.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 11th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Corporal

Autochthon is on a distinguished road
Default A Cunning Plan: Trample

Let's see...

I was looking at my notes, and wondered if there was a reason why Trample couldn't be handled like Repel.

Hypothetically, of course.

Namely, compare unit sizes and if the difference crosses a threshold, then Trample is available as an attack.

For example, instead of specifically saying that a unit does or does not have trample, could we not simply say that a unit can trample any unit with Unit Size 2 less or more? So, a Size 6 Titan could auto-trample units of Size 4 or less. Or Size 4 Heavy Cavalry could auto-trample Size 2 Infantry.

I like this concept because it seems simpler to apply. I could be missing something though. Does Trample only apply to particularly bulky units for a given Unit Size? Or something else?

I realize that this is just an intellectual excercise, but I'm curious what the community thinks of this. If such a change would make Trample overpowered, how could it be re-balanced?

"The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness."
- The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but then it'd be Snow White and the Seven Samurai...
-Pinky and the Brain

http://www.lolthulhu.com/
-Props to S.R. Krol
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:34 PM

BANNED USER

AreWeInsaneYet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Cunning Plan: Trample

Not that such a change will make Trample overpowered, but mostly it will make big units USELESS. There are so many ways to stop trample and you'll definitely hope your tarts/elemental royals DO something other than trying to trample your enemy's army.
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

Valandil is on a distinguished road

Also, heavy cav are size 3.

Old October 11th, 2007, 11:09 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I don't think it makes sense. Elephants trample not only because they are large, but because they can't fight - they just stomp along crushing things. Minotaurs can fight, but are bullish enough to squish people under their hooves and so on.

Trample is used by units which use their bulk to simply crush enemies.

As for repel and trample, well I think repel should work vs trample by checking length against size. So pikes could stop elephants trample if they passed a repel test and the elephants would then use their trunk that turn. Spears could stop minotaurs (unless they were berserk) and force them to use their axes, but spears are length 4, too short to stop elephants trampling (size 6).
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:14 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

My suggestion would also allow tramplers to make more use of their weapons, which in my opinion is a good thing. Long spears on elephant back would actually be worth it, minotaurs would get to swing their axes, trampling SCs wouldn't be using two shields as much. Cuts down on generally retarded stuff a bit.
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road

caelum is size 3, but very skinny right... so size isnt a great indication of trampling ability.
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:41 AM

Corporal

Autochthon is on a distinguished road

Interesting reponses so far...

So perhaps Trample would be for units unusually bulky for their Unit Size?

And in real life, most trample-capable animals were trained to overcome their natural reluctance to step on squirming bodies - maybe add a Morale Check to enable?

And, if we treat Trample like a four-legged body slam, that would require the Trampling unit to stop, or at least move at a slower speed.

There is a certain intuitive sense behind this though...a bunch of Size 2 Monkeys shouldn't hold up a Size 4 Chariot, should they?

"The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness."
- The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but then it'd be Snow White and the Seven Samurai...
-Pinky and the Brain

http://www.lolthulhu.com/
-Props to S.R. Krol
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Sergeant

OmikronWarrior is on a distinguished road

You're not the first one to ask if the Trample Mechanic could be changed. Though, such questions deal with how to find an appropriate counters to mass generic tramplers, i.e. Caelum cranking out 4 or 5 mammoths a turn and having an unstoppable "critical mass" of tramplers. A Pretender or other SC with said ability is much less worrisome. It can ultimately be countered with Horror Mark and the fact that there is only one trampler. My own proposal made a morale check against the total length of weapons in the square it was trampling, with amounts over 10 being doubled like Preciscion. If the check failed the unit attacked with whatever weapon it has. The math was fairly pleasing in outcomes.
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new to all this, so apologies if my comments are off the mark.

It seems to me that trampling effectiveness should rely primarily on the SPEED of the attacker.

Carthage's war-elephants were tough (thick hide + immense strength + 10-foot tusk + terrifying appearance), but could be overwhelmed at a standstill. However,a single elephant at full steam could annihilate the most disciplined phalanx. Didn't matter if the phalanx had spears, or pikes, or bazookas; at 30mph, it was simple bowling-ball kinetics.

On the other hand, imagine a chariot pulled by a donkey (war-donkey?). The overall size of the chariot hasn't changed, but you ain't trampling nothing. Horse = speed = effectiveness.
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road

Actually, staring at my own post, what's really most important is KINETIC ENERGY...~Mass * Velocity ^2

Let trampler_ke = (trampler_size)*(trampler_actionpoints)^2

If trampler_ke > some critical value, and trampler_size > tramplee_size, squish.