.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Starcraft II and Elemental

My problem with Stardock's forums is mostly the suppression of negativity that makes it impossible to see a situation from multiple perspectives. When I want to learn about a game, the most valuable feedback for me is the negative feedback because it is generally the most honest. People gushing about the game is largely meaningless because you're on that game's forum, of course the people there are going to like it. For positive feedback it's better to go to metacritic/gamefaqs or a neutral board.

Even now that the negativity on their boards is overwhelming, every post must contain the caveat that "I love Stardock and I know they will support their game" before being honest. It's ridiculous and I don't see that on these forums at all. Any bashing on these forums is usually people asking questions they could answer themselves with some testing, or from experienced players who forget just how complex and daunting Dom3 is to new players. Even then it's pretty rare.

I just finished my first sandbox game of Elemental last night. Tiny map, ridiculous monsters and all ridiculous AIs. I had the game wrapped up by turn 70 but I played until turn 250 to finish the tech tree and check out quests, etc. I finally won via the quest of mastery but I did crush a few nations to get to the quest locations.

Now that I have accepted the UI flaws and the quirky behavior and crashes, the game is actually growing on me a little. I see the game's potential for fun given lots of patches or a huge balance mod (like CBM does for Dom3). That doesn't really excuse the current state of the game, but if you could pick this game up at Christmas for $30 that might not be a bad deal.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM

Sergeant

Kheldron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
+1

with small correction -
Plenty of married guys here (me included), see the thread that goes something along the lines of "mouse clicks when playing dom makes my girlfriend/wife/mother in low, angry/sleep deprived/lock me in basement"
Oh, not mine. My wife (who I should mention, spends considerably more time actually playing games on her computer, than I do on mine,) finds this all to be adorable.

I've actually been encouraged to play more, provided I still give her an acceptable amount of attention, and keep the house from falling apart.

My mother in law, on the other hand, is a very avid collector of Harry Potter merchandise, and has owned atleast 3 computers since I've known her, so I'm not getting a lot of grief from that quarter, either.
You lucky lucky man

At my house dominions is like, I'd say, a pet that only I like. For my wife it's no better than a flea infested, bad smelling mongreal and she probably wouldn't mind giving it the occasional kick or downright kick it out of the house
+1
Except my wife actually asked me to chose between this "pet" and her several times. This plural supposedly means she's not too serious about it but who knows?

I had forgotten about this thread WL, thx for reminding it to me, that was one good time when I didn't feel alone with my "household vs dom3" issue

and Baalz, IIRC the clicking problem was never solved since it's a "physical" one with mouses.
Try to move some dozens of blood slaves/gems, at night, with all computer sound off just to realize how stressing this particular noise can be for a nearby sleeping usually-loving-but-never-in-this-case wife
The Following User Says Thank You to Kheldron For This Useful Post:
Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The switches dont work?
-s --nosound .......... No sound effects or music
-m --nomusic ......... No music
--musicvol X ........... Set music volume, 0-100
--clickvol X ............. Set mouse click volume, 0-100

Id have to look at which ones Im using since Ive had the defaults majorly changed for a long time.

Along the same lines, there is also a Sound Pack file. The description I have on the Dom3Minions.com link page is....

Quote:
Ballbarian's file of replacement sounds for elefant.smp (oliphants)
f_death.sw (1 of the female death sounds) fear.smp (R'lyeh mind blast &
several death/fear spells) sling.sw (slings) vasande.smp (Wyrm, etc).
This is definetly a life saver if your significant other is irritated
by some of the sounds the game makes.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Concerning forums that dont allow negativity, I hear that a lot. I know people want that but am I just too old-on-the-net to be surprised by that anymore? The only forum with no censoring is going to be your own (and dont be surprised if others dont even agree with that). ANY company whether its games or cars or music or whatever is probably going to delete "unhelpful rants" (in their view) to some extent, which causes complaints about censorship. But Ive just gotten to the point that I take that for granted. If I want the nice view that sells things, I go to the company owned site. If I want the other side of the coin I will look elsewhere. I dont really expect the worst opinions to be on the company site.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheldron View Post
and Baalz, IIRC the clicking problem was never solved since it's a "physical" one with mouses.
Try to move some dozens of blood slaves/gems, at night, with all computer sound off just to realize how stressing this particular noise can be for a nearby sleeping usually-loving-but-never-in-this-case wife
I play on a laptop and if its late I will mouse click with the laptops mouse buttons as they are much more quiet.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road

good tip.
Ive been playing elemental and i have some spoilers.

*spoilers*
Good to get resourseful and the negative research of magic as racial traits. Theres a power to fast battle move and hit points.
Good the power organized for the sovereign (and more moves). And stupid is not bad research spells its not that hot.
I got an offensive sovereign last night and worked fine. Started with a spear and armor and positive battle skills. Just killed my neighbour in ridiculous AI.
So that dont look good yet. The AI is better now in 1.06, they build better military units but ive never seem them reach metal armor soon enough.
Im sure once it get MP there will be mods for balance. And stardocks job is to improve performance as i have to play on tiny maps and because of that. And even then they lag.

The thing I like the most is designing my units. Thats a big thing. I made this longbomen wraiths in violet robes. And the armored guys with 2h hammer, "punisher".
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:14 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

You are not getting AI confused? I think you need to set it to "beginner", not "insane" for best performance? As you set yourself to "beginner" to have the easiest game, more like in Civ.

LA Agartha guide
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road

No, i play on hardest settings=ridiculous. And its not scary as it should.
Edit: i found out here a thing
http://forums.elementalgame.com/392513
So i was playing with only 1 ridiculous AI. thats misleading.
Edit2: No, i was playing against all ridiculous after all. So AI is weak.

Last edited by Torin; September 2nd, 2010 at 06:26 PM..
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

There is apparently MAJOR breaking news about Elementals release.
Im off to read about it now
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM

Private

Cosian is on a distinguished road

I have and play both ....

Starcraft II is a good example of a very polished game. The campaign is well done and everything works as you expect. That said, it is not much different from the original. At the end of the day, despite probably one of the strongest community and MP interfaces out there, the game itself is a typical 4x RTS .... and I do like it.

Elemental has some potential but is currently an unpolished gem. Version 1.06 is still quite buggy and the AI just plain sucks... Despite its problems, I am enjoying playing it, but my jury is still out regarding whether it will have permenancy here on my hard drive.

I actually stumbled on the Dominion 3 as a result of a post in the Elemtental forums...favorite Fantasy Strategy games to play while Elemental is being fixed..... D3 got a lot of play in that thread and I ended up buying it. I am just scratching the surface, but I really like what I am seeing here despite its dated graphics. It is definetly much deeper than Elementals War of Magic