.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old April 13th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Captain

Ygorl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turn 66

Um, when did I "renege on my promise to host"?
I'm somewhat offended/pissed off: First of all I didn't renege on anything (I just said that I was too busy to host when you offered a while back but also said that you didn't mind hosting until you're dead). Second, you didn't even acknowledge receiving the nice semi-automatic hosting script I sent you (which would work if you have a Mac, which I thought you did); maybe you never got it, though, so perhaps it's not fair for me to be upset about that.
Anyway, I'd be much happier if you'd keep the hurling of feces confined to within the game. I've already said that my lack of time to engage in the diplomacy that I'd need (thanks to you, incidentally but irrelevantly) has made it not much fun for me. I don't need this outside-of-game garbage on top of that.

Sorry if I'm overreacting. I'm just very annoyed, and I don't have time to sit and consider whether my reaction and words are justified.
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:04 PM

Sergeant

puffyn is on a distinguished road

I'd be willing to host. I'd love to get a copy of Ygorl's script (I also have a Mac) to make the process easier.
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road

Ah, my apologies. I thought your statement about being too busy to host plus the fact that you are looking for a permanent sub in the game meant you were not planning on hosting permanently. If I misintrepreted your intention, that is not at all surprising (given the difficulties of communicating by writing).

All this diplomacy does indeed take much time, which I have been quite short of lately. Once I am eliminated in COW and the Yarnspinners game ends, I will be down to one game, (which is just about right now for me). And it is just a game anyway. I wonder when Dom 3 will come out... (Shhhh, quiet Panther)

I did receive the script and I messed around with it a bit, but I never did figure out how to use it (or even open it). I finally decided that I was computer illiterate and didn't have a clue about what to do. I had completely forgotten all about it until you mentioned it above. At least now I know I am not quite as lost as I had feared since it only works on a Mac (which I do not have).
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

djo is on a distinguished road

And speaking of diplomacy and time...I would like to apologize for my own somewhat dysfunctional play recently. In particular, I owe Zooko an apology. For the last many, many turns, I've been making his/Sak's/Caelum's life fairly unpleasant with a continuous flood of spies and stealthy preachers. My intention was to petition for war a long time ago, but things just kept...happening. I didn't think it'd be sporting to do anything before the duel was decided (a masterful play on his part, I think). Then I didn't think I'd get votes when Sak was dead (due to sympathy). And I have to do some traveling soon (but I don't know exactly when), and I didn't want to start a war and then have to stale in the middle of it.

So, apologies for my relative disengagement, and for my not terribly sporting "cold war" with Zooko.
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:38 PM

First Lieutenant

Zooko is on a distinguished road

Oh, I really didn't mind the Cold War. Patrolling for spies was the most fun I've had this last year or so.

However, I'm slightly angry that you never attacked me!

Bwargh,

Sakko
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

And I'm ... flooding pissed that you didn't announce that you were going AI. Your post saying "I declare war on everyone" was taken as a joke (especially since it WASNT on the official CoW wiki, and you can't declare war without a council vote). Cheesy, piss poor gamemanship - you could have at least posted, "I haven't found a replacement so I'm going AI next turn".
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:10 AM

Captain

Puffyn, I just sent you the script.

Other folks are welcome to ask for it as well, but I'm planning on getting it cleaned up (and making another script or two to go with it, to make a whole dom2 hosting suite) and posting it generally when I've got a bit more time.

I don't mind hosting, whether or not I find a replacement. I did commit to doing it, after all... Besides, it would only take maybe 20 minutes per week, tops, and that I can definitely find time for. On the other hand, I definitely don't mind *not* hosting, so if puffyn wants to (say, if he's so enamoured of my script that he can't wait to use it) I'd be happy to turn over the responsibility before I even get it...
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:28 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

These mac scripts - are they unix based, or something mac specific? If they're unix-ish, they could be of value to a lot of people, since of number of us are running Linux on a box, or could be.
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:47 AM

Captain

The PBEM stuff is all AppleScript (though it does make some calls to bash). The code that maintains the TCP/IP server is a bash script:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
dom2up=$(ps -xc | grep dominions2)
if [ ${#dom2up} = 0 ]; then
cd ~/Desktop/Dominions\ II/dominions2.app/Contents/Resources/
../MacOS/dominions2 -T -S --port 2247 -q --hours 120 -M conceptbalance_pretenders_5_2.dm (no linebreak)
-M heroes1_2.dm --postexec ~/dominions2/RAND2posthost.app RAND2
fi

that is run every minute by cron. If the server dies, it pops right back up (Weeble-like). There's probably a simple elegant way to account for more than one instance of dom2 (which I am presently not doing) but since I'm only running one game I didn't bother.

The PBEM scripts are, not surprisingly, much more involved.
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:33 AM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
puffyn said:
I'd be willing to host. I'd love to get a copy of Ygorl's script (I also have a Mac) to make the process easier.
There is also some stuff you can do with the Mac OS "automator" to make hosting PBEM easier (e.g., creating & addressing emails, attaching turn files and backing up the game as a zip each turn... all with very few clicks). I think Applescript is more powerful, but I don't know how to write Applescripts. Maybe someday. (I saw a book last weekend called "Applescript for Dummies" and almost bought it.)