.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ich\'s Games

Quote:
SsSam said:
No response from either Gandalf or Ich.
I have detailed the situation in a separate thread in the MP section, here: http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...?Number=610156

I don't know why another thread was created here again, as I linked to that thread in all of the games that I have been hosting at the time. Also, I haven't given any updates as there was nothing to report - and I got obsessed with RentACoder.com in the meantime. If you'd have checked my profile, you'd have noticed that I was practically offline from the Shrapnel forums for a week. Since I have no interest to start hosting new games unless the old games are back, I've taken a break. If there was any development at all that I could inform you about, then I'd have done so.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

I didn't take part in any of these games but it doesn't matter actually as I'd just like to say what I think about this.
Generally, I agree with Ich. Hosting is a big responsibility and this responsibility is normally based on pure enthusiasm so it's a bit rude, IMO, to blame someone for not foretelling the disaster and thus not backuping all games on local computer.
I hosted PBEM dom games several times and I may say that it is very unpleasant when someone starts annoyingly blame you if anything accidentally goes a bit wrong. However, I always found the means to deal with such people).
Also I think that you shouldn't mix up disaster with laziness or something. If the host just suddenly disappears with no callback when you know for sure that he is fine and visits forums from time to time than this is irresponsibility and impoliteness. I can say no good about such people (I met such things several times). But this has nothing to do with the case when a host (probably) just made a (not obvious) mistake. This should be understood and forgiven.
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:08 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

My original proposition (hosts hall of shame) was flawed. It was pointed out earlier at this thread and I've seen the error in it. I've even stated as much in an earlier post. So Ich, your response on this was not necessary.

Let me say it again clearly, Hall of shame for host is a bad idea.

Now, a sticky thread with the list of active hosts and some statistics (how many games hosted etc) will be quite helpful IMO. This thread can also serve the hosts as well to post messages to their players like "my server caught fire so X, Y, Z games are lost".
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WraithLord said:
My original proposition (hosts hall of shame) was flawed. It was pointed out earlier at this thread and I've seen the error in it. I've even stated as much in an earlier post. So Ich, your response on this was not necessary.
I didn't read this thread before I started to give replies. I read it from the top down and replied to the posts when I felt like I should comment on them. Since you didn't edit out / delete your proposition, I feel just as eligible to reply to it now as if I'd have done it one week earlier. If you give me input then you should expect feedback on it.

Quote:
WraithLord said:
Now, a sticky thread with the list of active hosts and some statistics (how many games hosted etc) will be quite helpful IMO. This thread can also serve the hosts as well to post messages to their players like "my server caught fire so X, Y, Z games are lost".
That's not a bad idea, but I think that it would quickly join the ranks of the countless other not-being-updated and obsolete threads around the forums here. Feel free to do it.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

wouldnt that be the top sticky that is already in the MP forum?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Nonsense Gandalf! That uhhh, oh the top sticky? The one about MP hosts? That's silly to think that should be used to keeping track of MP hosts.
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:18 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Ich, That's perfectly cool. And since I'm already in the mood of stating what should be clear - then I want you to know that I appreciate your contribution to this community.

Gandalf, do you mean the sticky thread named "Victorious Nations/Hall of Honor"?- Maybe this could work but the thread name should change to reflect the additional information regarding host. Also, If I were to update it, I don't think I'll be able to edit its first post anyway. In any case I think a new thread would be clearer.

Ich, I'm willing to keep such a thread updated. I suggest the procedure used by the MP hall of honor, meaning, hosts will post what game/s they're hosting (with links) and update whenever one of their games is over. I'll gather that information and post it in the following format:
host, # current games, # completed games
Current games list:
1. link 2 game1
2. link 2 game2
Messages from host:
Experiencing technical issues with server. All games are suspended.
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Uhhhh no.
I mean the top sticky.
The one called "MP Servers list "
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

The top sticky is whichever one was posted to last, at least under my forum settings.

Currently "Server Wishlist (command line options)"
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I forgot about different view settings. The way I look at them its always at the top. Point taken. Anyway the one called "MP Servers list"