This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old June 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM

BANNED USER

Cor is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite board games

I love board games. i would play them 10 hours a day if I could, But I cant find the players. Anyway, I am always looking for new ones. So what are your favorites and why?

I will start:

Conquest of the Empire: Great looking peices, the largest map I have ever seen, includes plastic roman gold and silver coins, And you can bribe roman senators. Totally awsome.

Primordial Soup: You get to play a tribe of ameobeas at teh dawn of life on earth, your goal is to evolve and multiply. Who does not want to roleplay ameobeas?
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Sergeant

Warhammer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorite board games

My faves:

Die Macher - A great 4 hour game about German politics. Life preservers? We don't need no steeking life preservers! Soon you will all be eating square tomatoes!

El Grande - I love area control games and this is the best one out there. I love the action cards and how those can completely hose you or make your day.

Federation Commander - Full power to the shields Mr. Sulu. Prepare to fire photon torpedoes. The game goes downhill for me from there though, as I promptly miss with all of my pho torps and get pummeled by nice hot toasty plasma.
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Cor said:
Primordial Soup: You get to play a tribe of ameobeas at teh dawn of life on earth, your goal is to evolve and multiply. Who does not want to roleplay ameobeas?
A little write up I did on one of my games of Primordial Soup:

Students, today I would like to touch on a little known period of evolution. Typically, paleontologists are interested in big fossil finds. However, today, we are going to talk about the first amoeba from which all life evolved. As you know, they all began in the Primordial Soup. The amoebas were defined by color, Blue, Yellow, Red, and Green. For simplicity, the yellow amoebas will be called the Furrballs, the green amoebas the Furrbies, the red amoebas will be the Mr. Andersons, and the blue ones the Whammies.

The gentle easterly breeze forced the amoebas towards the eastern edge of the soup, but soon after, some amoeba learned developed a form primitive locomotion, henceforth known as Movement I. While this did not move them in the exact direction they wished to move, these amoebas had greater freedom of movement then the others. The Furrballs developed a way of rolling through the soup, while the Whammies used primitive pseudopods. Mr. Andersons developed reproduction by spores at this time. Meanwhile, the Furrbies initially had slightly greater numbers than the other amoebas at this time.

As the easterly breeze continued, food began to become scarce in the eastern end of the soup. At this time, the Whammies learned to use their pseudopods not only for movement, but also as a means to eat other amoeba! Mr. Andersons began to reproduce at a prodigious rate, most likely in a response to the ravenous hunger of the Whammies. The Furrballs due to their round shape, seemed to use less energy in movement than the Whammies at this time. Finally, the Furrbies began to show discriminating tastes in their food, and their appetite grew. At this time, all populations grew. However, this soon brought disasterous results.

Even though the flow in the soup changed, there was still very little food, not enough for new population. The Whammies showed a great taste for the Furrbies. The one Furrby that was left, learned how to escape with great speed from the Whammies. However, another threat soon emerged, the Furrballs learned how to roll over the other amoebas and eat the stricken amoebas. Mr. Andersons began to show traits of long life. The Whammies also learned how to reproduce as fast as the Mr. Andersons!

At this point, the blue amoebas seem to have gained a large lead over the other amoebas. With not many Furrbies to eat, and those that were left were tough to catch, it appears that they shifted their predations Furrballs and ate a lot of their population. Additionally, with so many Mr. Andersons in the soup, they were easy targets as well. The Mr. Andersons became scavengers, springing up where any decaying amoeba died. The Furrballs soon became aggressors and turned the tables on the Whammies, and began eating them every chance they got, until the Whammies learned how to escape their predations. The Furrbies became a timid and frugal amoeba, moving with the flow, but never in great numbers, being very selective and frugal in what they ate.

Then, everything changed. A solar flare came, and although there was very little loss of life, the Mr. Andersons lost their longer life span, the Whammies lost the ability to escape, the Furrballs lost their ability to move quickly, and the Furrbies escaped with little harm.

Shortly thereafter, another flare came and reduced the Whammies ability to escape from their predators. They came from every angle. It looked black for the Whammies, except suddenly they evolved. No longer were they single celled animals. They then turned and ate all the other amoebas until they drowned in their own poop.

It was a very close game, as I got out to an early 7 point lead. I maintained this for the rest of the game, however, the end game was tense. Mark and Lawrence were 4 and 3 points behind me. Fortunately, Mark had to eat BOTH Lawrence and me to win. He did this, and I had to eat one of my own amoeba to survive the turn with enough amoeba to keep 5 on the board during scoring. This enabled me to barely end the game. Had it gone on another turn, I would have lost as most of my amoeba were on their last legs, and both Lawrence and Mark were gaining fast.

Additionally, it was interesting to see the spores/division rate/longevity strategy in play. Without Mark and I eating him, Lawrence may have well passed me on the last turn.
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

My favorite of all time is Magic Realm. It had such a unique way of doing the board and the setup. Very "computerish" considering it was pre-PCs.

By the way, Shrapnel does board games also. If you are really a board game person then you shoudl sign up for their beta group so you can help beta test new ones.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:59 PM

BANNED USER

Warhammer, I am glad to hear someone else actually has heard of the game. Great AAR.

Gandolf, I would love to play test, but would I need people to do that with? I have no friends , just kidding I have no friends in Hawaii where i am moving in a month.
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Sergeant

Again, for magic realm, go here:

http://magicrealm.dewkid.com/rspeak/realmspeak.htm

You can play Magic Realm solitaire, TCP/IP, etc. It works great. Playing solitaire, the WH scored some obscene score like 112 points or something. It was incredible.
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:27 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Yesterday I was speaking with a friend regarding the use of boardgames to educate my students. I'll be teaching more history next year (after summer), and had an idea of using History of the World to get my students into the chronology of the world. Unfortunately the game seems to be out of print. I have the game, but I would prefer if the school could purchase, say four, games

Other games we discussed were Pax Britannica, Maharadja, Britannia, Repiublic of Rome and Diplomacy.

Of these I think HotW suits my needs best, but PB and M could be useful regarding colonial history and the the case of PB the motivations of states and the reasons behind the WW1.

Republic of Rome would probably be good for a few students, but a bit too deep for most of them. There is a lot of history hidden (or not hidden) in that game.

Other ideas?
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

When I try to pick a favorite boardgame from my collection, I usually go with Avalon Hill's _Merchant of Venus_. The designer started out trying to make a game about the 16th-17th century Spice Trade, but found that it was easier to get the sense of exploring unknown lands seeking exotic trade goods by switching to an SF setting.

Of games that are still easy to find, my current favorite is probably _Carcassonne_.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:16 PM

BANNED USER

A game to teach students? Its only about the Cold War but it is the most accurate game i have seen as far as history and understanding why events happened and when, it Twilight Struggle. In addition to all that its fun to play. However its only 2 players.
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Hmm, 2 players are a bit too few. I would like to have a workshop with about 15-20 students playing under my guidance