Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Brainstorming Nation Strategies - Page 6 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 5th, 2009, 04:45 AM

Corporal

Kref is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brainstorming Nation Strategies

Any giant nation:

Game mechanic's doesn't allow place a unit "between" two single squares.
So, 4 and 5 sized creatures make formations with the same density of units per square as 6 sized creatures.
It means it is possible to add 1-sized creatures to the squads of 5-sized creatures in a rate of 1:1, 2-sized creatures to 4-sized creatures in a rate 1:1, and 1-sized creatures to a 4-sized creatures in a rate 2:1.
I've just discovered that and didn't tested, also I didn't read this in guides. Testing is needed to discover reasonable mixes for giant nations. I think that it can increase the durability of giants by reducing amounts of blows at them per turn. I suppose small beings with high defence would suit better for such mixes.
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

Swan is on a distinguished road

LA Marignon
-your crossbowman are pretty good for their price, with 10 AP dmg every 2 turns. also the mace allow them to damage something before being killed.
-you have stealth preacher, they can be pretty annoyng.
-your H3/H2 priest are worth double to spread your dominion in another dominion, so dom killing is a choice.
-flagellants + high inquisitor + B9 bless= high damage kamikaze ready to curse your enemy SCs; but is a drastic choice.
-chartmaker is a random pick only mage, so it can be recruited without a lab.
-the paladin is a pretty nice thug, imo, just add some misc items and a brand and he's ready.
-sailing commanders allow you to surprise attack

Emo worm's summons
Prydain, deathborn kingdom
Nameless city expansion pack feat. swan's herd
Venexia, the most serene republic
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll point out that Paladins only are available in the MA, LA Marignon doesn't really have a proper, recruitable, thug chassi.
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

I think he meant MA. At least, iirc inquisitors are MA also. (The inquisition has ended by LA).

Ok, the sailing commanders are LA. Maybe he's just confused?
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Since this thread was already resurrected:
on the comments about how to deck out a Pan Assassin one of the things I push for is Charm or Hell Bind. If the assassination fails, you can still turn the commander to your side. If it works you either end up with a commander + equipment (and taking him down 1 commander at the same time), or you get another combat where the commander attacks his old followers. Both spells require gem/slaves but luckily with Pangaea you have flying scouts which makes refill deliveries very easy to manage.

Having a full army stealthed nearby can make for a quick move-in and setup house in the midst of the enemies territory forcing him to shift armies away from the provinces nearer you.
(works best in big map games)
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

Swan is on a distinguished road

ops, seems like i forgot to split the post in MA and LA

Emo worm's summons
Prydain, deathborn kingdom
Nameless city expansion pack feat. swan's herd
Venexia, the most serene republic
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

Starshine_Monarch is on a distinguished road

More on LA C'tis

If lying dormant isn't really your thing, with CBM C'tis also has access to the very thematic Lord of the Gates pretender that can easily be turned into an early game SC. Try this build on for size:

Awake Lord of the Gates
A2 E3 D5
Dom 9 O3 H3 L-1 M1

Like I said before, Magic 1 is sort of a luxury. A helpful luxury, but still ultimately something you won't really need in the end with so many research boosters going around. You can trade out Magic 1 and instead take Dom 10 for +2 to your Awe or buy E4, A3 or D6 if you're so inclined.

The Lord of the Gates is meant to supercharge your expansion so that you have more gold to spend on more forts and thusly buy more Sauromancers with which to climb up the research ladder faster. Awe and Fear is a great combination, and his basic weapon creates even more fear with each swing. Once you dip into Alteration, this guy becomes quite formidable as he can now lay down Ironskin, Summon Earthpower and Mistform early on, protecting him against lots of things. With Air magic also comes the ability to Cloud Trapeeze, allowing him to show up wherever he's needed most. The Shades and Shade Beasts he generates are ethereal and can block for him while he's buffing up, as well as providing some chaff for him to eat when he puts down Soul Vortex. (Shades are not lifeless, but I haven't tested if SV works on undead at all)

The Lord is no slouch in the lab either. He's really the only guy you have that can give you the Dwarven Hammers you need to build your Skull Mentors. He can also make a pair of Earth Boots for an Earth random Sauromancer so that you can start off Gnome Lore. With D5, the Lord of the Gates is already able to summon Tartatians with just a Skull Staff and Skullface. No expensive Empowerment needed. This is of course after he or one of your D4 Sauromancers uses those to put up Well of Misery. If you can find a province with your old buddies the Lizard Shamans, a (relatively) cheap 30 gem empowerment will give them all they need to forge a Thistle Mace and Moonvine Bracelet, so you then have someone to cast Gift of Reason on your Tartarians. With a Cap and a Coin, this Shaman can also forge the Chalice if you somehow manage to get to it first.

With the magic you put on your LotG and a few boosters, he's also quite a nice combat mage (As if you need any more of those). In addition to the stuff any Sauromancer can lay down, minus the Fire Evocations, The Lord can cast fun stuff like Wailing Winds, Wind of Death, Marble Warriors, Army of Gold/Lead, Earthquake, Rain of Stones and Weapons of Sharpness.

Last edited by Starshine_Monarch; December 12th, 2009 at 10:54 AM..
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:12 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Trog lord + midget masher? If its smaller than him he'll trample it, and if its bigger/same size the midget masher is pointless.
Er, yes, that's true. I don't know what I was thinking at the time. But hey, that's "brainstorming", right?

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:19 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Since this thread was already resurrected:
on the comments about how to deck out a Pan Assassin one of the things I push for is Charm or Hell Bind. If the assassination fails, you can still turn the commander to your side. If it works you either end up with a commander + equipment (and taking him down 1 commander at the same time), or you get another combat where the commander attacks his old followers. Both spells require gem/slaves but luckily with Pangaea you have flying scouts which makes refill deliveries very easy to manage.
When did they add gems required for Charm? I currently have the original, unpatched version of the game, and Charm doesn't need gems. Since I do the same thing with EA Arco, using the Oreiad. Given that Seduce basicaly never works she is an assassin anyways, and scripting Mistform/Charm/Lightningbolt/Spells has a decent success rate.
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:25 AM

BANNED USER

Tollund is an unknown quantity at this point

Charm doesn't require gems.