lizard creatures lead by an huge wyrm.
The two big armies maneuvered for months giving time to Abysyans to launch a massive hunt for virgins and sacrifice them in order to bind hellish creatures to the fiery people. Sadly this choice brought away resources to our research and development team.

The confrontatio beetween the two stranger armies come at his end when the reptile army in an attempt to outflank the Manchurian one tried to make a bridge of ships using a small isle as intermediate column of support, chased by the Manchurians. But at the middle of their work the lizard spotted a fortification on the other side of the sea corner. And this fortification have an Abysya flag on his towers.

Closed beetween a neutral power as Abysya and the manchurian enemy, the lizards choosed not to have a double-front war and returned back from their bridge of ship, engaging battle with the Manchurian army awaiting for them.

There was a big clash, both sides suffered heavy casualties, and the Manchurian army was dispersed and routed.

This was the time that the Abysyan military warmachine started to move.
Our scouts have reported that the Manchurian officers had found many magical sites in their land, and that those lands are poorly defended by villagers and led by some burocrats.
Those provinces were easy prey for our hellspawned creatures that flied above the enemy fortress that held our main border, taking by surprise the poorly equipped manchurian garrison, meanwhile the abysyan infantry advanced through the valley and come to siege the borderline fortress.

Having dispatched a regiment for the provincial defence of the new borderline, our troops not seen by enemy, caught by surprise a Manchurian vanguard, meanwhile the chinese military answered advancing to menace our undefended northern borderline, forcing us to dispatch our flying forces there to prevent the fall of one of our holy temples of everburning fire ... but shall they come by time?
However a quick mustering of local militians has been already done.

[This AAR could provide some infos about Abysya, C'tis and Tien Chi ... something you can see by graphs, other no, but let's try to bring this game to a general AAR for fun, for everyone, if you agree with that]
- The Enemy of the SC and all the overpowered and unbalanced things.
Old September 19th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lex said:
strange. I just *lost* a big battle, yet the replay shows that I won it easily! Stupid patch is messing with my battle replays! I've upgraded the patch. I thought this server was updated too.
I restarted the server yesterday so it should be 2.14 ?
Well if anybody wants to check just put 2 clams on 1 scout and see if you get 1 or 2 astral pearls
Old September 19th, 2004, 04:34 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:

I know! That's what I said!

They *have* to fix that spell. That's *ahem* why I wanted to play Caelum.

I feel like a putz using false horrors with Pythium though. When your casters are A5W5S6 at least I feel like a putz using false horrors.

Quote:

There was a big clash, both sides suffered heavy casualties, and the Manchurian army was dispersed and routed.

So he attacked a special province? Damn that SUCKS. He really should have looked at what was in it before attacking. Well this will change the game ... somewhat drastically ...

God damn it.
Old September 19th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Captain

Cohen is on a distinguished road

No, there was a fight beetween C'tis army, and Tien Chi one. With C'tis winning and Tien Chi losing his main army.
Probably I wasn't so clear.
- The Enemy of the SC and all the overpowered and unbalanced things.
Old September 20th, 2004, 12:27 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:

Well if anybody wants to check just put 2 clams on 1 scout and see if you get 1 or 2 astral pearls

While I have no clams, I am totally willing for someone to "lend" me two and I will perform the experiment.

Quote:

With C'tis winning and Tien Chi losing his main army.

BUMMER for T'ien Ch'i. Well it's good for you but that means it's bad for us.

Oy.
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Thufir is on a distinguished road

For those who are interested in my Version of the events, here's what happened, in my view. Abysia's astounding success was a combination of good tactics (if questionable strategy) on his part combined with unbelievable stupidity on mine (and forgive me if I don't give you the full rundown on all the tactical errors that I made ).

On turn 17, Abysia attacked T'ien Ch'i as follows:
238 - 1 Assasin vs. PD1
211 - 1 Demonbred, 1 Devil vs. PD1
193 - 1 Demonbred, 1 Devil vs. PD1
186 - 1 Demonbred, 2 Devils vs. PD1

If you look at the map, and note that 272 is my capital
and that 244 was still indy, you'll see what an excellent choice he made in which provinces to attack. I held 178, with a castle (which of course he did not attack until later). For all he had very light attacking forces, he knew or guessed that I had PD1 in all those provinces.

On turn 17, I was sitting on C'tis's capital (125), while Slurpy was sitting one province north, 155, leaving me no path of retreat back to my own empire. One of the biggest blunders I made was on the previous turn forgetting to make the payments to 2 key mercenary Groups. As such, on turn 17 I had an inadequate army left with the choice of staying in the C'tis capital, taking one more crack at Slurpy (assuming he moved back into the capital), or attacking 155, which could still easily leave me attacking Slurpy, perhaps with PD into the bargain. Anyhow, I chose to stay in the capital, and lost my main army, including my pretender, my prophet and two heroes. In retrospect, this was one of my many blunders. If I had attacked 155, at least I would have had a retreat path into 178, and maybe some of my key commanders and/or pretender would've survived.

From this point my prospects looked (and still do look) bleak, indeed. To everyone in the game, most especially Slurpy, I apologize for my sloppy play. Especially as the consequence is that this game looks altogether too much like a two way race between Abysia and Pythium (although at least it's not a one way race! ). As if Abysia is not strong enough to begin with, giving her TC gem income into the bargain is hardly a good thing for the game, as a whole.

In my own defense I will say that my attack on C'tis if in poor judgement, was at least understandable in that C'tis had failed to take a single province at the time I committed to attack him. That gave me (I think) good reason to believe he was weak and could be taken out quite rapidly, and in a way that would leave me stronger to face the inevitable Abysian invasion (which I'll remind everyone - Abysia started making explicit threats on turn 7).

Anyhow, roughly speaking that's what happened. From this point, I'm not sure how many turns I've got left. At the least, I hope to force Abysia to use something more than the few paltry devils that he has to date. And I will do all that I can to counterattack, and if possible, take something significant back.