.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 18th, 2008, 09:08 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Issues With: The User Interface (UI)

3) It took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about with the Magic and National overview buttons. As far as I'm concerned the National overview button is F1. I never use the mouse to get there.

2) Despite having an extra button to push, I much preferred the Dom2 version where "End Turn" took you to the host screen like it does when playing multiple nations. Especially since "e" does the same thing.

1) Not a criticism, but that probably means you're recruiting too many troops and not enough mages. Even in late game, I'll rarely be able to use up resources in more than 2-3 provinces. The capital if I'm still using capital only troops and one or two castles near the front. The bulk of the money goes into mages. So showing resources left wouldn't really help, what I want to know is where I haven't yet recruited mages.
And I know I'm done when there's no money left
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Corporal

Ming is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your comments.

On 1) it is probably because you are thinking MP and I am playing SP. When ganged up by AI's in the late game I need to recruit locally (mages too) at or near the choke points to replace losses as it takes too long to get the troops from my main recruiting centres to all the frontlines. I guess in MP when one is fighting so many players at the same time one might as well give up!
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

The colour of that recruit button switches from grey to gold when you have recruited unist in that province.

LA Agartha guide
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Sergeant

fungalreason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ming said:
My most desired UI changes:

2. The End Turn button should be placed well away from the other buttons. I have prematurely ended my turn in SP several times when I meant to click on the Options button (usually to save the turn when it is a very complex and critical - and interesting - turn and cannot be finished in one sitting). [This can be very devastating as I tend not to copy the saved turns to another folder - to prevent the temptation to "cheat" in SP and load from a previous turn when something nasty happens.]

I'd also like something like this, but for the hotkey version as well. End turn is right next to "r"ecruit, and "R"esearch. I use the others so often that it's easy to accidentally hit "e" instead and end the turn prematurely. It can be devastating in single player (or in mp if you happen to be playing while connected and are the last person to submit a turn). I think a confirmation box, or an option to show one would fix the issue for both situations.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Corporal

Ming is on a distinguished road

Zeldor,

Thanks. That is useful to know. Still, it would be mice to see it in the Nations Overview table instead of having to go from province to province to check it.

Another nice touch would be to have the Nations Overview screen remember where you were at when you last left it instead of having to scroll from the top every time.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:33 PM

Major

AreaOfEffect is on a distinguished road

In regards to accidentally ending your turn in a single player game my solution was always to just close the program. This is made easier by keeping the game in window mode rather then full screen. The game will save all of your moves as the first part of turning and so when you return to the game you can pick up where you left off, as if you never pressed 'e' or hit the end turn button.

I have no work-a-round for being the last submitter in a multi-player game.
Guide Supplement: LA Man - Castle Warfare
Referance: Prophet Transformations
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

If more programs in general would provide for simple human error, we'd live in a far better world.

I encounter this exact same curcumstance at work every day: You spend 15 minutes filling out information for a form, and to complete it you have to click on a button that's less than half a centimeter from another button that cancels everything out.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:33 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

One thing that would really, really help in the ingame Map Editor:
Map +/- to hop to the next/previous province number.

Or any other type of key combinations, like >/< or ,/.

Since editing a map or starting it from scratch involves looking at all the provinces, you have to hit the # key all the time for every single province right now, to make sure that you didn't miss any. New hotkeys would help a lot here.
Emergency comic relief