Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old February 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,709 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: AI deployment in generated battles

Quote:
AB said: That will be a nice step foward, along with the ability to position VH is obviously defensive terrain.
I'm curious what you mean by this. The game already allows you to reposition the V hexes before a game and has for quite some time.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..
Old February 10th, 2007, 08:52 PM

Corporal

AB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DRG said:
I'm curious what you mean by this. The game already allows you to reposition the V hexes before a game and has for quite some time.

Yes, i know. I meant that the AI keying off more than three VH combined with the EXISTING ability to manually position VH's.

I find that repositioning VH's works quite well when defending/delaying/meeting;ie, the AI is moving. It hasn't worked well for me when the AI is static, as the AI just clumps around the 0,7 & 14 hexes. I tend to like larger battles, so it will be helpful to have the AI defend more than just the three VH's.

I usually work around this by having a human deploy the AI for me.

AB
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:47 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If we made things 100% predictable everyone would figure the game out in a week and that would be the end of it so when you fight you way through a forest and find a bunker and a AT gun that you think shouldn't be there that's keeps you on your toes.

Yes, one of the things I did first was to fix the original SPII deployment for an advance or attack, which was successive straight rows by platoon in the centre of the map, then a line of the same 2-3 hexes back, and repeat till out of troops. A bit like a Napoleonic battle really. (Don found some nice variant code the game already used for some reinforcement/flankers and we massaged that as well).

In SP3, it was even simpler - whatever the "wavy" deployment line was, just go back one hex and the AI troops were all in a bunched line there conforming to the front line, maybe 2 hexes deep like a greek phalanx. So simply pound 1 hex back from the front deployment zone on turn 0 and you were guaranteed to damage the AI - and as SP3 considered a track hit a "kill", it was the best way to deal with uber-tanks (an 81mm barrage killed King Tigers or M1A2 equally fine in SP3 )

Cheers
Andy
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Heh, 81mm barrage? 60mm was enough for me, thanks
Also, apart from the deployment glitch, there were mines/dragon teeth available even on meetings or delays so a gamey tactic was to buy DT's enough to cover the entire frontline except one gap, through which then AI vehicles were to come and were to be plastered by all arty.