This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:37 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: suggest a printer

I approach buying a printer fram the opposite direction.. I look to see what printer has the less expensive ink cartridges and then check out the printers they fit. I personally have an Epson Stylus 670 and my ink costs $7cdn/Black and $12cdn/Color (Note I buy Print-Rite compatible ink, not original Epson they cost about double.) I get about 500 pages of B&W and about 35 Full color photo quality (8.5" x 11") prints from the color.

My next printer will be a Canon, any one that has the separate color ink cartridges. (I'm leaning towards the Canon PIXMA iP4000, the ink sells for $8cdn each color and $12cdn for a double capacity Black. Oh, and it's quiet & fast.)

nuf said, Cheers!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:03 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road

Well this could be true or it could be like my inkjet. I put in cartridges in my inkjet and inevitably it will say I go through ink like crazy! I mean I print 50-100 pages and it's down to less than a quarter of a cartridge for both cartridges on my printer status window. However, in my case, it lies. I can get down to less than a quarter and print 3-5 times the amount I printed in the first 3/4 of the cartridges. Frankly I don't think the software accurately measures the amount of ink in the cartridges. This COULD be your case as well. If not you may want to look into refilled cartridges online. I used to get a lot of mine that way to save money and a lot of them have a good variety of epson, brother, lexmark, etc printer cartridges to chose from. Unfortunately for me, I haven't really found a good place for my hp cartridges that really gives me much of a discount.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:50 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Well, I hope that's the case with my printer; I guess I'll know when I print more pages. I don't think I'm going to remove the cartridge to see how full it is because the printer user manual said it's not a good idea to remove and re-insert the cartridge. Hopefully, this printer doesn't rely on the software to know when the ink is empty.

Another way to refill the cartridge is to buy a do-it-yourself refill kit that comes with bottles of ink, a syringe and a drill. You're supposed to make a hole in the used cartridge and fill it up with new ink using the syringe. This is really inexpensive, but I'm not sure about doing this because I don't know if the ink that comes in the kit is compatible with the printer.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:51 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I've had good and bad results with refill kits. I used to do this with my epson printer and it worked okay. It was a little bit of a pain to get it to work at first correctly(had to clean the printheads a million times, had to do a bunch of test prints), but this did work. When I tried it with a different printer (might have been a lexmark), it didn't work as well and I could never get it to print right-always had streaks, some colors wouldn't print correctly, etc. So finally I ended up giving up on the refilling idea. Some cartridges seem to take well to it, others don't.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:59 PM

General

Yeah, software 'ink monitors' are bad. When my epson says the ink well is dry, I can still print a good 50 more pages in black and a good 5-6 pages in full color. I now use the old reliable method to know if the ink cart is dry. when the printout dies halfway throught the page. that's one good thing about inkjet printers, they don't fade gradually, they simply die mid-stride. It goes without saying that you 'must-have' a spare cart on hand for these occasions. I always have a spare cart of each black and color ink. when I install it, I usually get a new cart within 24 hours. I have never been in a situation where I couldn't print due to not having ink.

Cheers!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:45 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

Then we should all be interested in this:
News Item
Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:08 PM

General

interesting tid-bit there.. I had to look at my Print-Rite carts to see if they have an expiration date.. yup, they sure do, mine are 12-2005 so I should be ok.

Cheers!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Yes interesting indeed Slynky. I have a combo pack of cartridges I am about to put in my printer. They are HP and they list the following "Minimum 6 month limited warranty from install before date." My install before date is Jan 2006, so I am fine but it is something I will pay attention to in the future. I have never had a problem with my hp cartridges but I imagine that is in large part to the fact that I probably run out of ink and have to get a new cartridge before the old expires.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

Well, as stated before, ink printer folks are not really in the printer business but the ink cartridge business. That's why they sell printers so inexpensively. And BTW, that's the ONLY reason Kodak ever started selling cameras; so they could sell more film.

Personally, I use inkjet only when I have to. I just bought an HP LaserJet 1012 and am very happy with it. IMO laser printers are cheaper than inkjet in the long run.

I paid about $140 for the one I got and have printed over 1000 pages so far with the included toner (which BTW is a "starter" cartridge). New toner costs $39 (about the same as most color ink cartridges) and I should be able to get close to 1500 on a new one.

Except for no color, a laser printer is far more cost effective IMO. And the 1012 works great; very fast first-page-to-print and rated at 15 ppm at 1200 dpi. Pretty solid IMO.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:32 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road

Laser printers can have color. And they're super speedy.

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"