Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old May 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Private

Piłsudski is on a distinguished road
Default A Few Questions

I would first like to say hello to everyone on the forum - I am a long-timer avid fan of SPWaW but have recently switched over to playing MBT for the first time. Once I began playing MBT, I noticed several differences between the two games even though WaW is a modded version of MBT. Thus I am somewhat confused by several points:

1. In MBT, there are no pop-up windows as in WaW when firing weapons or mouse hovering over units or terrain. Is this purely a WaW feature, or did I download an older version of MBT (I have v.4.0)?

2. In WaW, you are given an option of conducting op fire (and can decline if you wish), but it seems in MBT, you can only limit the target types or range for op fire in MBT. Again, is this purely a WaW feature, or did I download an older version of MBT (I have v.4.0)?

I must say that MBT is a much different game than WaW, but thoroughly enjoyable once I get the feel for modern combat - which might take me a while! Any help with these question would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Few Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piłsudski View Post
I would first like to say hello to everyone on the forum - I am a long-timer avid fan of SPWaW but have recently switched over to playing MBT for the first time. Once I began playing MBT, I noticed several differences between the two games even though WaW is a modded version of MBT. Thus I am somewhat confused by several points:

1. In MBT, there are no pop-up windows as in WaW when firing weapons or mouse hovering over units or terrain. Is this purely a WaW feature, or did I download an older version of MBT (I have v.4.0)?

2. In WaW, you are given an option of conducting op fire (and can decline if you wish), but it seems in MBT, you can only limit the target types or range for op fire in MBT. Again, is this purely a WaW feature, or did I download an older version of MBT (I have v.4.0)?

I must say that MBT is a much different game than WaW, but thoroughly enjoyable once I get the feel for modern combat - which might take me a while! Any help with these question would be greatly appreciated.
WAW is not a modded version of our game in any way whatsoever. They made their game based on the SP3 engine, we remained with the SP2 engine we had been using before.

1) Pop up windows getting in the way are part of the SP3 engine. Same as the SP3 engine let you "magically" know your unit was spotted by some unseen enemy unit with a "~" character etc. The SP3 engine was horrible - and as I was on the beta test team, I knew that before it was released! . I got a free release copy from SSI - but would not have bought it, otherwise.

2) WAW only. It gives the human another unfair advantage over the AI (as the AI does not get to use that feature) - just like e.g. using ammo trucks is a human player only advantage in all SP games.

Our opfire filtering is used internally by the AI, and a skilled scenario designer can use it to set up AI "kill sacks" etc if so desired.

Try searching the WW2 and MBT forums on "opportunity fire" or "WAW" - this has all been discussed somewhere on these forums before.

cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Private

Ahh, thank you, Andy, for the reply. I was mistaken then about WaW being a mod of the original game, sorry about that. MBT plays out much differently than WaW and requires an entirely different approach in playing. However, I am entralled by the game, but have much to learn -especially that most infantry carry alot of anti-tank weapons and the like, or even anti-air missiles!
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

The latest version of winSPMBT is 4.5
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:24 AM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

Spmbt is a delight. And that stuff they hammered into you in the army actually works.

troopie
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:06 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ahh, thank you, Andy, for the reply. I was mistaken then about WaW being a mod of the original game, sorry about that. MBT plays out much differently than WaW and requires an entirely different approach in playing. However, I am entralled by the game, but have much to learn -especially that most infantry carry alot of anti-tank weapons and the like, or even anti-air missiles!
Do you have WinSPWW2?
Playing MBT in modern warfare, fresh from WaW would be frustrating,to say the least!

It's lot easier to get a grasp of the major differnce's from SPWaW and SPWW2,SPMBT and they are much different.

Last edited by gila; May 30th, 2009 at 01:14 AM..
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Probably the best way to learn the differences in modern combat ( and the differences between both games ) without suddenly diving in too deep to would be to start playing battles with winSPMBT in the late 1940's or early 50's then move up a decade at a time. That way you are not suddenly dropped into a ATGM rich enviroment without any lead in

As Andy noted WaW is NOT a mod of our games though our WW2 mod of Steel Panthers 2 predates the release of WaW by a couple of years.

Don
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Quote:
Do you have WinSPWW2?
Playing MBT in modern warfare, fresh from WaW would be frustrating,to say the least!

It's lot easier to get a grasp of the major differnce's from SPWaW and SPWW2,SPMBT and they are much different.
I have been playing Steel Panthers WaW (and Enhanced) for years, but never played SPWW2 strangely. The biggest change is in Op fire and the amount of ATGM in the game. I am still trying to learn the best op fire settings for units. What I have found so far is to set up platoons in Two-up formations, with my lead sections set at op fire of 2 or less hexes, my platoon leader set at 0 hexes, and my support section in the rear set at 8 hexes or so (but only if they are equipped with a decent MG).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Probably the best way to learn the differences in modern combat ( and the differences between both games ) without suddenly diving in too deep to would be to start playing battles with winSPMBT in the late 1940's or early 50's then move up a decade at a time. That way you are not suddenly dropped into a ATGM rich enviroment without any lead in

As Andy noted WaW is NOT a mod of our games though our WW2 mod of Steel Panthers 2 predates the release of WaW by a couple of years.

Don
In playing SPWAW, I almost always preferred infantry over armor, so this will help in switching over games. However, I jumped right into modern scenarios, starting with the Heart of Africa campaign. That campaign is simply a treat to play I will have to keep battles small, no more than a company in size, until I get the hang of it. I don't even want to try armor right now
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:03 AM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

yeah, modern warfare is crazy. Infantry can knock out tanks a kilometer away with impunity. Takes a whole different type of tactics
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:53 AM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post
yeah, modern warfare is crazy. Infantry can knock out tanks a kilometer away with impunity. Takes a whole different type of tactics
Bah! Actually the same since the sling, arrow and catapult was invented. "Break" the opponent's line with artillery. It's the "depth" of the line that has changed... and the fact that you put on your helmet on 2-3 kilometers "sooner" then your grandfather did !!!