The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 6th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Icaran Super Dreadnought (Beauty Shot)

This new version is looking much better.
Old March 6th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

Starhawk, the command tower on modern warships is mounted on top because modern weapons are not that precise, i.e. they hit the ship and not a specific structure on it. Also, the navy is so bound by tradition that even though they have radars, air cover and satellite surveilance they put the C&C on a tower for greater visibility (this is a pet peev for me).
Anyhow the ship looks good.
Old March 6th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road

Okay for any who would like to read my story for greater details on what's up with the design philosphy (and just for kicks) read go Here

As to what the GFG is, and what it does, the Gravity Focusing Generator produces a gravity field around the ship which enables it to travel through a warp point, if the GFG were not there then the crew would be turned into a substance with the consistancy of chunky salsa unless they got extremely lucky.

The part you see on the superstructure is only one of three (3) parts of the system, there is a focusing generator for and aft of the main super structure element, an invisible energy "stream" connects the three generators to establish the gravity bubble around the ship, however because of the fact the larger the ship the larger the central GFG required, by time you get up to anything bigger then a cruiser the GFG can no longer be mounted in a small unit atop the superstructure and instead requires a much larger support structure.

As to why Icarans fight broadside, shields in the Icaran universe do not work like those of "star trek" or other science fiction, in that the energy barrier that makes up the shield works both ways, basically you can't shoot out through your own shields as you'd just be causing damage to your own shield when the energy weapon and shield barrier interacted.

Thus when a starship fires it's weapons the shields to that whole section must be dropped, the Icaran naval doctrine decided to maximizing firepower and armor to the unshielded section they would have a broadside arrangement for their main firepower, having "chase mounts" with significant firepower foward and aft so that they can sustain fire upon the enemy even while they are approaching for a broadside engagement.
Being that no starship can truely fortify it's for or aft sections with any great deal of success firing chase mounts is done with great care.

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old March 6th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road

If you use gravity shields, all you have to do is adjust for the velocity imparted by going out of the shields.

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:11 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

They don't use gravity shields actually, when I get the mod started up the Icarans will have "null force" shields.

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

Starhawk:
I haven't read this thread, I just looked at the pretty pic you posted in the first message.
I really like the ships, but where did the swastika go?! Hehehe...
Great work.

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old March 7th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

The swastika went where it belongs, right up Hitler's A## hehe.

Actually I just erased it and replaced it with a British style Fighting Lion which looks cool imho with the German eagle...gives it that imposing feeling to me.

Old March 7th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Major General

Null force fields would probally collapse the warppoint.

Old March 7th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

SH, the eagle does look GREAT, but I suggest you enlarge the section under the eagle with the lion. At first glance it looks like a swastika you're getting a distorted view of, and people with low brightness setting or whatever might think it WAS a swastika.

As for the rest, keep the eagle and lion combination. It looks GREAT.
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Major General

To go through a warppoint, keeping a bubble of gravity around you for the ride would 'push open' the warppoint, allowing it to go through