.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:13 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: YARG - Yet Another RAND Game [7/19 players alive]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post

I'll try to write a AAR when I find time to cover the uneventful campaign that was Man. Not much to mention, but a few scolds to hand out to those who gave away nation id's, and a mention about the OP starting location Pythium had. (A ridiculous 7 provinces automatically safeguarded at the start due to the connection between 200+219 being cut. Bad map editing someone, as Pythium cap should have been a lot further East than it was, or the connection kept open)

Edit: @ Wraith - I'd potentially be up for a CBM sequel. will try to gather some ideas for it (can't think of any right now though tbh, apart from my usual requests of a wrap-around map and not having caps marked with bull's-eyes)
Glad to have you aboard
As for your points re. map - it's clear you have good maps understanding and I think your points are good. Do you think you could apply fixes to the game map according to your comments?
Lol, think I just sound convincing sometimes, since can't claim my understanding of maps is any better than most peoples. Although do know the type of maps I like and the types I don't.

But I suppose I could add my name to the growing list of people who have tried valiantly to balance the start locations on "Glory of the Gods". Only had one bash at map editing before though, but seem to remember it not being too difficult (to use the tools that is).

That one attempt I had, and because of how much I loath marked or fixed capitals, I split the starting locations up into 'zones', so that each nation had a chance of starting anywhere within a small area, or 'zone', but with no actual fixed starting province. And I arranged the start locations in such a way that no two nations could start next to each other ('next' as in one or two provinces apart). I've attached a picture of the map for that game to show more clearly what I'm on about

The map never got used in the end (as a map with more water was needed) so no idea if this 'zone' start idea works in practice. The test games I ran though always had nations starting in separate zones as planned (and not two accidentally in the same 'zone'), but not sure how effective it was at stopping the 'beeline to nearest capital' tactic for rushers. Think it helps a bit, but certainly not as much as pure random starts would.

No idea if a similar 'zone' idea is possible for the Glory of the Gods map though, yet alone if it's a wanted idea in the first place. I know elmokki has done some really nice maps over the past year or so. Maybe worth checking some of them out.

But before all that we probably need to decided which era, as that will influence how many nations are in the game, and how many water provinces are needed (that's if we're having water nations at all that is).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zones for Standards map.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	9713  
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM

Sergeant

Slobby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: YARG - Yet Another RAND Game [Isokron's Midgard wins!]

Congrats Isokron!

I played Utgard.

It was my first time playing them (or any of the niefels for that matter) and the first time that I've gone with a large double bless (E9N9B4). My early plan was to cream someone quick and get a leg up (why buy a 2nd fort when you can take it?). Abysia was the target and after some stumbles I took them out (Pan was harrassing me at the same time).

After the fall of Abysia I then looked at my neighbors. Large Pan to the south, Tien and Gath to the west, Pythium to the north east and Man to the east. The next logical progression was to take out Man because they're known to be weak and then head north to take out Pythium so that I would control the NE portion of the map.

The result? Man put up much more of fight than anticipated and actually took the offensive against me (well done Calahan!). After that Tien came in on the west and I was forced to fight on two fronts, losing territory as the turns went on. All the while my network of spies watched Midgards decimation of Pan.

The final kick was Midgard coming up from the south after ravaging Pan and besieging the old Abysian capital. At the end I had my capital and 1 province, and the Abysian capital was undersiege. Needless to say I was bleeding and done.

I'd definately be interested in another Yarg with CBM, perhaps the next one should be EA or singleage? EA would be fun thematically if you kept the indies at 9, truly a struggle at the beginning of time!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:10 PM

Sergeant

Alpine Joe is on a distinguished road

I was Mictlan. This was one of my first games, and my first non-cbm one. I went with a pretty traditional bless and expansion went decently but then Gath attacked. My troops did well against Gath line troops, but he started deploying Gadol SCs that were very hard to kill. I tried to blitz blood research to get some Anti-SC spells but by the time I researched enough Gath already had me on the ropes. My slave income never really got started so I was low on slaves and B3 mages to make use of Life for Life and other blood combat spells. Then Patala invaded and my jag armies were gone and my Anti-SC counters were useless against him. The end was quite predictable.

I started this game very green and feel like I learned a lot, particularly a high respect for SCs with an earth bless. I would be interested in YARG 2, where I can hopefully avoid 25 turns of sitting in my cap....
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

Yeah, you can sign me up too for the next YARG
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:52 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Calahan: Thank you! how about we go EA for YARG2?
I don't want single age b/c rdonj will randomly assign nations and I want to keep it simple so that the nation pool equals the number of players.
EA has 24 nations so we can enlist up to 24 players. I want to keep the indie 9 and hard research settings. I think they gave a refreshing tempo to this game.

So far we have on board from this game's players:
- Dimaz
- Clahan
- WL
- WingedDog
- Isokron
- Slobby
- Alpine Joe
- TwoBits
- Frozen Lama

9/24

YARG2 thread coming up today.
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:17 AM

First Lieutenant

WingedDog is on a distinguished road

My vote is also against single age. Indies 9 and difficult research sure sound fun.
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:37 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

I also back the calls for not having single age, and keeping high Indy's and tougher research.

@ WraithL - If we go EA on the Glory map and 24 nations, then for the water nations, you'll probably have to make sure we either get the full 24 players, or ensure whoever rolls the nations that all three water nations are assigned. As there's an awful lot of water on offer. Plus on Glory I'd assign (or I will assign with your approval) all the Eastern waters as no start, since the Western sea is too big for just two water nations IMO (especially if the land nations are only having a map average of around 10-11 provinces each).

I'll try and find some time today to browse the map section to see if there are any alternative maps to consider.

@ Isokron - Congrats on a fine win. You're certainly proving yourself to be one tough ombre from the three games I've played with you so far. Looking forward to another tangle here And maybe RL will allow me to fight you as well this time instead of annoyingly intervening to spoil the fun
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM

General

Calahan: We will get full 24 players.
Your idea re. water nations makes sense.
Thanks for following your suggestions with a fix.
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:48 AM

General

YARG2 thread is up
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

So what's the rational behind 'no renaming'? Is it just too much of a risk of identification? I guess I can understand that, but it would be nice to at least be able to rename your commanders to the unit type and magic paths. Oh well, I can live without it. Otherwise, I don't mind the other parameters.