This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 18th, 2004, 06:35 PM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Babylon 5 Mod

"Things" are moving along. Except for younger races now build 2 homeworld facilities at start, all other (that I know of) build challenges with homeworld facilities are gone.

Now to figure out why the Vorlon planet killer won't use the planet cracker beam

1st problem was shared family with the great machine.

[ April 18, 2004, 17:49: Message edited by: pathfinder ]
Old April 18th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Rambie. The rate of development in this mod is way too slow. It greatly detracts from the fun value, especially in multiplayer play. Gameplay over realism any day.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

I thought the development was fine.
My little isolated colonies got nothing done, but for the ones that I could ship workers in to, they were all running quite nicely.

It would suck if I had had all my colonies filled up with facilites too quickly.
We don't want races spreading like viruses. There should be a relatively small number of populated colonies, and a bunch of tiny mining outPosts, not system after system of maxxed out planets.
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

And precisely how much faster do you want construction to go? Rambie mentioned 40%, any other thoughts?

I agree with SJ. And it so happens that that line of thought matches the series perfectly.

[ April 18, 2004, 18:16: Message edited by: Timstone ]

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old April 18th, 2004, 09:35 PM

Major General

I'll make the same statement I made Last year over weapons...I am NOT going to make a major re-write. Not because it may not be needed but because I am not going to put forth that kind of effort. The changes I am making now are minor, more or less cosmetic ones.

If someone feels strongly enough...have at it and make a re-write, I'll applaude your effort.

[ April 18, 2004, 20:36: Message edited by: pathfinder ]
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:02 PM

Sergeant

Rambie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder:
I'll make the same statement I made Last year over weapons...I am NOT going to make a major re-write.
I think I can safely say that we all appreciate the work you have, and continue, to do for the mod.

I agree that colonies need to take time to build up. However, even on planets that I maxed out with population it took an average of 20 years (20 turns) to build most facilities.

I don't mind making an effort toward a more realistic game and I don't want to see the MOD most as fast as stock SE4, However, a balance needs to be made between game play and realism. Perhaps 40% increase is too much, but 20-25% would seem a good compromise.
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:32 PM

Major General

Rambie: I was just making my position clear. No rant intended on my part. Just wanted all to know that any major re-write will have to come from someone else. I WILL continue to tweak until I have done all I can do with my pitiful skills and trust me; I am almost at the end of those.

[ April 18, 2004, 21:34: Message edited by: pathfinder ]
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok. Gameplay over canon any day. Canonism and realism MUST be sacrificed for playability... the mod is way too slow as is. It doesn't have to go at the same pace as the stock game, but for MP, the really slow pace of the mod makes it very little fun to play...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old April 19th, 2004, 02:06 AM

Corporal

Nomor is on a distinguished road

I think....

maybe I should get the gold Version of this game...

only thing is that they want so much for the flaming postage that it goes up more that $60.00

UK are just as bad at £35.00 plus p&p. Too much for what is just an upgrade

If I wait for the mod to be finished the price should have come down to the $24.00 mark..or there'll be SEIV platinum .

Look post 105... lookout Timstone
I thought the development was fine. Apart from terraforming..

[ April 19, 2004, 01:22: Message edited by: Nomor ]
Old April 19th, 2004, 02:11 AM

Sergeant

grumbler is on a distinguished road

Okay, back from two weeks in Modem Hell. Very frustrating.

As regards the slow build up versus fast buildup, mt approach has been to use the Aggressive facilities as cheaper (half the usual cost) and 'almost as good" facilities for the small/domed planets that will never have a big enough population to build the full-sized facilities in less than geological time. Of course, strip-mining the planet means you make it uninhabitable (and eventually even worthless depending on how far down you drive the planet values) but then you just move on and abandon it!

The main issue with "slowness" is the population modifiers, but they are also the coolest feature (except the declining production values as population climbs over 620M people, but that's a seperate battle).

A second issue with "slowness" is that manufacturing colonies actually reduce the production rate (except MC III which leaves it unchanged).

I would argue that canon says that ship construction takes place mostly in orbit. Orbital shipyards should be expensive but should be more capable than planet-based ones. This actually helps playability, as this means that you don't have to wait for the planet to be populated by facilities before you construct your Amazing All-Powerful Armada - planetary development is interrupted to build the orbital shipyard, but then shipbuilding and planetary development are not in competition.

This works well in playtesting, with the exception of the fact that the AI builds all its orbital shipyards around its homeworld (which is more of a disappointment than a problem).