.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old September 4th, 2004, 09:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Thufir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbiegame 3 on mosehansen . status : open

Quote:
Cainehill said:
So they know who to team up against.

Exactly! Diplomacy is the newby's great equalizer.

Quote:

Heh. This still leaves you the player with the most games by far, choosing from the very top tier of nations (Abysia, Arco, Pythium (also Vanheim, Ermor, and Caelum)). Taking candy from babies?

I'm in agreement with Panther and Cainehill - sounds a little dodgy, to me. I'm no longer the newest of newbies myself, so I'm not too worried to play against Cohen as Abysia (and I'm always willing to trust to the principle of piling on the leader ), but I would like to see a game that's friendly to any true newbies who might care to join.
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:08 PM

Private

Stossel is on a distinguished road

I think I just messed it up!

I uploaded my god and then I must've smoked too much crack and accidentally hit the start game button. Well, mores the pity to my stupidity cause there was no crack involved.

Sorry, I'm a doofus.
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FM_Surrigon said:
I think I just messed it up!

I uploaded my god and then I must've smoked too much crack and accidentally hit the start game button. Well, mores the pity to my stupidity cause there was no crack involved.

Sorry, I'm a doofus.
np [censored] happens

what have i to do now ? restart or stop and rehost ?
can someone ( e.g. thufir ) tell me plz ?
thnx in advance
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:14 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
FM_Surrigon said:
... accidentally hit the start game button.

S-t happens. I'm not sure what the best way out of this is, but worst case, Boron you can stop the game and recreate a new one.

Also, Boron, when you set up a game you should chose the game option "no client starts". Then when you are ready to start the game, change that option and then start the game yourself.
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:17 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Thufir said:
Quote:
FM_Surrigon said:
... accidentally hit the start game button.

S-t happens. I'm not sure what the best way out of this is, but worst case, Boron you can stop the game and recreate a new one.

Also, Boron, when you set up a game you should chose the game option "no client starts". Then when you are ready to start the game, change that option and then start the game yourself.
ah this is helpful didn't know that

i will try stopping the game and creating a new one i think this is what you did with pandemonium too and probably the only solution

but for what is then the restart game option ?
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:20 PM

Lieutenant General

ok created newbiegame 3 v2 and disallowed now clientstarts so now nothing should happen there anymore
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:23 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Boron said:
but for what is then the restart game option ?
I believe that you can stop a game for some amount of time and then let it run again, if that action does not cause you to go above the 23 game limit. However, if you have opened up a game I would guess that you won't be able to restart the old game (since open games likely count as running games, in terms of the running game limit).

In Pandemonium's case, I also disowned the game, though I don't know if that was necessary or useful.
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:34 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Thufir said:
I'm in agreement with Panther and Cainehill - sounds a little dodgy, to me. I'm no longer the newest of newbies myself, so I'm not too worried to play against Cohen as Abysia (and I'm always willing to trust to the principle of piling on the leader ), but I would like to see a game that's friendly to any true newbies who might care to join.
yeah perhaps i should include if this is your first mp game ever and have never seen a sc in action then this might not be the right game too .

but most of us have i think a few games (1-5) running now and 0-2 finished . so most of us are exactly in between newbie and intermediate i think .

since randomness is such a big factor i think too high fear from cohen as probably the most experienced player in so far is not justified .
if cohen gets e.g. a row of bad events in the first turns like a labblow , unrest , indy attacks etc. i think even an expert player can't do too much against this .

and cohen was so kind of putting a small handicap at himself by taking abysia since they have a bit difficult starting position .

so i would say just go completely unbiased in the game and if anyone seems to be too strong there is then always diplomacy as you pointed out
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:44 PM

First Lieutenant

Huzurdaddi is on a distinguished road

What the heck I'll try out Caelum. It seems like quit a powerful nation.

Oh and FM_Surrigon, I'm currently in one other MP game and I am playing Vanehiem and I have to tell you not being able to get your pretender off of the main island is a real pain. I was quite set back by it.

I was also set back by not knowing the starting locations of everyone on the map which you can learn by just starting a game with all of the players set to human.

I went into the crowded mainland and was quickly turned back and it cost me a good 4 turns. I then went south and took it from matchaka which was easier than getting involved with all of the nations of the mainland. I don't think I'll win that game ( faerun_folly ) but I learnt where to go and where not to go with Vanehiem that is for sure!

The starting conditions on this map are wildly differnet. You *really* should make a game with all of the players played by your to figure out the lay of the land. It will help stop you from making small ( perhaps not so small ) errors like I did!
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:51 PM

Private

Stossel is on a distinguished road

Ok, uploaded correctly this time.